Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
~ big sigh ~
What part of my post made you sigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Here in italy foreign names are not popular at all

here the list of the most used named for new born in 2012 in italy
Nomi per Bambini più usati in Italia - 2012

for girls the first (and only) non italian name is Nicole, 25th
for girls names are quite frequent the H added at the end of the name (like Samantha, Deborah, Sarah) or Gessica written with the J (Jessica). it's also becoming quite frequent the name Andrea as first name also for girl (traditionally we give the name Andrea to boys, because it's the italian for Andrew).
for boys the first non italian name is Christian (25th) or Cristian (29th).

I know just one family that gave foreign names to their children. they call them "Nicolas", "Norman" and "Chantal".

in general we still prefer traditional names.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Did they do the same thing with Adams, Madison, Monroe, Van Buren, Polk, Fillmore, Buchanan, Hayes, Garfield, Cleveland, McKinley, Taft, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Bush?

They probably did with Tyler, Taylor, Pierce, Lincoln, Grant, Arthur, Harrison, Wilson, Johnson, Carter and Clinton.

Washington, Jefferson, Jackson and Kennedy are names that are used for sure.

Roosevelt, Lincoln and Wilson are used as first names in Brazil.

The others, not that I know.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Very popular indeed.

Parents just have no idea those names are actually surnames.

I think it's because in the USA and UK it's usual that people are known by their surnames, but that's not usual in Brazil.

If president John F. Kennedy is often presented as "president Kennedy", many Brazilians will assume Kennedy is his first name. No wonder there are many people in Brazil called Kennedy (first name).

I believe there are already some kids in Brazil with first name Obama.
That makes sense actually!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
I have also seen it spelled in spanish "Guasinton" (Washington).
Other names that are spelled different using spanish grammar are:

Yanet = Janet
Yeni = Jenny
Yina = Gina
Yulian = Julian

How about Usnavi? I thought it was a Native American name until someone told me it comes from US NAVY!!! I've met Colombians and Venezuelans with this name.

I hate the Yanet, Yenifer, etc...names. They big me for some reason!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:23 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
How about Usnavi? I thought it was a Native American name until someone told me it comes from US NAVY!!! I've met Colombians and Venezuelans with this name.

I hate the Yanet, Yenifer, etc...names. They big me for some reason!

There was an urban legend...back on my military service days....that there was a Guamanian/Chamorro (from Guam) guy with that very same name (Usnavy). He was asked why did his parents picked that name.....he would answer that his father worked at the US Navy port in Guam, so he chose to give his son that name.
I heard this back in the 70's.....don't know if that tale is still going around.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,306 times
There is a man in my country who gave names to his sons - Bill and Clinton

Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Parents in Japan have fairly recently (within the past half century) started giving some English-style names to girls.

The -a ending which is so noticeable on Western girl's names, was not a traditional feminine name ending at all in Japan. But now you can find many girls named:

Juria (Julia)
Sara
Maria
Anna
Risa (Lisa)
Erika
Ria (Leah)
Rina (Lena)

As well as An (Anne). "Akage no An" (Anne of Green Gables) is hugely popular in Japan, and apparently a lot of parents have named babies after her.

There are also a couple of native names which happen to coincide with Western names, such as Hana (Hannah) and Naomi.

Names which are easy to say and write in Japanese are pretty limited. They are never going to adopt names like Elizabeth or Jennifer, which are just too awkward in Japanese. And boy's names from the West don't seem to have caught on. My nephew lives in Japan and married a Japanese, and they have two sons. He had a hard time, but finally managed to find boy's names that work in English and Japanese. They are Kento (Kent) and Rei (Ray).

Also, during the Year of the Tiger (2010) many boys were named Taiga, which can be written in kanji and passed off as Japanese, but really comes from the word Tiger.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times
I've never heard of a Portuguese with an english name.
But there's a lot of brazilian william's, anderson's, wilson's, etc...

Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
I've never heard of a Portuguese with an english name.
But there's a lot of brazilian william's, anderson's, wilson's, etc...
I once saw an tv interview with "O Rei" Edson Arantes Do Nascimento AKA: Pelé.
He was asked where his name (Edson) comes from,...to this, he answered that his parents named him after the inventor Thomas Alva EDISON, but they used the Brazilian/Portuguese way of pronouncing the name...thus, Edson.
The rest...is football history.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World