Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times

Advertisements

Doesn't one need good credit for a credit card? Last I checked, the only "credit card" one could get with bad credit was one that wasn't a credit card at all, but a deposit card - you deposit your money and then spend it with a card that looks just like a credit card.

To have good credit, you have to meet certain standards. Having no money, making no salary, and showing only welfare checks does not get you a real credit card. However, you CAN get a "deposit" card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Why take a loan? All you need is a credit card for thoes, its much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,801 times
Do you know what section 8 is?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,801 times
This is how you do it.. from what i know you get on medicaid and section 8.. and if u are low income..the section 8. Pays for your housing and medicaid for your medical stuff

Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
[quote=Saritaschihuahua;24733247] So I'm still utterly confused about the $200 Air Jordans.

Cash changes hands in American low income areas constantly. Many, many poor Americans have a hustle, whatever that hustle may be.

I'm utterly confused that anyone in the U.S could be utterly confused about poor folks wearing expensive shoes or owning a cell phone or having a car.

The fact that the US even made the list, let alone has the most votes, is a joke.

Most poor people in this country have food stamp cards, section 8 housing, disability checks, welfare checks, access to countless food banks, soup kitchens, community college grants/loans and job training, ibrary internet access..etc.

Never in the history of the world have poor people had such a high quality of life as the poor in America today.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 AM

244 posts, read 593,082 times
[quote=Dport7674;24737586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So I'm still utterly confused about the $200 Air Jordans.

Cash changes hands in American low income areas constantly. Many, many poor Americans have a hustle, whatever that hustle may be.

I'm utterly confused that anyone in the U.S could be utterly confused about poor folks wearing expensive shoes or owning a cell phone or having a car.

The fact that the US even made the list, let alone has the most votes, is a joke.

Most poor people in this country have food stamp cards, section 8 housing, disability checks, welfare checks, access to countless food banks, soup kitchens, community college grants/loans and job training, ibrary internet access..etc.

Never in the history of the world have poor people had such a high quality of life as the poor in America today.
this is simply not true, and actually kind of offensive. i grew up in periods of hard times in the us, but was lucky enough to have close family that wasn't...that is not the same story for many other people who i know, and practically the entire high school i went to. then i think of my peers in italy and the NL who are by their standards considered "poor"...and they live scores better, and have far better access to lifes basic needs. section 8 and food stamps etc exist for a small percentage of the actual "poor" and those kind of programmes do not by any means make up for the lack of resourses for those who are struggling

Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is it a failing bank, does it need a bailout?

It sounds like Scotland hasn't done a very good job of preparing itself for independence. Before political independence there needs to be a basis for economic independence. Scotland hasn't made serious effort to protect its interests, it sounds like. Probably because the people in gov't tend to be pro-UK, I'd guess. Probably the people agitating for independence aren't the people who have any power to make important decisions regarding sovereignty and control over economic resources.

Besides, if it's the UK gov't that invested in North Sea drilling, then one could argue they should be compensated for their investment if Scotland were to take over the resource.

Has anyone on the Scottish independence side thought any of this through? Doesn't sound like it. Moves for independence can't be based on mere emotion, there's a very practical side to it that needs to be addressed and planned for.
You're 100% right. Scottish politicians have not thought this through. Recently they declared the UK would continue to run Scottish banks upon independence, only for it to be claimed illegal just a few hours after it was announced!! Bunch of jokers with no vision or credible plan. I feel sorry for Scotland, I hope they get rid of these goons.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Absolutely. I know someone who is a Section 8 landlord. He was once a regular landlord but changed to becoming a Section 8 landlord. The people he rents to are very, very poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Do you know what section 8 is?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You're 100% right. Scottish politicians have not thought this through. Recently they declared the UK would continue to run Scottish banks upon independence, only for it to be claimed illegal just a few hours after it was announced!! Bunch of jokers with no vision or credible plan. I feel sorry for Scotland, I hope they get rid of these goons.
Well, there's nothing wrong with pushing for independence, as long as you know what you're doing. You need an economic development plan and a credible, practical way to pursue it. You need to lay groundwork in advance, like begin to negotiate with the UK over the oil issue, and so forth. You need to research legal issues involved with any economic change, like the bank question, the oil issue, etc. You need a team of gov't people who are all on the same page and supportive of the effort.

Sounds like the pro-independence people need to spend a very long time at the drawing board, first.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I chose Poland even though I have lived there before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Poland is still relatively poor, its infrastructure hasn't fully caught up with western Europe's yet, and the cost of living is insanely high relative to wages.

However, I enjoyed living there more than in some developed nations. Of those on the list it's the worst, but not by much! If Greece had been on the list I'd have voted for Greece instead.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM

495 posts, read 684,979 times
For me as a single man the most important factor would be how do women veiw a poor or average man for dating or serious relationship.I don't want to have to srtive to be an aspiring emporer in order to date well.The U.S would qualify as worst for my quality of life in this regard.As I have never been to the other countries I would like an opinion on how they would fair in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World