Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Singapore sounds like the worst. From news sites, interviewees say that they don't sleep enough, hate their jobs, and don't smile. That sounds like pretty bad quality of life. To top it off it's also the least emotional country, doesn't seem like a nice place to live
From a true blue born, bred and still living in Singapore Singaporean, Singaporeans whine a lot and they dont know how to be contented that is why it seems like it a very bad quality of life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:24 PM

198 posts, read 259,612 times
USA? No. I've been to Ireland and can say they have a lower standard of life, and Poland. I'm sure Singapore does, too...

Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
In Europe everyone dreams of being to live in the city centre and to afford it one day. Suburbs are generally loathed by most people. The opposite happens in North America, that's why the average American city centre is completely lifeless at night.
I prefer living downtown, but I know most people in France dream of a proper house with a garden.

Here in Italy, the best thing people dream of is an appartment on top of a building and a big terrace. They care less about separate houses. Anyway the country is more densely populated and people are more into socializing.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Here in Italy, the best thing people dream of is an appartment on top of a building and a big terrace. They care less about separate houses. Anyway the country is more densely populated and people are more into socializing.
I assume Spain is similar? There didn't seem to be much in the way of recognizable suburbs in the same relatively low density housing with houses.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I prefer living downtown, but I know most people in France dream of a proper house with a garden.

That is a natural evolution of density of population effects. Those countries with a more recent history of agrarian background and unsettled frontiers are going to have a greater percentage of population being averse to living in apartments.

It has not so much to do with socializing though. Many of us would enjoy the aspects of a neighbourhood pub we could walk to and from, but are stuck instead with alcohol beverage laws dating back to prohibition era where drinking and socializing establishments are limited in location so as to force people to drive but dare not consume lest they become the next ad for DWI driving. Forced and licensed morality, as it were.

What is the reaction, by even New Yorkers, witnessing those videos of subway train "people-pushers" in the east? How about the pictures of a typical Pakistani or Indian train commute with hundreds of people riding on the tops and sides of the trains?

It beggars the imagination to think of getting dressed for a day of work in a fresh suite and tie only to be physically crammed into, or having to climb up the side of a filthy train car.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What is the reaction, by even New Yorkers, witnessing those videos of subway train "people-pushers" in the east?
New Yorkers don't need people-pushers, they can shove themselves.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:18 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,316 times
Just get sick - really sick - and you'll RUN, not walk, to N. America. I was here (in Canada) in the first place, having come from the U.K. 40+ years ago.

My father died (aged 65) in England. It took (count 'em) 5 operations to complete a quintuple bypass, and he died after the fifth operation, after eleven days in a coma. $hit, we do those here in four or five hours!

My brother (he lives in Florida) is in a lower, lower economic bracket due to sickness, and he's receiving stellar care. He's 54 and 'should have been dead' four or five times now, but the doctors are excellent and he's receiving the best possible care; I know, I keep my finger on the pulse of it.

I can't think of any country in the world that isn't messed up, but when TSHTF or the lights go out, give me N. America every time - and preferably Canada. Second on my list would be Australia, for all the same reasons.

Mahrie.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:37 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,016,078 times
Poland is a second world nation in Eastern Europe, certainly not 1st world. Get your facts straight.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl..._countries.htm

Old 11-07-2014, 06:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
This poll shows :
The US and Poland win exaequo the Gold medal of bad quality of life
Singapore and UK the Silver medal
South Korea and Spain the Bronze medal

Spain...that hundreds of thousands of North European expatriates and snowbirds call home....I have some doubts about this kind of polls...

Old 11-07-2014, 06:49 AM

91 posts, read 117,808 times
You know City Data is a joke when more people think that the US has a lower quality of life than Poland, South Korea, or Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World