Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I think your confusing the refusal of US men to subscribe to the worldwide trend of feminization of males with the fear of gayness.

Yes, especially in eastern Asia and Oceania, men are becoming more feminized; wearing makeup, fitted clothing, styling/dying their hair. Europe too, to some extent. That is fine for them.

Myself, I prefer to leave the fitted pants, tight shirts, fake eyelashes and eye liner to the girls or Europeans. I'm glad I don't have to wear them. I'm glad some guys, gay or straight, get a thrill out of that stuff.

I'll wear a nice shirt or something that makes me look good, but usually only on the occasions when we're out and I don't want people to think my wife married a tasteless slob (even if she did, since those nice cothes are things she picked out) as I'm happy to remain quasi-clueless about fashion and focus on other, more appealing (to me), diversions.
I think you are confusing not liking to do something with being afraid of doing somthing because it will be considered feminine.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think you are confusing not liking to do something with being afraid of doing somthing because it will be considered feminine.
Do you even live in the united states? lol

Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,356 times
Quote:
No, those are pretty easy to keep separate. Eyeliner is not fun for me. Neither are tight pants or speedos. Having to wear such things to be socially acceptable would make me unhappy. You can put bananna hammocks on all the manliest men in Machoville, and call boardies "water skirts" and have only old ladies wear them, but that's not going to make me give mine up.

Based on what's fun for me, as a guy, I can only guess that the European and Asian trend toward dressing up and other feminizing aspects is driven by social pressure. Take away that pressure and I reckon that "guy" stuff would make a comeback. Because seriously, you can't tell me that you actually like tweezing your eyebrows. Even women don't like a lot of the beauty work they suffer through, they do it to fit in. I can see that European men are more likely to do the same for the same reasons. Thus the proliferation of grape smugglers.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How old are you? Your posts are simpleminded and just plain wrong.
every post gets crazier and crazier

Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
I am sorry this is a dumb thread though. Can it be because North Americans have a differnt culture? This is like asking why don't Europeans wear baseball caps as much as North Americans do? Who cares.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Default 72.3% of American men are fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They are just not popular here and are hard to buy, i actually have a pair of speedos and gone to the beach with them and the looks on peoples face are priceless.

I'd like to see a source that states that most men in north america are fat
Speaking only about the US, 72.3% of men are fat.

Note that this percentage is the combination of adding overweight (but not obese) men, plus the percentage of men who are obese.

Often, only "obesity" statistics are published, as if being "overweight" (but not "obese") doesn't matter. When the numbers are combined, it turns out that most men in the US are, in fact, fat. Maybe not congestive-heart-failure-and-diabetes fat, but fat enough that they don't belong anywhere near a speedo.

See below for more information, right from the NIH.

WIN - Statistics

Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Quote:
All round the world, from Asia to Europe to South America, men wear short swimming suits. It seems only in US and Canada, men have to wear their ridiculously long and baggy shorts in the pool. from a practical point of view, aren't they heavy once in the water?

What are they afraid of? On the other hand, women can wear next to nothing but it seems totally fine. Why are men so conservative? Is it because most men are fat and therefore this tradition?
It's a combination of puritanical attitudes and style.

Board shorts aren't heavy when wet. Whatever they're made out of, the ones that I have don't really absorb water. They shed most of it.

The overweight thing may not be related to not seeing a lot of short swimming suits. Given the extra weight most American guys carry around, one might consider the lack of short suits on American men, to be a fortunate side effect of the culture.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
Boardies came about due to the surfer culture and just caught on with the rest of the population. It's a style. No need to bash men of various countries - USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc. - or question or analyse their motives or psyche, just because they dress differently at the beach than Europeans. They should wear whatever they feel more comfortable in.

Boardies are made from lightweight, quick-drying fabric so they're not as awkward as some think. I have a couple pairs myself, and I'm a woman. Mid-thigh, they're actually more comfortable at beaches with surf than bikinis, where the waves can cause all sorts of unwelcome "wardrobe malfunctions", not to mention the sand gathering awkwardly in them. And if you like bodyboarding, there are serious chafing issues if you don't wear boardies.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM

55 posts, read 62,948 times
People are being too opinionated about stupid stuff like this.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I am sorry this is a dumb thread though. Can it be because North Americans have a differnt culture? This is like asking why don't Europeans wear baseball caps as much as North Americans do? Who cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonJohn View Post
People are being too opinionated about stupid stuff like this.
Seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World