Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK, we are having fun with Tintin. Now let's try another one:

Monty Python!

Personally, I know Monty Python because I lived many years in English-speaking Canada. It seemed like a household name there. I am pretty sure most English-speaking Canadians of my generation could recite bits of the famous Dead Parrot sketch...

Now, Anglo-Quebecers like BIMBAM probably know of it but outside of them Monty Python is virtually unknown here in Quebec. Even most Québécois who are bilingual and know English probably wouldn't know about it.

What about Americans? Is it a household name there? Among people who grew up in the 70s and 80s?

Obviously the British know it (as do Aussies and Kiwis) but what about continental Europeans?
I never saw Monty Python until the 80's when I came back to the states I spent the 70's and part of the 80's in Spain and the show never made Spanish TV back then. I think the humor would be hard to translate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
I lived in Costa Rica for the past eight years and TinTin was on TV all the time - hence, I assume that many people are familiar with the cartoons. Not sure about the comic books, though.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,473 times
Being a Belgian, I've known Tintin (or Kuifje as he's known in Dutch) for as long as I can remember. But the comic books never particularly appealed to me, don't really know why.
I've always loved Asterix though, with its fine humour and its beautiful drawings. I have all the albums and I've seen all the animation films back as a kid.

We all know Monty Python over here in Flanders, wonderful show.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I thought everyone knew Monty Python...

I wonder how many classic British comedies Americans are familiar with...

Too many to name,

Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Dad's Army
Are You Being Served
The Young Ones
Peep Show
The Mighty Boosh
The I.T. Crowd
Black Books
Absolutely Fabulous
The Vicar of Dibley

etc

If not they are really missing out...

Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Blackadder
Fawlty Towers

Dad's Army
Are You Being Served
The Young Ones
Peep Show
The Mighty Boosh
The I.T. Crowd
Black Books
Absolutely Fabulous
The Vicar of Dibley
The ones in bold are the only ones I have even heard of, and Fawlty Towers is the only one I could really describe even remotely. And I'd say I am 100 times more familiar with this stuff than the average person in Quebec.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Blubbering barnacles, boring you say??
I suppose this is one of Captain Haddock's colourful expressions in English? I am not at all familiar with Tintin in English...

Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suppose this is one of Captain Haddock's colourful expressions in English? I am not at all familiar with Tintin in English...
I forgot the name of the sailor bloke with the black beard and blustery temper, but he always said 'blazing barnacles' or something like that lol. I don't think it was blubbering barnacles, no, lmao.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
I read tintin when I was a kid. I also read asterix as well as Enid Blyton books. sadly people in USA are unaware of them.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
Captain Haddock - "Billions of Blue Blistering Barnacles"
Quote:
I forgot the name of the sailor bloke with the black beard and blustery temper, but he always said 'blazing barnacles' or something like that lol. I don't think it was blubbering barnacles, no, lmao.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Tintin has been very well known in Sweden, at least since the seventies, together with Lucky Luke, Spirou, Asterix, Gaston and the likes.
They also happen to be my favourite comics.
And yes, we all know of Monty Python.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World