Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times

Advertisements

Which are the semi developed countries in the world, in the sense that they are almost an advanced economy but not quite as afflurent and developed in general yet, but are fast heading that direction?

The closest one is S Korea. Goldman Sachs is planning to move it officially from emerging economies to developed economy next year. The country already has a per capita GDP exceeding Portugal in nominal terms. In PPP terms, it is already higher than Italy, Spain, New Zealand and getting close to Japan, France and the UK.

Another one is Taiwan, which has the same GDP per capita (PPP) as Belgium and Denmark in 2011 and similar to Czech Republic in nominal terms.

I think PPP is more indicative of real quality of life/purchasing power. Suppose the value of euro dropped by 10% in 3 months, and the eurozone countries don't really drop by 10% in how advanced they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 AM

271 posts, read 532,141 times
I don't know... I consider those two places developed. I've never been, but I imagine they don't have any of the widescale social problems that Brazil, India, or Russia has.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Huh, I'm pretty sure South Korea and Taiwan are both considered developed, and have been for quite a few years now (At least S.Korea).

I always thought they need a 'middle category', which i refer to as 'second world' (I know that's not the actual definition) that would include countries in Latin America, South Africa, North Africa, Russia, Greece, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China.etc.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Which are the semi developed countries in the world, in the sense that they are almost an advanced economy but not quite as afflurent and developed in general yet, but are fast heading that direction?

The closest one is S Korea. Goldman Sachs is planning to move it officially from emerging economies to developed economy next year. The country already has a per capita GDP exceeding Portugal in nominal terms. In PPP terms, it is already higher than Italy, Spain, New Zealand and getting close to Japan, France and the UK.

Another one is Taiwan, which has the same GDP per capita (PPP) as Belgium and Denmark in 2011 and similar to Czech Republic in nominal terms.

I think PPP is more indicative of real quality of life/purchasing power. Suppose the value of euro dropped by 10% in 3 months, and the eurozone countries don't really drop by 10% in how advanced they are.
"Semi"-developed implies that they are only halfway there, whereas South Korea and Taiwan are probably 90% of the way there.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Mexico, Brazil, China, Russia, Romania, Thailand, Iran, Argentina, South Africa

Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Huh, I'm pretty sure South Korea and Taiwan are both considered developed, and have been for quite a few years now (At least S.Korea).

I always thought they need a 'middle category', which i refer to as 'second world' (I know that's not the actual definition) that would include countries in Latin America, South Africa, North Africa, Russia, Greece, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China.etc.
I don't think it's fair to put Greece in the "second world" - at least not yet. Despite the current desperate economic situation in that country, Greece has been considered a developed/"first world" country for many decades and remains so for now.

According to the IMF, Greece's GDP per capita (adjusted for PPP) was still $26,294 in 2011 (and that's following four years of constant recession).

In contrast, Russia's was only $16,736 - and Brazil's just $11,769. Both are firmly still "second world".

As for countries like Sri Lanka ($5,674) and Vietnam ($3,359), I'd hesitate to even include them in the second world, at least for the time being. Both countries are still largely very poor.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,667 times
My source
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, both Taiwan and South Korea were wealthier than the EU average by 2011. South Korea is nearly richer than Japan. The definately qualifies both as firmly in the first world.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Human Development Index might be a better indicator than GDP here...

Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,323 times
Many countries in Latin America belong to this category, if you are referring to in very general terms, Middle-Income "second world" status.

Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia (maybe), Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Mexico, Brazil, China, Russia, Romania, Thailand, Iran, Argentina, South Africa
Definitely not China. Sure many parts of the major coastal cities may appear pretty modern, but mixed in throughout those cities are lots of conditions that remind you that you are still in a developing country. And outside of the big cities, you are definitely, solidly in developing/poor conditions. They still have a long ways to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World