Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Lol---this thread is freakin' hilarious. I know that for some weird reason, when I've gone to the campsites in France, they have the stupid rule that men cannot go into the pools UNLESS they're wearing those Speedos.

Needless to say my husband and sons haven't been in a pool in France. I think it's an embarrassment thing--who want people to see your shrunken "package" after after coming out of a cold pool? I can't say that even I'd want to see it!
You are wrong. France didn't force you to wear speedos, only that you can't wear those long and baggy shorts which people wear to walk on the street. You know there is something in between if you don't like speedos.

No, you are not obligated to show your package. There are slightly long and roomier swim suits on the market that don't look as stupid as the 3 feet long trunks.

Wearing speedos is not stupid. Fearing wearing them is.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Quote:
Wearing speedos is not stupid. Fearing wearing them is.
Hmm to me it's not about fear. I just don't like to wear them and don't like to see them.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Is there a big difference between American and Canadian styles? When I went to America everyone was into their looks you know they worked out and wore loads of make up. But when I went upto Canada we went to a wedding and the people there were just waring normal clothes. They didn't seem to care and we were the only ones who bothered to dress up.??
I agree.
Canadians in general are not fashion-conscious as Americans. Even in cities like Toronto, in formal occasions people don't seem to care about being dressed properly. When I watch Canadian TV shows, many of the anchorpersons and hosts just wear daily outfit, unlike on most American shows, where it is obviously the hosts are wearing something formal and nice specifically selected by the station/sponsors that you don't see people wear on an everyday basis.

In the work place, I constantly find professional men wearing creased old shirts. what makes it worse, they often wear crew-neck tank-tops which actually show! I mean, at least wear some deep V neck tanks that don't show below your neck

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I associate knee-length swimming trunks with old men in their 50's who wear sandals with socks.

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a speedo before.

Experience tells me most men here wear these types of swimming trunks

http://www.mensgroominguk.co.uk/images/mensswimwear.jpg

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
It is not just the U.S./Canada, and it is not due to modesty. I have a collection of swimming trunks (I don't collect them, I just have a drawer of old clothes :-) which includes short ones from long ago and long ones from recent years.

It is called 'fashion'.

There is probably a wikipedia article on fashion in your native language. Maybe read it?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I associate knee-length swimming trunks with old men in their 50's who wear sandals with socks.

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a speedo before.

Experience tells me most men here wear these types of swimming trunks

http://www.mensgroominguk.co.uk/images/mensswimwear.jpg
that is what I was talking about.

Many people seem to believe that if not knee length trunks, sometimes with 2 pockets (do we really need pockets in the pool?), tight speedos are the only option and therefore all the counter-arguments are about the dislike of speedos rather than the issue itself.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree.
Canadians in general are not fashion-conscious as Americans. Even in cities like Toronto, in formal occasions people don't seem to care about being dressed properly. When I watch Canadian TV shows, many of the anchorpersons and hosts just wear daily outfit, unlike on most American shows, where it is obviously the hosts are wearing something formal and nice specifically selected by the station/sponsors that you don't see people wear on an everyday basis.

In the work place, I constantly find professional men wearing creased old shirts. what makes it worse, they often wear crew-neck tank-tops which actually show! I mean, at least wear some deep V neck tanks that don't show below your neck
You see I thought there was a difference too. Because, In America the clothing style was similar to here. But in Canada it was totally different. The people just wore normal clothes they made no effort to dress up at all. Maybe it is something to do with their climate? I'm not sure but it is odd.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
My friends in Brasil tend to wear board shorts to the beach, with a speedo like swim suit under. As we sit around the beach, everyone I am with is wearing their board shorts, then they drop them to go in the water. I liked this idea and do it in Brasil, but not in the US.

I'm not saying I see lots of guys wearing speedos, I'm just saying there seem to be varying concepts of men's dress in Brasil.

Also, my board shorts are quite light, I do not feel they drag me down at all.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Decent boardies are made from lightweight material that doesn't absorb water or provide significant drag. They're also ok to wear around town. Do you really need a grape hammock for speed when you're doggie-paddling around the pool or wading in waist-deep to get rolled in the whitewash with the other tourists at the beach? Who do you think you are, Michael Phelps? Why not wear a neoprene beanie and shave off all your body hair while you're at it?

I can't say why other people wear boardies. I wear them because they're convenient and dry quickly. Most have a key loop so you don't have to hide it on your car or bury it in the sand. I can surf all morning, rinse off in the parking lot, and 10 mins later be dry enough to stick my wallet in the pockets and go to a coffeeshop, movie, or whatever. Why don't women wear them? I dunno, same reason they don't wear cargos, I guess. Cuz they like purses or something, probably.

Don't speedos leave weird tan lines? I'd rather be all pale down there than have a little white triangle like a bobtail deer or something.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Decent boardies are made from lightweight material that doesn't absorb water or provide significant drag. They're also ok to wear around town. Do you really need a grape hammock for speed when you're doggie-paddling around the pool or wading in waist-deep to get rolled in the whitewash with the other tourists at the beach? Who do you think you are, Michael Phelps? Why not wear a neoprene beanie and shave off all your body hair while you're at it?

I can't say why other people wear boardies. I wear them because they're convenient and dry quickly. Most have a key loop so you don't have to hide it on your car or bury it in the sand. I can surf all morning, rinse off in the parking lot, and 10 mins later be dry enough to stick my wallet in the pockets and go to a coffeeshop, movie, or whatever. Why don't women wear them? I dunno, same reason they don't wear cargos, I guess. Cuz they like purses or something, probably.

Don't speedos leave weird tan lines? I'd rather be all pale down there than have a little white triangle like a bobtail deer or something.
A bit out of the water:>)

Speedos does make a variety of men's swim wear from next-to-nothing to trunks to lightweight short shorts over something. DH wears something along the line of the infamous Speedo with almost weightless 12 inch shorts. Absolutely decent for a man of his age and 38 waist.

Good swim wear is expensive. Cheap long shorts drag a lot of water out of pools especially public ones not to mention the contents of some pockets form cigarettes to who knows. That is the reason they got banned in a lot of place in Europe.
The deer is a white tail and the spot is on the other end of the equation>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World