Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM

218 posts, read 506,966 times

Advertisements

The US. Corporate control of the government, enormous income inequality and very low income mobility, alarming rates of obesity and religion (aka stupidity), labor laws that are ridiculously pro-employer (not even mandatory PAID vacations), way too many guns, racism, bad healthcare system...the full list would be very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,815,210 times
Based on what I've seen in city-data, maybe New Zealand? Now, I've never been there and actually want to visit the country, but have noticed that many Kiwis seem to bash the country pretty hard. So my assumption that it is a bad place to live are based on that, FWIW.

I have a hard time believing it is as bad as some Kiwis say.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,739,563 times
You're probably right. And the stronger the capitalist/free-market influence, and the least oversight, the more the control is at the hand of the wealthiest, and the worse the lifestyle is for all but the most wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I would say it is a tie between the US and the UK, with the US probably being the worst due it having the most pervasive capitalist/free-market influence...

Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Based on what I've seen in city-data, maybe New Zealand? Now, I've never been there and actually want to visit the country, but have noticed that many Kiwis seem to bash the country pretty hard. So my assumption that it is a bad place to live are based on that, FWIW.

I have a hard time believing it is as bad as some Kiwis say.
NZ has a cost of living similar to Oz but with much lower wages. It's generally a greyer, sadder, but very beautiful place to live in.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 AM

18,536 posts, read 18,779,287 times
of course Scotland s a country. where did you get that info from that we arent.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Scotland is a country but not an independent nation. It's a country within a country.
its a trick one to categorise

its not a country in the true essence of the word

Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,119,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its a trick one to categorise

its not a country in the true essence of the word
Of course it´s a country Irish Bob, within a union but still a country.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
several reasons -

1. it has been mismanaged for decades
2. there just aren't enough people to sustain a healthy economy
3. they have no exports
4. the government wants its poor people to stay poor and the rich to get richer.
5. the Maori population are unfairly represented in Govt and bleeding the country dry.

Unless you're into extreme sports, NZ is the most boring country in the world. It has literally NOTHING going for it, apart from the stunning scenery.
new zealand has a world class agricultural export sector , unfortunatley , that kind of product is always at the mercy of commodity markets and even though the kiwis are top in cutting costs in this area , its a small margin product , of course being so isolated doesnt help either

new zealand would thrive in tourism if it wasnt so far from everywhere , ireland recieves about trebble the number of tourists each year that new zealand does and our tourism product is below what they offer IMO , of course our diaspora is huge and an american from new york is content to merley drink a pint of guinness in connemara

as for the culture in that country , its very young and outside of maori culture , the only culture it has is rugby culture and its about the only thing the country seems to rally around as a community , there doesnt seem to be much social solidarity which is surprising for a small rural country , ireland has a fantastic community spirit in rural ireland , so too does wales and scotland , although to a lesser degree , new zealand does not have this from what ive seen , i think the country struggles with national identity , it strives to be distinct from its more famous neighbour , its more british than australia , i put this down to the much smaller irish influence going back two hundred years but it is more likely down to the fact that new zealand was too small to stand on its own feet apart from england to the degree australia can confidently do

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,467,427 times
I am shocked at everyone who said USA has the worst quality of life.

I chose Japan, because any nation where people are committing suicide because of on the job pressure, is in far more trouble than what we have in the USA.

Yeah, once in a while we have an office shooter, but it's nothing like someone jumping off of a building because of job pressures.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
several reasons -

1. it has been mismanaged for decades
2. there just aren't enough people to sustain a healthy economy
3. they have no exports
4. the government wants its poor people to stay poor and the rich to get richer.
5. the Maori population are unfairly represented in Govt and bleeding the country dry.

Unless you're into extreme sports, NZ is the most boring country in the world. It has literally NOTHING going for it, apart from the stunning scenery.
No exports? What have you been drinking?

Going by various (current) international indexes, NZ is anywhere from 5th to 15th for QOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World