Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM

291 posts, read 476,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
But...but...Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You keep quoting that index from that unknown website as if it were a God's book.

I cited a wide array of statistics encompassing various aspects. That website focuses mainly on economic factors. And still, if you arrange countries by safety or healthcare in a descending order of quality, the US is not even in the top 25. 16th in pollution. Among the highest in Traffic Commute time. The US only ranks well on economic issues. Money isn't everything.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
You keep quoting that index from that unknown website as if it were a God's book.

I cited a wide array of statistics encompassing various aspects. That website focuses mainly on economic factors. And still, if you arrange countries by safety or healthcare in a descending order of quality, the US is not even in the top 25. 16th in pollution. Among the highest in Traffic Commute time. The US only ranks well on economic issues. Money isn't everything.
Food price in the U.S is relatively lower, but the quality of food is very poor. That's why Japan and Korea hate cheap American beef.

US ranks very well on economic issues, but I doubt if they have considered the income inequality factor.
Al Gore: Worsening Income Inequality

However, the ruling elites in the U.S are probably much more powerful and richer than other developed countries, they definitely have the best quality of life on earth.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
That is statistically false. The US has greater:

-Poverty rate
-Income inequality
-Healthcare costs
-Homicide rate
-Teen pregnancy rate
-Obesity
-Infant mortality rate

and lower:

-Income mobility
-Life expectancy
-Belief in evolution

Than most other developed countries. These are the facts.

That does not mean that you are a poor fat religiose serial murderer who knocks up teenagers and cannot afford healthcare.

But, statistically speaking, the average American is worse off than the average citizen of most other developed countries.

That does not mean that there aren't people who are perfectly fine with the US.
But just because your employer pays for your healthcare doesn't mean it's not the most expensive in the world, and that a lot of people in your country cannot afford a decent plan.
Just because you live in a safe neighborhood does not mean that the average person in your country does.

There are people who live perfectly safe and comfortable lives in Greece. That doesn't mean that Greece does not have a problem.

I don't know why you take it so personally. If you live in a good area, have a good job, and lead a comfortable life, good for you. But that's just your experience as an individual. You are an individual before you are an American.
You only focus on the negative for some reason, i could make a list of negative things about any developed nation to make it look bad.
But i don't, i guess you guys sadly just have a negative outlook on life.
pretty sad.
Would you care to tell me who you are more credible than OECD?
United States

• In the United States, the average household net-adjusted disposable income is 38 001 USD a year, more than the OECD average of 23 047 USD a year.
  • 67% of people aged 15 to 64 in the United States have a paid job, slightly above the OECD employment average of 66%
  • In the United States, 89% of adults aged 25-64 have earned the equivalent of a high-school degree, higher than the OECD average of 74%.
  • The level of atmospheric PM10 – tiny air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs – is 18 micrograms per cubic meter, lower than the OECD average of 21 micrograms per cubic meter.
  • The United States also does well in terms of water quality, as 87% of people say they are satisfied with the quality of their water, slightly higher than the OECD average of 84%.
  • In general, Americans are more satisfied with their lives than the OECD average, with 83% of people saying they have more positive experiences in an average day (feelings of rest, pride in accomplishment, enjoyment, etc) than negative ones (pain, worry, sadness, boredom, etc). This figure is higher than the OECD average of 80%.
  • In the United States, people earn 54 450 US dollars per year on average, much more than the OECD average of 34 466 USD and the highest rate across the OECD
Sorry i know some of you would love it if the United States was a third world country and we all lived in poverty but we are far from that.

It is quite obvious you are not from here and you don't know much about the United States.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Food price in the U.S is relatively lower, but the quality of food is very poor. That's why Japan and Korea hate cheap American beef.
That's true. I did not mention it as I'm sticking strictly to statistics, but I think that in the US, you have to buy organic food to get the equivalent of "normal" food in, say, Europe.
Quote:
US ranks very well on economic issues, but I doubt if they have considered the income inequality factor.
Al Gore: Worsening Income Inequality

However, the ruling elites in the U.S are probably much more powerful and richer than other developed countries, they definitely have the best quality of life on earth.
Rich people are fine anywhere they are. In fact, they might be better off in Switzerland or Luxembourg or even a less developed country, where they'd pay less taxes and still be able to live in rich neighborhoods and get good food and everything they want.

