Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's just that the fashions are different in North America! You can analyze why they are, but that's really what it comes down to - fashion. People wear long shorts because that's what's cool and no one wants to be the dork wearing the swim suit type that went out of fashion in NA thirty years ago. Same reason guys stopped wearing parachute pants. I could see it change back if someone or something started a trend that made smaller suits cool again. Skinny jeans came in, so I could see it happening some day.
I have a pair of Quicksilver swimming shorts of normal length. These are designed in Califirnia so either they are export only or there are still sensible people in NA who don't want to look like Cletus Spuckler when they go to the beach.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All round the world, from Asia to Europe to South America, men wear short swimming suits. It seems only in US and Canada, men have to wear their ridiculously long and baggy shorts in the pool. from a practical point of view, aren't they heavy once in the water?

What are they afraid of? On the other hand, women can wear next to nothing but it seems totally fine. Why are men so conservative? Is it because most men are fat and therefore this tradition?
You're right, it is quite bizarre to see young American guys coming out of the sea, swathed in yards of soaking wet cloth.

This shift toward ever-larger and longer bathing trunks began in the late 80's and accelerated in the 90's from what I saw in the U.S. This was the era of AIDS and of the increasing visibilty of gay men (who were very casual about showing their bodies), so it seemed to me that it was a reaction by American guys against the possibility that they might "look gay."

This "does it look gay if...." seems to be a regular theme among American men in the clothing and fashion forum...sandals, shorts, you name it.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
Maybe because some of us are modest, and want to keep our junk where it belongs?
*hint* I can't wear speedos.

T.
If a guy doesn't know how to buy a pair of Speedos to accomodate his junk, it's because his junk is a really a sock full of laundry.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You're right, it is quite bizarre to see young American guys coming out of the sea, swathed in yards of soaking wet cloth.

This shift toward ever-larger and longer bathing trunks began in the late 80's and accelerated in the 90's from what I saw in the U.S. This was the era of AIDS and of the increasing visibilty of gay men (who were very casual about showing their bodies), so it seemed to me that it was a reaction by American guys against the possibility that they might "look gay."

This "does it look gay if...." seems to be a regular theme among American men in the clothing and fashion forum...sandals, shorts, you name it.
I agree with your theory. American men are so concerned about being considered "gay". First, there is nothing wrong with being gay. second, being considered gay probably is something worth being proud for since that probably means you are dressed well, not in your usually XXL shirts and baggy pants that shows no style or fashion sense whatsoever.

Last edited by botticelli; 08-19-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's just that the fashions are different in North America! You can analyze why they are, but that's really what it comes down to - fashion. People wear long shorts because that's what's cool and no one wants to be the dork wearing the swim suit type that went out of fashion in NA thirty years ago. Same reason guys stopped wearing parachute pants. I could see it change back if someone or something started a trend that made smaller suits cool again. Skinny jeans came in, so I could see it happening some day.
that may be an easy explanation, but far from the truth.

If it is a fashion, one would wear those long trunks because it is fashionable, not because it is more socially acceptable, or because of the concern if they were to wear speedos they would be laughed at, right?

I can hardly believe it is "fashion". What's fashionable about wearing heavy and cumbersome trunks in the water? How many people actually believe it is cool?

When you choose to bear those trunks, is it because you think it is cool or fashionable, or simply because it is what all men wear and wearing anything shorter will be considered "weird"?

Fashion probably has nothing to do with it. It is like Muslim woman wear Burqa not because it is fashionable, but because that's what they are "supposed" to wear.

Wearing flip-flops is fashionable because people choose to wear them because they think it is a-la-mode, not because that's the social norm. That's why plenty people do not wear them simply because they don't like it.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
I agree with your theory. American men are so concerned about being considered "gay". First, there is nothing wrong with being gay. second, being considered gay probably is something worth be proud for since that probably means you are dressed well, not in your usually XXL shorts and baggy pants that shows no style or fashion sense whatsoever.
I agree.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
What are they afraid of? On the other hand, women can wear next to nothing but it seems totally fine. Why are men so conservative? Is it because most men are fat and therefore this tradition?
Fat or thin, after the age of 25, most person's legs are just no that attractive.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Fat or thin, after the age of 25, most person's legs are just no that attractive.
Fine.
then why it is OK for women to wear bikini after the age 25?
Plus men under 25 in America wear those long swimming trunks too.

It is really NOT about being attractive. It is more about sexual stereotype: it is sexy for women to reveal their body; when men do it, that's "gay". Straight men simply don't do it, period.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
25? You kidding me? According to who, Japanese men with a fetish for schoolgirls?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Fine.
then why it is OK for women to wear bikini after the age 25?
Plus men under 25 in America wear those long swimming trunks too.

It is really NOT about being attractive. It is more about sexual stereotype: it is sexy for women to reveal their body; when men do it, that's "gay". Straight men simply don't do it, period.

There are plenty of overweight women who don't look flattering in bikinis. I don't personally have a problem with it, they're not their to be ogled at, but let's say, I don't consider them aesthetically beautiful.

I agree. Men are afraid of being 'objectified' or seen as a sex object. Deep down, I think it might lead to to more intimacy between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World