Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Russia is excluded from Europe I have already told you that. There are not free borders.
Uh, I know it's popular over there in school and the media to make it seem that Europe and the European Union are synonymous, but it's not the truth. The EU is a political institution, whereas Europe is a geographical area. Western Russia is in Europe, hence why Russia is divided into 4 parts: European Russia, the Caucuses, Siberia, and the Russian Far East.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
#1 in what?
In the galaxy nei, ok??!!! Not the world, the whole Milky Way!!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Great pictures, Nei In the Hudson Valley picture, are those railroad tracks below? What an amazing trip that must be!
Yep, those are the train tracks I took to get there:

It has a special stop for hikers on weekends (only two trains in the morning from NYC, and two returning in the afternoon). To get back we walked a few more miles south to a small town, had dinner and then caught a train back to NYC from there.

a couple more in the same region:

100 miles south:

Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Buffalo has some horrible decay. Finger Lakes:

hudson valley:

Only 1hr20min from NYC by train.

Philadelphia definitely has some issues, but I've always enjoyed my visit. The decent parts are attractive and lively and I found plenty to do.
Great pictures. I do think NYC directs people away from the beautiful natural bounty that New York state offers. I do wish a lot more of Long Island, and especially its shoreline, was set aside for nature.

Philadelphia really is one of my favorite cities. It's getting better, but I just wish it never deteriorated in the first place--the same with pretty much every major American city before highways, white flight, urban renewals, big box stores, and parking lots took a lot of shine out of American cities. It's strange looking at how bustling and built out US cities looked in old photographs from before the 1950s. Much of what people love about European cities in terms of their human-sized scale and vibrancy is in those old photos which makes sense since the vast majority of buildings constructed in European cities were built post 18th century. The destruction wrought on American cities in the mid 20th century is horrendous.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM

472 posts, read 570,737 times
One reason I would choose the EU is the great variety of cultures and languages. I don't know any official numbers, but it seems that most Europeans speak more than one language, which is something I value because it gives them broader perspective. Also, different countries nearby, with different laws, give more of a spectrum of ways humans can live. When people are exposed to more variety, it gives them (in my opinion) an advantage in critical thinking, acceptance and understanding of people in general, and I think this leads to more happiness. There's also more variety in cuisine, which is another thing I value a lot. Of course there are clashes, too, but all in all I think it is an advantage.

Last edited by 97701; 05-08-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why oh why cant you people accept others opinions? Any ideas?
Not when they are presented as facts..surely you can understand that. But if this was about opinions and not posters stating supposed facts, it would have remained civil, and we wouldn't have the 1000 post thread in the Europe Forum and this 300+ post thread in the world forum...no this is just about trolling/flaming from one user who seems hell bent for some reason to put down an entire region.

Last edited by darrensmooth; 05-08-2013 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
N.Y. STATE

Buffalo

Farms

NYC (beats ALL EU cities combined incl. London)

Coast

Niagara Falls

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%282007%29.jpg

Mountains

First......I can't actually beleive for a second you think NY State is more beautiful than Scotland. So much so, to say it's a joke! LMAO! Hard to take you seriously at ALL when you say stuff like that.

Anyway, these pictures you keep picking really aren't that spectacular, if you are trying to show off the North American landscape to Europeans. And don't be so silly as to beleive Europe doesn't have all the same scenery we have over here.

Also, if you're going to showcase North America, you should really show more Canada.

Here come a bit of a string of videos...sorry folks.

Worth watching though.

You could even just do Newfoundland, and leave it at that. But I won't lol

Ancient Land, 60 sec HD TV Ad, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism - YouTube

Gros Morne, TV Ad, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism (HQ) - YouTube

Half Hour, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism (60 sec HD TV ad) - YouTube

Secret Place, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism - YouTube

Don't forget Alberta

(remember to breathe) Alberta - Travel Alberta - YouTube

Or Nova Scotia

Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia - YouTube

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 05-09-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Fact:
USA is # 1
Uh huh.

