Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,369,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
But a lot of our homes have open floor plans so the kitchen / dinning room and living room are sometimes all one big room
That's the way ours is laid out.

Many of us Americans like our elbow room. Maybe that's why my ancestor left Heidelberg & rode the boat to America in 1754. Or it could be he didn't get along with the mean ol' Burgermeister Meisterberger.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,017,180 times
I have lived in many cities and many types of cities. I will compare Orlando and San Francisco because its relevant to the discussion. The house I own in Orlando is roughly the same value as the condo I own in San Francisco.

Orlando (metro population 2.1 million)
4.5 bedrooms
3.5 bathrooms
3,400 square feet
Huge Yard (0.5-1.0 acres)
8 Foot Deep Pool
6 Person Outdoor Jacuzzi
Lakefront

San Francisco (metro population 7.1 million)
1 bedroom
1 bathroom
800 square feet
Community Fitness Center

---

I consider myself a social person. My life in Orlando was socially active and my life in San Francisco has been socially active. The size of your house has little to do with how social you are. A social person living in a small 1 bedroom condo isn't going to stop being social living in a 4.5 bedroom house. For me there was a different when it comes to get togethers. In San Francisco, we usually meet somewhere in the city, while in Orlando, we usually meet at one of our homes for bbq and swimming in the pool.

It's a matter of preference. Some people would rather be cramped in a tiny apartment and be able to walk out there door and have many bars, restaurants, shops to choose from. Other people would rather have a nice comfortable house and drive whenever they want to go out to bars, restaurants or shops. The second is usually more common when you start a family, at least in the USA.

After living in both environments, my personal preference is my Orlando lifestyle. I live in San Francisco now, I love it, I'm glad I chose to move here, but after a few years, I miss having a nice big open home. It makes entertaining a lot easier and fun (for me). I never feel claustrophobic. If I see something big I like such as a billiards table, I could get it. In San Francisco, I barely have anything, but it feels so cramped.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM

89 posts, read 169,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You Americans blame us Northern Europeans to be unsocial, but you seem to be the unsocial ones as you have to have 56 rooms just to tolerate your family. My parents are comfortably upper middle class and they dine in the kitchen, and the dining room for holidays and parties is also the living room. My dad's office is a tiny former wardrobe hardly more than 20 sq ft.

Americans are also more dull in personality and prone to simply accepting authority instead of questioning it and fighting for a cause.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
But a lot of our homes have open floor plans so the kitchen / dinning room and living room are sometimes all one big room
You don't get those much out here; not that popular

Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 PM

108 posts, read 154,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Which is why there is so much going on outside the home. Europeans don't hide inside their living room planted on the couch in front of the TV all day.
Why is it that because we live in big homes here in the US you get offended by saying we hide in our houses all day watching TV sorry that isn't true. Here in the USA things are actually affordable so we can do things outside our house.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,445,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Americans are also more dull in personality and prone to simply accepting authority instead of questioning it and fighting for a cause.

I see what you did there.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:40 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,867,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Yeah I know, like the American Revolution, the Civil War and the civil rights movement.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You don't get those much out here; not that popular
Well, people would have to be pretty dense to knock the interior walls, crown molding, and woodwork, out of 100+ year old homes, just to open it up, put up crappy drywall, and some pot lights. lol

Old 03-09-2014, 04:57 PM

278 posts, read 277,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
Why is it that because we live in big homes here in the US you get offended by saying we hide in our houses all day watching TV sorry that isn't true. Here in the USA things are actually affordable so we can do things outside our house.
Favorite American past times

- Driving car
- Sitting in traffic
- Experiencing the fast food drive thru
- Eating in car
- Texting while driving
- Watching TV

Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Favorite American past times

- Driving car on an open road for hours on end
- Sitting in traffic on your way to the countryside and them wide open roads
- Experiencing the fast food drive thru 1000 miles from your home, yet still in the same country
- Eating in car - pure Americana. None else does this.
- Texting while driving - nor this
- Watching TV - nor this

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World