Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
In Spain it depends on the region. Normally, people in the north and the Atlantic coast has a more "conservative" way of dressing.
In the northern beaches the vast majority of young people use long shorts, but in the mediterranean beaches and in the Canary islands people tend to use shorter swimsuits.

The most common bathing suit was this

But in the last years the speedo has become very common, or a little bit longer version of speedo.

With the topless it's the same. In the north it's not really common, in the Med. coast there are more girls in topless than girls with bikini tops.

The only European country that I think the speedo is widely used is Italy.
Why do they wear speedos anyway? Are they over confident in Italy or do they just not care.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Why do they wear speedos anyway? Are they over confident in Italy or do they just not care.
because one goes to the beach to

1) tan
2) swim

and for both purposes, Speedo works more effective than long boardshorts?
Nothing to do with "confidence". It is not like those long trunks can hide one's fat belly and turkey neck.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 150,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All round the world, from Asia to Europe to South America, men wear short swimming suits. It seems only in US and Canada, men have to wear their ridiculously long and baggy shorts in the pool. from a practical point of view, aren't they heavy once in the water?

What are they afraid of? On the other hand, women can wear next to nothing but it seems totally fine. Why are men so conservative? Is it because most men are fat and therefore this tradition?

Absolutely every man in North America is fat and disgusting and since they cannot compare to any other man on the planet they hide in their knee length swim trunks with no shirt on.........seriously?

Perhaps the men that wear those trunks are more comfortable in them, a wee bit like the choice between boxers and briefs. Personally I don't see why anyone else would care what trunks a man has on as long as he has them on. Unless of course he is at a nude beach or nudist colony. Anyway, how humans present themselves is their choice I do however think some of them could make better choices but that is my opinion.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Well imo its everything to do with confidence. It would kill me to wear those things. Because: 1. the looks you'd get would be nothing short of a disaster. 2. Its sort of associated with the gay community. 3. Its ugly and kind of DANGEROUS. - (you know what I mean.)

I suppose in Mediterranean countries they tan alot and have lots of sun so are probably more comfortable with doing this.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:00 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I was on the beach near Alicante and I don't remember seeing any speedos. I did see some topless women, but it wasn't common. And those swim trunks above ^ would be common on a US beach as well.
Really? I'm surprised, one of the place where I have seen more girls doing topless is San Juan. Maybe depends on the month. Whenever I've gone there is Easter, there are many students from other cities who spend vacations there, and the girls have less shame to take off the bikini top if they know they are not going to see anyone they know.

It's not the the typical speedo of swimmers or water polo players, it's a little bit longer, something similar to a boxer, and I didn't mean it's the most common, but it's quite normal to see it. Years ago not.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I don't really know. Mainly these speedos are worn by a specific type of guys, a Cristiano Ronaldo style, big muscles, wanting to be very tanned and worried about being brown and draw the attention of the girls. Probably they have a lot of confidence.

the truth is that I've heard several girls say they prefer these small swimsuits because the marks left by boardshort are ugly

Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,571 times
I will attempt to answer this question with this post that I posted on the "What's with older dudes and short shorts" thread. Although t also his was about shorts, the same reasoning applies to why American men wear long swimsuits. Here it is:

I agree that today's shorts for males are rediculously long and baggy, but I am starting to see the return of shorter mens' shorts. However, it will be awhile before upper or mid thigh mens' shorts, if ever, become popular again. I mean no offense to anyone for what I'm about to say, but I see this for several reasons:

1. Short shorts on men are now considered gay by a large section of the population, both male and female alike. This is largely due to a cultural shift that occurred in the mid to late 1980s, where men started covering themselves up as a reaction to the Gay Identity movement at that time. Hip Hop went mainstream at that time, and its long and baggy style became the only way for males, young and old alike, to dress. All clothes for males, especially younger males, from the 1990s on until about 2 years ago, was long and baggy. At the same time, females began showing more and more skin. Go to any beach, and you will now see men wearing big, bulky, and long-tentlike boardshorts and women wearing barely nothing, tie on the side string bikinis. At the same time, if a guy wanted to wear short shorts, it would be very hard because hardly anybody makes them for men anymore, with the exception of running shorts, and even most men now wear those longer, too. The only athletes who were the short shorts now seem to be marathon runners and professional wrestlers.

