Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, this is fascinating. So what are N. Ireland, Wales and Scotland, kind of like Celtic Native reservations? They have internal sovereignty only, but aren't allowed to pursue their own foreign policy or have their own standing armies?
+1 , its only the scots however who get all riled up about the fact that they are as british as finchley , the upcoming referendum in a few years will further proove this , they will vote to stay in the union by a large margin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Maybe in 2 years Scotland will be independent with the referendum in 2014. I am all for it.
appetite for independance in scotland is grossly over exagerated , the scots are fiercley patriotic and nationalistic when scotland are playing england in rugby or football but they are as british as any english man at the back of it , more so in some parts , the idea of an independant scotland might sound warm and fuzzy but practical matters will win out in the end , the scots are not a particulary confident people for the most part and will cling to london

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I'm all for Scottish independence if they want it, but I wouldn't trust Alex Salmond..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
+1 , its only the scots however who get all riled up about the fact that they are as british as finchley , the upcoming referendum in a few years will further proove this , they will vote to stay in the union by a large margin
It probably depends on which Scots you talk to. My grandfather was Scottish, and he never talked about being British, was proud of being Scottish. That was his identity, not British. Maybe back then it was a generational thing.

But here's a question for those in favor of Scottish independence; if they were independent, what would their economy be based on, besides export of woolens? How would the country sustain itself? Political independence can't go far if there's not economic independence. What would happen if oil were found off the coast of an independent Scotland? Would England try to claim it?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Oil is a sensitive issue when discussing Scottish independence - some argue oil in 'Scottish waters' would belong to Scotland, but some argue since the Scottish government have no control over North Sea Oil (it isn't even included in their GDP), it would all belong to the UK government.

Oh, and then we have the Royal Bank of Scotland, Alex Salmond wants to hand the burden of that stupid bank to the rest of the UK - hahahaha, I don't think so, it's a Scottish bank.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Oil is a sensitive issue when discussing Scottish independence - some argue oil in 'Scottish waters' would belong to Scotland, but some argue since the Scottish government have no control over North Sea Oil (it isn't even included in their GDP), it would all belong to the UK government.

Oh, and then we have the Royal Bank of Scotland, Alex Salmond wants to hand the burden of that stupid bank to the rest of the UK - hahahaha, I don't think so, it's a Scottish bank.
Is it a failing bank, does it need a bailout?

It sounds like Scotland hasn't done a very good job of preparing itself for independence. Before political independence there needs to be a basis for economic independence. Scotland hasn't made serious effort to protect its interests, it sounds like. Probably because the people in gov't tend to be pro-UK, I'd guess. Probably the people agitating for independence aren't the people who have any power to make important decisions regarding sovereignty and control over economic resources.

Besides, if it's the UK gov't that invested in North Sea drilling, then one could argue they should be compensated for their investment if Scotland were to take over the resource.

Has anyone on the Scottish independence side thought any of this through? Doesn't sound like it. Moves for independence can't be based on mere emotion, there's a very practical side to it that needs to be addressed and planned for.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,801 times
Why would people say Poland and USA? Polands economy has been doing well? Im polish i have family there and they are doing well.. they are your avg citizens.. also why the USA? You can be poor in the usa but still have 200 dollar air jordans etc.. bc of food stamps section 8 etc.. i mean there are low income people who live in $2000 aptartaments bc of section 8

Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Do you personally know someone who is poor and has $200 Air Jordans? If you do, I'd like to ask some questions about this person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Why would people say Poland and USA? Polands economy has been doing well? Im polish i have family there and they are doing well.. they are your avg citizens.. also why the USA? You can be poor in the usa but still have 200 dollar air jordans etc.. bc of food stamps section 8 etc.. i mean there are low income people who live in $2000 aptartaments bc of section 8

Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM

I used to live on the west side of chicago.. humboldt park..austin..garfield park..lawndale..there were lots of people who were on welfare..food stamps..section 8..cha who ran around in 200 dollar pairs of jordans

Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM

They would also have 1000 dollar flat screens in their living room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World