Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Me too, and I live 100 km from the U.S. border!
There are obviously a few American things we are totally ignorant about. Some of the TV shows, sport events (American sports are mostly an American thing, the rest of the world tends to follow different sports) like the Superbowl and World Series. As for say kid's shows, talking with my American friends, it seems I was familiar with 90% of what they were as kids (e.g. Disney channel, Nick, the movies of course), while we got a lot of great British, Australia and Canadian content which they did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,842 times
I like IHOP

Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I like IHOP
I believe there might be an IHOP in Canada in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

I think the closest IHOP to me is probably 300 km away in Syracuse, New York.

I have been to Syracuse and all over the States in fact, but I have never been to IHOP. Never been to White Castle either, which also seems to be a popular reference marker in American popular culture.

Though I have been to Chuck E. Cheese and Applebee's!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,842 times
Quote:
I believe there might be an IHOP in Canada in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

I think the closest IHOP to me is probably 300 km away in Syracuse, New York.

I have been to Syracuse and all over the States in fact, but I have never been to IHOP.

Yes, they are 3 IHOPs in Niagara Falls and 2 are walking distance from each other . There are some out west in BC.

I only been to Ihop in the states. It's one of the few restaurants that my cousins will eat at. such picky eaters.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I wanted to eat at IHOP, but with so many options it was hard to fit them all in!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
People here always ask me if I know this, saw that or ate this when I was a child, and 99 times of 100 I don't know what they are talking about. Like some ( long discontinued but popular kids food and drinks ), old B&W sitcoms ( not movies or actors - those are familiar to me), comics, Disney characters, famous sportspeople etc. I know some tunes, because I can hear them play on radio even today, but the rest??? Even some popular sayings/one liners are not familiar to me. They will associate events and persons by nicknames, that have no meaning to me.
I was born and raised behind Iron Curtain, and I didn't had access to any of that stuff.
Most people shake their heads and cannot believe that its even possible not to know those things... Many have no idea that there was and still is a different world outside the US.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
I grew in in Colombia and I used to read the hard cover books in the 80's(in Spanish)

I would say some people knew about Tin Tin, others didn't.

I didn't know they had a cartoon. I really enjoyed those books, they were quite entertainting.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Yes, they are 3 IHOPs in Niagara Falls and 2 are walking distance from each other . There are some out west in BC.

I only been to Ihop in the states. It's one of the few restaurants that my cousins will eat at. such picky eaters.
Close a dozen of them all over the lower mainland.

p.s.
and 3 "Five Guys Burgers & Fries"

Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
Quote:
There are a few Applebee's in southern Ontario and the website for Applebee's seems to have locations for a few other cities and provinces. I remember eating there for the first time maybe just over a couple years ago.

I must have gone to Chuck E. Cheese once as a kid (maybe early primary school age) so it must have been there for at least almost around a couple decades. It was one of the locations in the Greater Toronto Area.

I remember back in the day, Chuck E. Cheese's was seen as so awesome, and such a cool place to go for your birthday or something, by my peers. There were arcades and games and prizes and animatronic puppets or something, but I barely recall it as the last time I went was probably only that one time and not again after.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:16 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
and 3 "Five Guys Burgers & Fries"
That chain just barely made it into Canada pretty much a little over a year ago, and I think they want to open a lot more in other provinces (I don't know if they've got one in Ontario yet).

I was passing by a few cities in Alberta last year and saw it for the first time at Medicine Hat, and I later on realized that it was some new American chain that had pretty much just opened or something. An American I was with at the time swore that they had, like "the best burgers ever", but I happened to skip over eating there at the time.

I should try their burgers sometime when they open one near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World