2. At least one whole generation of people were not alive or were very young when men regularly wore shorter shorts. They are now entering their 20s, and it will take a lot to convince them that this is an okay thing to do. There is a group on Facebook called "Men Can Wear Short Shorts Too" where the members often talk of harrassment by others for wearing short shorts and being men. The harrassment includes having strangers take their picture, rude comments from young men and women alike, and being pointed and laughed at. I once saw an older man wearing short shorts being harassed by several teen boys, one of which kept saying to the man "Why don't you just say that your gay!" and holding his cellphone up as if he was recording the incident.

3. Most heterosexual women these days, young and old, actually prefer to see males in longer shorts. I don't know why that is, but maybe someone can shed some light here, but they act as if the male thigh is a very disgusting thing while not even minding seeing other females nearly naked.

4. Most men value their manhood above just about anything else, and especially, their straight manhood if they are straight. While women have fought for and won, and rightfully so, many of the social acceptance and freedoms that they now have, I believe that a lot of men would feel fighting for some things, like the social acceptance to wear short shorts, will be an affront to their straight-manhoodness.

Now, shorts for males are becoming shorter, right above the knee. I think that if somehow, a young alpha male pop cultural icon goes around in short shorts, then the look has a good chance of coming back. It will be a tough sell, but possible. I think that men should be allowed to wear short shorts if they want to. I know that I would.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 15,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I will attempt to answer this question with this post that I posted on the "What's with older dudes and short shorts" thread. Although t also his was about shorts, the same reasoning applies to why American men wear long swimsuits. Here it is:

I agree that today's shorts for males are rediculously long and baggy, but I am starting to see the return of shorter mens' shorts. However, it will be awhile before upper or mid thigh mens' shorts, if ever, become popular again. I mean no offense to anyone for what I'm about to say, but I see this for several reasons:

1. Short shorts on men are now considered gay by a large section of the population, both male and female alike. This is largely due to a cultural shift that occurred in the mid to late 1980s, where men started covering themselves up as a reaction to the Gay Identity movement at that time. Hip Hop went mainstream at that time, and its long and baggy style became the only way for males, young and old alike, to dress. All clothes for males, especially younger males, from the 1990s on until about 2 years ago, was long and baggy. At the same time, females began showing more and more skin. Go to any beach, and you will now see men wearing big, bulky, and long-tentlike boardshorts and women wearing barely nothing, tie on the side string bikinis. At the same time, if a guy wanted to wear short shorts, it would be very hard because hardly anybody makes them for men anymore, with the exception of running shorts, and even most men now wear those longer, too. The only athletes who were the short shorts now seem to be marathon runners and professional wrestlers.

2. At least one whole generation of people were not alive or were very young when men regularly wore shorter shorts. They are now entering their 20s, and it will take a lot to convince them that this is an okay thing to do. There is a group on Facebook called "Men Can Wear Short Shorts Too" where the members often talk of harrassment by others for wearing short shorts and being men. The harrassment includes having strangers take their picture, rude comments from young men and women alike, and being pointed and laughed at. I once saw an older man wearing short shorts being harassed by several teen boys, one of which kept saying to the man "Why don't you just say that your gay!" and holding his cellphone up as if he was recording the incident.

3. Most heterosexual women these days, young and old, actually prefer to see males in longer shorts. I don't know why that is, but maybe someone can shed some light here, but they act as if the male thigh is a very disgusting thing while not even minding seeing other females nearly naked.

4. Most men value their manhood above just about anything else, and especially, their straight manhood if they are straight. While women have fought for and won, and rightfully so, many of the social acceptance and freedoms that they now have, I believe that a lot of men would feel fighting for some things, like the social acceptance to wear short shorts, will be an affront to their straight-manhoodness.

Now, shorts for males are becoming shorter, right above the knee. I think that if somehow, a young alpha male pop cultural icon goes around in short shorts, then the look has a good chance of coming back. It will be a tough sell, but possible. I think that men should be allowed to wear short shorts if they want to. I know that I would.
And I think if people have a bad opinion about short shorts they should be able to wear board shorts. I know I would.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonP View Post
And I think if people have a bad opinion about short shorts they should be able to wear board shorts. I know I would.
I agree, but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way the other way around.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
In France, it is mostly young men of North African origin who wear board shorts, because they do not want their genitals to be obvious for so-called religious reasons. As for the "gay thing", they are the group where males kiss each other the most in greeting, so that is one factor that they cannot invoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World