Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,632 times

Advertisements

Both the TinTin comic series (I'd always written it "Tintín" lol) and Monty Python are rather popular in Spain and have been very well-known ever since I can remember. Also, Asterix, Lucky Luke and my personal favourite (and not as well-known): Le Petit Nicolas

I read those books and watched those movies when I was a child from the mid 80s to the early 90s. I guess the comics aren't as widely read nowadays (we're in manga territory lol) but, when TinTin is referenced, most people of any age know what that is.

Last edited by noela; 12-15-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
When I heard TinTin recently I didn't know what it was. Only later did I realize I already knew it under the name 'Tim und Struppi', its German name

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,797,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here is another one - Saturday Night Live.

Is it well-known in Commonwealth countries or elsewhere?

In Canada, almost all anglos would know it and the target demographic would be able to recite a number of the most famous sketches.

It's well-known for sure in Canada, but when I lived in England I never heard it referenced once. ( Take this for what it is - opinion, but in my experience even mediocre Brit comedies tend to be funnier than most SNL. SNL tends to coast on celebrity appeal in every one I've watched. )

It seems to me SNL means more to my parents' generation than to me. ( The Muppet Show is another one I tend to associate with an older generation, though in the reruns I've watched it had its moments. )

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM

213 posts, read 865,938 times
Growing up in India in the 80's, I got to read all the Tintin comics. Those hardcover comics used to be very expensive, so I would devour any issue that I could lay my hands on. I wouldn't say that Tintin is a household name in India but almost all of my friends have read and are fans of Tintin.

Interestingly, Tintin - the movie was released in India a month ago. I can't wait for it to hit the theaters here in US.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:44 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Quote:

In Canada, almost all anglos would know it and the target demographic would be able to recite a number of the most famous sketches.

Some francophone Canadians would have heard of it vaguely but few would pay much attention. Even among the ones who know some English it would be really rare to find a Québécois who can refer to famous sketches or characters from SNL.
I think the comedians who has become famous there are more well known than the show itself.
Most of the times it is mentioned is when something special, like Ashlee Simpson's lip synching, has happened.

Persionally I think they should have cancelled the show in 1995 or so, but before that it was great, specially the years around 1990.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I was aware of Tintin, but never really enjoyed it. Asterix I knew and enjoyed a great deal as young child.

Everyone in Canada knows Monty Python.

Canadian here, familiar with the ones I bolded. I'll also add:

Smack The Pony
Do you mean Drop The Dead Pony? Very funny and intelligent comedy about a TV news channel.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 PM

285 posts, read 703,475 times
Some of the classic British comedies are shown on PBS stations in the United States, so they're not totally unknown.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I was aware of Tintin, but never really enjoyed it. Asterix I knew and enjoyed a great deal as young child.

Everyone in Canada knows Monty Python.

Canadian here, familiar with the ones I bolded. I'll also add:

Keeping Up Appearances
Red Dwarf
Smack The Pony
Waiting For God

I'm not sure if Father Ted counts as British ( not Britain, but British Isles ).
Oh yeah I was going to list the first two, both hilarious! I don't think America has anything like it.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:

Some francophone Canadians would have heard of it vaguely but few would pay much attention. Even among the ones who know some English it would be really rare to find a Québécois who can refer to famous sketches or characters from SNL.
I always heard about Saturday Night Live and it annoyed me because I didn't know what show they were talking about. I had to google it and check out clips on youtube. It seems it's very popular and many famous comedians starred on it.

A bit like some other American things. I heard people referring to 'IHOPs' all the time and I had to google that.

Last edited by Trimac20; 12-16-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A bit like some other American things. I heard people referring to 'IHOPs' all the time and I had to google that.
Me too, and I live 100 km from the U.S. border!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World