Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times

Advertisements

San Francisco
Portland
Seattle
New York
Jersey City (one of the highest concetrations of artsy people in america)
Karachi Pakistan
Pune, India
Kunming, China
Novosibirsk, Russia
Aswan, Egypt
Bangui, C.A.R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
what a stupid post...anywhere in the world- the OP says-..as if its that easy to just move to different cities or countries, like that (rolling eyes)

Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 AM

58 posts, read 209,105 times
Moving to another country depends on your accomplishments in your home country, of course. Get a good, legit education, get enough experience in your career field so someone from abroad would want to hire you, save enough money so you won't be reliant on the new country's government, and learn the language of that new country. If you're not determined enough to go through all these steps in addition to persevering through a lot of red tape, no, it ain't gon be easy.

Last edited by peudedieu; 11-10-2012 at 02:21 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM

In all the places I've lived with a large 'minority' presence, people tend to most often hang out with people of their own ethnic group. Like all the ethnic neighborhoods of larger cities. Why? Because they feel more comfortable around people who understand their cultural background. It's not just me, it's most people. Once an immigrant has moved to a new country and has had time to adapt, and really integrate into the new culture, establishing relationships beyond the ethnic enclave they've found in their own city, culture doesn't make much of a difference anymore. Usually when I see Asians here in Vancouver, they're hanging out with other Asians. Does that make them bad people? No. Does that make me less likely to try to establish a relationship with them, if the circle of friends they've chosen are basically all of their own ethnic background, speak a language I don't know, eat foods I'm unfamiliar with, and so on? Yep. It would be great if the global community could come together, learn a common language, settle major differences, adopt the same religion/moral code (or better yet, one that simply comes from the heart rather than a book), but it looks like we've got a long way to go.

Last edited by peudedieu; 11-10-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peudedieu View Post
In all the places I've lived with a large 'minority' presence, people tend to most often hang out with people of their own ethnic group. Like all the ethnic neighborhoods of larger cities. Why? Because they feel more comfortable around people who understand their cultural background.
But if you were to move to a different country, YOU would be the foreigner, and the "minority". So...who would hang out with you, and why would they bother? How would abandoning your home solve anything?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I think you'd be best to stay where you are, you live in a nice city. Make the most of it. Take some road trips if ya wanta see some new artsy stuff. Minneapolis can get hot in the summer and cold in the winter, they have had blizzards and tornadoes. Its a nice city but wouldnt fit your weather preferences at all. Cape Town, South Africa is a nice city. It is very beautiful with the ocean and Table Mountain. But doubt it would suit you either.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Ruth4Truth: That's exactly why that if I did move to another country, I'd prefer moving to one with a strong western/European presence; I wouldn't want to move to India, Africa, South Asia, et cetera. I like European foods, I like European art, have all-European ancestry, speak French and English; it just makes sense. It's more familiar to me, and familiarity is comforting, so I'd want to live somewhere with a strong Anglo presence. You really think that's bad? I get the feeling that just because I'm white that sounds bad, given the domineering ways of white people throughout history (Roman and British imperialism and Anglo-Americans purchasing slaves...) If an Asian of Hispanic person said they'd like to live somewhere with a strong Asian or Hispanic presence/community; I'm sure that sounds perfectly acceptable but if I say I want to live somewhere with a significant white community/presence people automatically perceive it as racism or something? Interesting. But you must realize there's a difference between thinking your race is superior, or being xenophobic, and simply feeling more at home around people who share a more similar culture to yours.

Todd00: yeah, agreed. Cape Town does look gorgeous. Similar to Oahu, eh? http://www.aceoftrumps.com/wp-conten...11/07/Cape.jpg

Last edited by peudedieu; 11-10-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You won't find a place that has a more significant Anglo presence than in the US. England has minority communities just like the US. This is where your quest doesn't make sense. And I've been told by Brits who have lived in France for years that France is, below the surface, fairly xenophobic, and doesn't warm up to English speakers. Switzerland might work. Geneva is full of various expats. It's extremely expensive, but not if you're living on a local salary. Good weather, highly educated population. Also, Novosibirsk does fit pretty much all your criteria. I thought it was a gag suggestion, but when I think about it, it comes closest to fitting all your criteria. You may have to prioritize and compromise on some of your criteria if you don't want to end up in Novosibirsk. lol!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peudedieu View Post
Moving to another country depends on your accomplishments in your home country, of course. Get a good, legit education, get enough experience in your career field so someone from abroad would want to hire you, save enough money so you won't be reliant on the new country's government, and learn the language of that new country. If you're not determined enough to go through all these steps in addition to persevering through a lot of red tape, no, it ain't gon be easy.
Not really. Accomplishments and legit education matter not. If you're looking into the EU, they have VERY strict immigration rules. They won't even look to you if an "in demand" and HIGHLY specialized skill/profession can be filled by a EU citizen. Europe is already dealing with very high unemployment and trust me, they are required to look to their own first. If you're a multi -millionaire, and you are able to prove that you won't be dependent on the government in any way,shape, or form, then perhaps. Red tape is putting it very mildly. Also, nobody cares if you speak the language-- not a deciding factor.

Not trying to sound too negative...but I've lived in Europe with my husband of 16 yrs and 4 children that are all EU citizens- I'm still not even able to claim citizenship!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 AM

Hmm, alright thanks Clongirl. I guess I'll have to make do with Cascadia. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World