The problem is the quality of life of the 98-99% who can't afford to use $100 bills as toilet paper.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Plus GDP per capita = $ 50,700
greater than countries Canada, Australia, Germany and Sweden

Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
[*] In the United States, the average household net-adjusted disposable income is 38 001 USD a year, more than the OECD average of 23 047 USD a year.
Does that take into account income inequality?
Quote:
average net adjusted disposable income of the top 20% of the population is an estimated 82 666 USD a year, whereas the bottom 20% live on an estimated 10 434 USD a year .
Plus, remember high healthcare costs and out of pocket payments for services that are not covered by taxes.
Quote:
[*]67% of people aged 15 to 64 in the United States have a paid job, slightly above the OECD employment average of 66%
The US ranks 17th/36 in that regard.
Also, 28th/36 in Job Security.
Plus:

-Young Americans, aged 15-24, face difficulties however, with an unemployment rate of 17.3%, slightly higher than the OECD average of 16.2%.

- In the United States, around 11% of total employees have a contract of 6 months or less, slightly more than the average of 10% for 30 OECD countries.
Quote:
[*]In the United States, 89% of adults aged 25-64 have earned the equivalent of a high-school degree, higher than the OECD average of 74%.
23rd/36 in Years in education
20th/37 in Student Skills
Quote:
[*]The level of atmospheric PM10 – tiny air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs – is 18 micrograms per cubic meter, lower than the OECD average of 21 micrograms per cubic meter.[*]The United States also does well in terms of water quality, as 87% of people say they are satisfied with the quality of their water, slightly higher than the OECD average of 84%.
Air pollution - 19th/36
Water quality 15th/36
Quote:
[*]In general, Americans are more satisfied with their lives than the OECD average, with 83% of people saying they have more positive experiences in an average day (feelings of rest, pride in accomplishment, enjoyment, etc) than negative ones (pain, worry, sadness, boredom, etc). This figure is higher than the OECD average of 80%.
Subjective.
What's not subjective is:

Time devoted to leisure and personal care: 27th/36
Employees working very long hours 25th/36

Quote:
It is quite obvious you are not from here and you don't know much about the United States.
It's quite obvious you're in denial as to the true state of your country.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Plus GDP per capita = $ 50,700
greater than countries Canada, Australia, Germany and Sweden
You do realize that the US doesn't rank particularly well in that unemployment chart, right?
Also, GDP per capita is irrelevant since

Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Does that take into account income inequality?

Plus, remember high healthcare costs and out of pocket payments for services that are not covered by taxes.

The US ranks 17th/36 in that regard.
Also, 28th/36 in Job Security.

Plus:

-Young Americans, aged 15-24, face difficulties however, with an unemployment rate of 17.3%, slightly higher than the OECD average of 16.2%.

- In the United States, around 11% of total employees have a contract of 6 months or less, slightly more than the average of 10% for 30 OECD countries.

23rd/36 in Years in education
20th/37 in Student Skills

Air pollution - 19th/36
Water quality 15th/36

Subjective.
What's not subjective is:

Time devoted to leisure and personal care: 27th/36
Employees working very long hours 25th/36

It's quite obvious you're in denial as to the true state of your country.
So yes we are about average when it comes to OECD member countries which is what we are discussing.
(gotta keep up if you want to debate buddy)

You still have to answer why you are more credible than OECD.
(quit falling behind bro)

and i do know the state of my country because i live here.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You do realize that the US doesn't rank particularly well in that unemployment chart, right?
Also, GDP per capita is irrelevant since

That bottom chart states 2.1 percent of GDP
OMG 2 percent!
everyone we are living in a hellhole

Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM

I just noticed the title of the thread has nothing to do with what we are discussing?
lol oops

World forum i guess, everyone loves talking about the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World