Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 AM

10 posts, read 18,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peudedieu View Post
Here's me list of important criteria. This city can be anywhere in the world. If you can help narrow my search with your firsthand experience of cities, it would be appreciated.

• Population: at least 500k
  • At least somewhat thriving gallery/fine art scene; at least one top notch museum nearby
  • Generally highly educated population
  • Around 60-80% Caucasian
  • Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (rain and some snow is okay though)
  • Low prevalence of casual sex, strip clubs, sugar daddies etc.
  • Low prevalence of very religious people
  • Not notoriously expensive
  • A good amount of interest in sustainable living
  • Mostly liberal viewpoints (support taxes, welfare, green infrastructure)
  • Good public transportation
It seems the only place in the world that closely fits this description would be the Bay Area. Am I right? Or can you suggest any places I'm missing?

Further notes:

-Portland and Seattle fit my description in a lot of respects...BUT according to this survey, they both have the highest prevalence of casual sex: Which U.S. Cities Have The Most Casual Sex?
-Vancouver fits my description in many ways, but the art scene is lacking, too expensive, and becoming increasingly Asian (50%).
-I could never live in the southern states of the US; too many poorly educated people. I don't think it's a good idea to live on the US East Coast either, due to hurricanes (apparently).

If it weren't for
>Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (rain and some snow is okay though)

I'd say Twin Cities, but you'd probably freeze to death other than that it fits most of your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Here's my list of important criteria. This city can be anywhere in the world. If you can help narrow my search with your firsthand experience of cities, it would be appreciated.

Population: at least 500k

At least somewhat thriving gallery/fine art scene; at least one top notch museum nearby.

Generally highly educated population.

Around 60-80% Caucasian

Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (rain and some snow is okay though).

Low prevalence of casual sex, strip clubs, sugar daddies etc.

Low prevalence of very religious people.

Not notoriously expensive.

A good amount of interest in sustainable living.

Mostly liberal viewpoints (support taxes, welfare, green infrastructure)

Good public transportation
These cities have an excellent correlation to your criteria/standards with being Progressive/Liberal, Focus on smart sustainable living, Highly educated, Relatively affordable cost of living/not expensive, etc.:

Lyon
Seattle
Portland
Berlin

These cities go well with most of your criteria and are good enough to consider:

Copenhagen
Stockholm
Brussels
Geneva
Zurich
Nice
Lille
Grenoble
Paris
Vienna
Melbourne

You said recently in another topic/forum you decided on moving to France. There is plenty of pleasant, inviting places to choose from in France such as Lyon, Nice, Grenoble, Paris, Lille and other places too.

Lyon overall seems to be the all time best possibility and option for plenty of reasons, so I hope you are considering Lyon.

Last edited by ; 11-15-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 AM

58 posts, read 209,299 times
Thanks! Lots of good suggestions.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Paris
Which is probably in the top 3 most expensive cities in the world.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM

58 posts, read 209,299 times
Paris is 6th most expensive according to this 2012 list Top 10 Most Expensive Cities In The World 2012 | Elite Daily
Top 10 most expensive cities:
1) Zurich
2) Tokyo
3) Geneva
4) Osaka
5) Oslo
6) Paris
7) Sydney
8) Melbourne
9) Singapore
10) Frankfurt

Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 PM

32 posts, read 162,569 times
Quote:
In all the places I've lived with a large 'minority' presence, people tend to most often hang out with people of their own ethnic group. Like all the ethnic neighborhoods of larger cities. Why? Because they feel more comfortable around people who understand their cultural background. It's not just me, it's most people. Once an immigrant has moved to a new country and has had time to adapt, and really integrate into the new culture, establishing relationships beyond the ethnic enclave they've found in their own city, culture doesn't make much of a difference anymore. Usually when I see Asians here in Vancouver, they're hanging out with other Asians. Does that make them bad people? No. Does that make me less likely to try to establish a relationship with them, if the circle of friends they've chosen are basically all of their own ethnic background, speak a language I don't know, eat foods I'm unfamiliar with, and so on? Yep. It would be great if the global community could come together, learn a common language, settle major differences, adopt the same religion/moral code (or better yet, one that simply comes from the heart rather than a book), but it looks like we've got a long way to go.
I second this.

Even as an Asian myself, i just don't get why most people including Asians are so caught in this preconceived idea that they can only click with people of their own ethnic groups.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM

28 posts, read 73,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Not gonna lie, but OP - you sound very narrow minded and not very progressive at all.
THIS.

I would help the OP since I lived in places that fit some of his criteria, but since I'm a black gay guy, I doubt he would want to be anywhere near me or build any type of rapport with me if he saw me in public.

Living in Bloomberg-era Brooklyn for many years I ran into lots of transplanted white folks (and nonwhite folks[!], trust me, I've lived with one) who were just like this dude. Buddy Holly glasses, beards, faux-vintage clothes and all. Oh well.

Last edited by stcml; 03-04-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Here's me list of important criteria. This city can be anywhere in the world. If you can help narrow my search with your firsthand experience of cities, it would be appreciated.

• Population: at least 500k
  • At least somewhat thriving gallery/fine art scene; at least one top notch museum nearby
  • Generally highly educated population
  • Around 60-80% Caucasian
  • Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (rain and some snow is okay though)
  • Low prevalence of casual sex, strip clubs, sugar daddies etc.
  • Low prevalence of very religious people
  • Not notoriously expensive
  • A good amount of interest in sustainable living
  • Mostly liberal viewpoints (support taxes, welfare, green infrastructure)
  • Good public transportation
It seems the only place in the world that closely fits this description would be the Bay Area. Am I right? Or can you suggest any places I'm missing?

Further notes:

-Portland and Seattle fit my description in a lot of respects...BUT according to this survey, they both have the highest prevalence of casual sex: Which U.S. Cities Have The Most Casual Sex?
-Vancouver fits my description in many ways, but the art scene is lacking, too expensive, and becoming increasingly Asian (50%).
-I could never live in the southern states of the US; too many poorly educated people. I don't think it's a good idea to live on the US East Coast either, due to hurricanes (apparently).
How do you expect to fit in with a "Generally highly educated population" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World