America ranks 13th in starting a business, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.
The U.S. ranks 47th in press freedom, according to Reporters Without Borders. So much for freedom of the press.
The U.S. ranks 20th in international trade, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.
The U.S., which ranks 15th in dealing with debt insolvency according to the Doing Business rankings.
The U.S. is ranked 10th in economic freedom, according to The Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal.
The U.S. is 25th among 43 developing countries for the best place to be a mother, according to Save The Children.
The U.S. is only the 11th happiest country in the world, according Columbia University's Earth Institute.
There are 21 countries better than America in freedom from corruption, according to Heritage.org.
The U.S. was ranked 24th in perceived honesty, according to Transparency.org.
America is ranked 39th in income inequality according to the CIA World Factbook.
Need a Hepatitis B vaccination? The U.S. is ranked 89th in percentage of children who have been vaccinated according to the World Health Organization.
The U.S. is only 47th in infant survival? That's true, according to the CIA World Factbook.
Want to live a long life? Don't live in the U.S., which is 50th in life expectancy according to the CIA World Factbook.
How well is our economy growing? The U.S. GDP growth rate is ranked 169th out of 216 countries, according to the CIA World Factbook.
Our GDP per capita is only 12th in the world, behind Qatar and Liechtenstein, says the CIA World Factbook.
Our unemployment percentage is worse than 102 of the 200 countries listed by the CIA World Factbook.
The U.S. is an embarrassing 142nd out of 150 countries in infrastructure investment, according to the CIA World Factbook.
America's budget deficit is ranked 192nd in debt relative to GDP, according to the CIA World Factbook.
The growth rate of our industrial production is ranked 79th, according to the CIA World Factbook.
The U.S. is only 11th in oil exports, according to the CIA World Factbook.
Our oil reserves is only the 13th most in the world, according to the CIA World Factbook.
The U.S. is ranked 192nd, dead last, in the net trade of goods and services, according to the CIA World Factbook.
Our reserve of foreign exchange and gold is ranked 19th, according to the CIA World Factbook, right behind Indonesia.
The U.S. is ranked the 28th best soccer team by FIFA.
In terms of the percentage of women holding public office, the U.S. ranks 79th out of 147 countries, says the IPU.

It is, however, number 1 in percentage of citizens in prison. Woohoo!!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
First......I can't actually beleive for a second you think NY State is more beautiful than Scotland. So much so, to say it's a joke! LMAO! Hard to take you seriously at ALL when you say stuff like that.

Anyway, these pictures you keep picking really aren't that spectacular, if you are trying to show off the North American landscape to Europeans. And don't be so silly as to beleive Europe doesn't have all the same scenery we have over here.

Also, if you're going to showcase North America, you should really show more Canada.

Here come a bit of a string of videos...sorry folks.

Worth watching though.

You could even just do Newfoundland, and leave it at that. But I won't lol

[/url]
Those could compete with Scotland, although I didn't see any spectacular beaches like the Hebrides has.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Miami is 100 years old and could easily beat most European cities.

Europe is for European people, even light skinned multiracial new worlders look nothing like Europeans and they are treated as outsiders there.

The U.S. is the best country of the world. There are many countries that have a high quality of life because of the protection of the U.S. such as Canada, Australia, and other U.S Allies. Our army takes care of their enemies, and that burden is carried by U.S. citizens, our tax dollars. In return, we don't have universal healthcare, but I personally prefer to be secure when it comes to having the best army in the world.
Get real.

If deploying its military around the world were not in the interest of the U.S., then it would not be doing it. The logic hasn't changed much since the end of WW II: Keep the trouble as far away from the continental U.S. as possible. And with the exception of a miniscule number of foreign terrorist attacks, it seems to still be working as a strategy.

The U.S. doesn't give a fart in a jug for Canada, Australia or anyplace else in the world except as their prosperity and security impacts that of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World