Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I don´t think that is true for everyone, well I cannot speak for all Europeans but knowing many people in Spain the majority of them prefer medium sized towns rather than the hustle and bustle of city centres. I would rather live where I am now than living in any city with the pollution, high cost of living. I´d rather live in the tranquility of my town and be close to a city - we are 40 minutes from Málaga and close to other towns. Rather have the mountains and the beach than the stress of a city.
And why do think city centres are so expensive? Because nobody wants to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
And why do think city centres are so expensive? Because nobody wants to live there?
I am sure there are people wanting to live there, it takes all kinds to make a world.

However cities are expensive because they know there are people who are crazy enough to pay the prices for renting and sometimes it's because of jobs which lures many people to live in cities (immigrants) but in my village there are people who want to live in the country but cannot afford it. Land alone where I am is expensive. The value of houses in my area are around €350,000. Why do you think it is so expensive? Even in Mallorca it's extortionate

Look at the Scottish highlands too. Very expensive. Both sides of the spectrum for you.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,960 times
Still, I would never agree that Europeans love suburbia the way Americans do. A long commute in a European city would be considered a walk in the park compared to American commuting.

The people who would love to live in the country probably would have to find a job there first, unless they really want to spend 4 hours a day going home-work-home.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM

There's a lot of people from up north especially from Madrid who have holiday villas and apartments where I live. I am 10 minutes by car from the coast which brings a lot of Scottish, English and Germans to the town which is pretty small. As far as jobs go theres plenty in the medical field, no shortage of hospitals or clinics here and teaching jobs. I think it all boils down to your likes and job sector.

I find my region to be expensive only as far as housing is concerned and being close to Marbella too this area is desirable and it's not even Málaga city.

The thing is that I am close to the Sierra Nevada national park and other towns, the sea etc but yeah I agree America is totally different I lived there for 6 months and hated it, you cannot walk anywhere - I had to drive everywhere even by living in a moderately sized town. It´s totally different from Europe.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Ive always wanted to live in America Scotlass since I was a young girl.. what area did you live there..

Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive always wanted to live in America Scotlass since I was a young girl.. what area did you live there..
I lived in MS in a very large town, but there was a lot of poverty there, no social security net if you became unemployed, medical care was expensive as so was my car insurance. There was a lot of racism and gun crime, I didn´t feel as safe there as I do here in Spain and even when I lived in Scotland I didn´t feel as threatened. Everything that I earned in the medical field was basically going to these costs, I lived much more comfortable in Scotland. I also spent a lot of time in NC, SC, GA and AL. I have a much better life in Spain.

I believe living in America is very overrated. I was shocked at the costs of health insurance and car insurance, there is also a HUGE rich/poor gap. It´s nothing like Europe It´s sad.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,413,794 times
South Korea... work, work, and WORK!! High school students are studying at school until midnight or go to private academic school.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Taiwan.

Hong Kong is pretty bad for average HKers too.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I lived in MS in a very large town, but there was a lot of poverty there, no social security net if you became unemployed, medical care was expensive as so was my car insurance. There was a lot of racism and gun crime, I didn´t feel as safe there as I do here in Spain and even when I lived in Scotland I didn´t feel as threatened.
Mississippi is the poorest state in the US, and I think it's too bad that you are basing your opinions on the whole US on this state and its immediate neighbors. There is certainly still some racism in the south. Medical care and car insurance are expensive in this country yes. However, I'm pretty sure people can collect unemployment money if they lose their jobs, even in Mississippi, so let's not get carried away.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,727 times
This thread is for Singapore!!

Singapore may have a very high GDP per capita but the cost of house is way too high! It's not a problem if you have a good paying job that pays you $5000 or more a month.

For an engineer like me working in a nice company, still house expenses for 3BR is already $2700 per month, that is about 50% of my entire monthly net income. Even if my wife work, it is NOT worth it since child care is also very expensive. I have to rent out one bedroom to a friend to lessen the house expense.

Now, there are many workers in Singapore living in $800-$1000 monthly income, those who work in the restaurants, mall..how can they live in a $1000 monthly salary? Take note, Singapore doesn't have minimum wage as of yet. So what they will do is to share in an apartment room, about 3-4 people in a room, or stay with their parents. Obviously these people cannot marry and have kids. Now wonder, the fertility rate of the country is way too low.

COL is fast rising but salary is very stagnant in the past 10 years.

Singapore capitalists have to resort to foreign workers (cheaper) to lessen their labor cost. Local singaporeans are losing their edge and have to lower their salary expectation to be able to compete with foreigners. At the end of the day, the capitalists win, the middle class lose. Worst scenario, businesses will pack up and head to Malaysia or Philippines to open up their offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World