Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All round the world, from Asia to Europe to South America, men wear short swimming suits. It seems only in US and Canada, men have to wear their ridiculously long and baggy shorts in the pool. from a practical point of view, aren't they heavy once in the water?

What are they afraid of? On the other hand, women can wear next to nothing but it seems totally fine. Why are men so conservative? Is it because most men are fat and therefore this tradition?

I think a lot of them are tubby, plus, US men wearing shorter suits get called gay and we in the US are very insecure about that. Bugs me that US is like this

Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,928 times
Kemba, is "thigh" a euphemism? Yes, women don't like the overt display of it that you get in Speedos. I assume gay men still wear them because men do like it being displayed like that. But in terms of attracting women, it's the secondary sexual characteristics, not the primary one, that is of interest to most.

IYKWIM

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Kemba, is "thigh" a euphemism? Yes, women don't like the overt display of it that you get in Speedos. I assume gay men still wear them because men do like it being displayed like that. But in terms of attracting women, it's the secondary sexual characteristics, not the primary one, that is of interest to most.

IYKWIM
No, "thigh" is the part of the leg above the knee, which is now taboo in this culture to not have covered up if you are of the male gender. Before this cultural shift, women liked or did not mind that men wore shorter shorts, to include swim attire. Now, I can understand people of both genders, myself included, that don't like the bulge that speedos show in some wearers, but that does not necessarily mean that one must wear the extreme opposite to avoid that.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ In all the videos I see of Copacabana beach I see PLENTY of men of all ages in speedos. And no one bats an eyelid. Granted many have the bodies for it, but some don't.
They probably have the genitalia for it as well. Some of us men simply need more support than the typical speedo can provide.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
In the 1950's the brief style bathing suit ("speedos") were just as popular as the boxer shorts type, and the latter were very short. And in Canada the boxer type were rarer than in the U.S.

And nowadays people can use words such as "expose themselves in public in their underwear" to describe these bathing suits. How deliciously prudish America has become!

I parked at a local beach while getting a soda a few minutes ago. The beach (in southern Portugal) is popular with foreigners, but is heavily Spanish. I noticed two sights apropos this thread. I saw a guy in those ultra long and very wide shorts that U.S. boys call bathing suits. When he got ready to go into the water he dropped those culottes, and was wearing a brief "Speedo" that he went swimming in. Another guy came out of the water similarly suited and then pulled on a pair of American bloomer shorts.

Given that the water gets seriously deep there, I suppose they were not interested in being dragged down by so many yards of wet cloth.
Agreed, as a matter of fact, drownings of young men caused by long shorts made of "yards of wet cloth" dragging them under the surface have skyrocketed in recent years.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 AM

308 posts, read 897,249 times
a lot of insecure fat guys with small penises.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
No, "thigh" is the part of the leg above the knee, which is now taboo in this culture to not have covered up if you are of the male gender. Before this cultural shift, women liked or did not mind that men wore shorter shorts, to include swim attire. Now, I can understand people of both genders, myself included, that don't like the bulge that speedos show in some wearers, but that does not necessarily mean that one must wear the extreme opposite to avoid that.
Yes it's funny, isn't it, shows how fashion trends can change people's ideas of what body parts are appropriate to show. In the 1910s it was scandalous for a woman to show her calves, a decade later no one batted an eyelid. So if the fashion returns to short shorts for men, as it has been in the past, these attitudes will change with it.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Oh, not penis, then? Because its penises we don't find attractive.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Oh, not penis, then? Because its penises we don't find attractive.
Correct, thigh is just the upper part of the leg.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
So you are a lesbian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World