U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
4,414 posts, read 3,205,189 times
Reputation: 6335

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I can think of a few. French believe they are the best, as do Argentines, and Brazilians and believe their country is blessed by God. Also Canada because they are better than the U.s. inso e of the U.S weak spots definitely have thementality that Canada is the better and ideal. Many large and very patriotic countries think they are thebest, they just don't say it as arrogantly as Americans do.
Argentines? Like, a sizable contingent, or just some randoms that would seemingly exist in any country? What about China's notorious ethnocentrism...in sum, I think I agree with your last sentence
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 AM
 
Location: EU
996 posts, read 1,745,914 times
Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
i have to agree with you on this one, many americans think their country is the greatest on earth, but other countries do too like Germany,
Where on this forum did any German say that Germany was the greatest country in the world???

Germans are well aware that there is no greatest country in the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 02:46 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
4,414 posts, read 3,205,189 times
Reputation: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Where on this forum did any German say that Germany was the greatest country in the world???

Germans are well aware that there is no greatest country in the world.
To play devil's advocate...you might know that. I might know that, as an American. But I can easily concede that there are plenty of Americans who say otherwise, ingenuously or not. Is it not probable that there's a far-right faction of German nationalists somewhere who say that Germany is the best, end of story?

Edit to say that I understand that your post was precipitated by a post that's probably inspired by WWII (although this same guy did post elsewhere about his experience in Germany talking to a woman who was mad that he didn't know about some perhaps-arcane aspect of the German political system), but I had to call you (somewhat) on the last sentence of your response
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM
 
292 posts, read 452,466 times
Reputation: 270
The irony in Americans' belief that they are the greatest country in the world resides in the fact that the US often does not rank very favorably compared to other developed nations in rankings regarding various measures of the standard of living, inequality, education, work-life balance, safety, health, poverty, and belief in science.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,900,701 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Where on this forum did any German say that Germany was the greatest country in the world???

Germans are well aware that there is no greatest country in the world.
I wasn't referring to this website with nothing but bias ignorant people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,900,701 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
The irony in Americans' belief that they are the greatest country in the world resides in the fact that the US often does not rank very favorably compared to other developed nations in rankings regarding various measures of the standard of living, inequality, education, work-life balance, safety, health, poverty, and belief in science.
No we dont... we aren't very ignorant, in fact much of the population knows a lot about the world and have a clue that america isn't doing so hot right now. Go on yahoo comments and it will show nothing but american who hate their country.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Rude
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM
 
Location: EU
996 posts, read 1,745,914 times
Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I wasn't referring to this website with nothing but bias ignorant people.
So what or who were you referring to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,900,701 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
The irony in Americans' belief that they are the greatest country in the world resides in the fact that the US often does not rank very favorably compared to other developed nations in rankings regarding various measures of the standard of living, inequality, education, work-life balance, safety, health, poverty, and belief in science.
The usa ranks similar in poverty to developed countries (if you did some research which you didn't), for example we have a poverty rate of 16% which is the same as Japan, Ireland and even less than Sweden. If you did some more research you would know that american education has many exchange students and they come here for one reason to learn in better conditions. Now i am not saying america does not have bad education it does but not all of it is bad. The millions of schools that have great education go right on top with countries like Finland and south korea, even my korean friend would agree that our high school was just like his high school in korea. Not to mention the number 1 university in the world is in America, not to mention the other universities in america that made the top 10 list along with the UK. Safety is not a big issue as it is said in other countries that are ignorant of america culture. Listen to this i walk by myself at night downtown almost every day. Also where the hell did you get belief in science...oh yeah and health...my job gives me free healthcare tehe. Standard of living for the middle class and the rich is better than any country i have ever seen before when it comes to standard of living of the middle class and rich.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,900,701 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
So what or who were you referring to?
Who do you think i'm referring too...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 AM
 
292 posts, read 452,466 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
No we dont... we aren't very ignorant, in fact much of the population knows a lot about the world and have a clue that america isn't doing so hot right now. Go on yahoo comments and it will show nothing but american who hate their country.
There certainly are, but there are just as many people who claim they love America. Obviously one cannot generalize, and my comment was about those who do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The usa ranks similar in poverty to developed countries (if you did some research which you didn't), for example we have a poverty rate of 16% which is the same as Japan, Ireland and even less than Sweden.
Uhm, no.

Quote:
If you did some more research you would know that american education has many exchange students and they come here for one reason to learn in better conditions. Now i am not saying america does not have bad education it does but not all of it is bad. The millions of schools that have great education go right on top with countries like Finland and south korea, even my korean friend would agree that our high school was just like his high school in korea. Not to mention the number 1 university in the world is in America, not to mention the other universities in america that made the top 10 list along with the UK.
The average level of education in the US is pretty far from being the best. The US might have the best universities in the world, but what's the point when the majority of people get sub-par education?

Quote:
Safety is not a big issue as it is said in other countries that are ignorant of america culture. Listen to this i walk by myself at night downtown almost every day.
Good for you. Doesn't change the fact that, statistically speaking, the US is a far more dangerous place than most developed countries. You might live in a safe neighborhood/town/city, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.
Quote:
Also where the hell did you get belief in science...
Polls. See polls on evolution, climate change, and general trust in science
Quote:
oh yeah and health...my job gives me free healthcare tehe.
You do realize that to claim that a country is the best in the world it has to be the best in the world for the majority of people that live in it, right?
Quote:
Standard of living for the middle class and the rich is better than any country i have ever seen before when it comes to standard of living of the middle class and rich.
The middle class? Nope.
The rich? They're fine pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-27-2013 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - response to edited post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top