Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

^ In all the videos I see of Copacabana beach I see PLENTY of men of all ages in speedos. And no one bats an eyelid. Granted many have the bodies for it, but some don't.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times
I can't imagine that any town would permit people to expose themselves in public in their underwear! (Which is basically what a speedo is)

Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
I can't imagine that any town would permit people to expose themselves in public in their underwear! (Which is basically what a speedo is)
So is a bikini.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
In the 1950's the brief style bathing suit ("speedos") were just as popular as the boxer shorts type, and the latter were very short. And in Canada the boxer type were rarer than in the U.S.

And nowadays people can use words such as "expose themselves in public in their underwear" to describe these bathing suits. How deliciously prudish America has become!

I parked at a local beach while getting a soda a few minutes ago. The beach (in southern Portugal) is popular with foreigners, but is heavily Spanish. I noticed two sights apropos this thread. I saw a guy in those ultra long and very wide shorts that U.S. boys call bathing suits. When he got ready to go into the water he dropped those culottes, and was wearing a brief "Speedo" that he went swimming in. Another guy came out of the water similarly suited and then pulled on a pair of American bloomer shorts.

Given that the water gets seriously deep there, I suppose they were not interested in being dragged down by so many yards of wet cloth.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Is it really about prudishness? I just don't like to see more ugly mens legs then necessary.

The only disadvantage I noticed with the large ones is they will need a certain time to become dry after swimming.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Its the style. Period.

much like on the Maine seacoast you see Men from Quebec wearing capris pants.
You guys (Americans) don't wear those? I go down to the States every once in a while but this is something I have never noticed.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Um, it doesn't have to be full cargo pants or teeny undies speedos.

Why not just short length shorts? Then you don't have the 'bulge' you're so scared of and you don't have to wear a full-length ball gown to go swimming.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I parked at a local beach while getting a soda a few minutes ago. The beach (in southern Portugal) is popular with foreigners, but is heavily Spanish. I noticed two sights apropos this thread. I saw a guy in those ultra long and very wide shorts that U.S. boys call bathing suits. When he got ready to go into the water he dropped those culottes, and was wearing a brief "Speedo" that he went swimming in. Another guy came out of the water similarly suited and then pulled on a pair of American bloomer shorts.
That's what I do when in Brazil, but I do it to dry a bit faster, especially in the "less hot" months. The long shorts I typically wear are an inch or so above the knee, are relatively form fitting, but have the advantage of a pocket that I can keep a valuable or two in.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Is it really about prudishness? I just don't like to see more ugly mens legs then necessary.

The only disadvantage I noticed with the large ones is they will need a certain time to become dry after swimming.
Yes, it's really about prudishness....see the fashion forum for the male concerns about wearing sandals, or shorts above the knee......American guys act like there was some kind of Sharia Law regarding their bodies.

Tell ya, I love America. I never miss an episode, and it's all right here in C-D forums.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol, do people really believe that everyone in North America dresses the same?
Apparently I wear baggy clothes now? and people really think no Europeans wear baggy clothes either? Interesting world.

Haven't you noticed the endless threads on here belittling Americans. Apparently only American men are afraid of being seen as gay. Laughable. You wonder what America they have visited. Maybe in the past there was more fear of "gay", but times have changed and are changing. Where I live gays and straights hang out together all the time. No big deal.

I have friends in Europe and they wear board shorts for the same reason as Americans. Cause they happen to be in style at the moment. In the 70's with Mark Spitz in the USA flag speedo, they were popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World