Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
This thread is embarrassing to Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
So true. The flag waving here is now entering delusional la la land.
Yes, I agree completely, and the majority of people would end up agreeing with us.

There is plenty of magnificent, impressive, and good countries all over the world, at least 20 to 50 countries total.

The countries all over the world, at least 50 countries total in Europe, Asia, South America, Oceania have their own successful people, fame in their own native or adopted new country, economically wealthy people, millionaires, billionaires, celebrities, music, movies, and other good characteristics in society.

There is a large percentage of people having a good life, being well in society there, and showing there is plenty of culturally wealthy, economically wealthy, and developed countries all over the world having their own unique culture not being directly related to a country being referred to in this topic.

The absolute final end of this topic.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Yes, I agree completely, and the majority of people would end up agreeing with us.

There is plenty of magnificent, impressive, and good countries all over the world, at least 20 to 50 countries total.

The countries all over the world, at least 50 countries total in Europe, Asia, South America, Oceania have their own successful people, fame in their own native or adopted new country, economically wealthy people, millionaires, billionaires, celebrities, music, movies, and other good characteristics in society.

There is a large percentage of people having a good life, being well in society there, and showing there is plenty of culturally wealthy, economically wealthy, and developed countries all over the world having their own unique culture not being directly related to a country being referred to in this topic.

The absolute final end of this topic.
I agree too, when you say America is good you have to realize there are other good countries too.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Those All of Europe vs. USA discussions usually end up being ridiculous, offensive, and going in the wrong direction. The entire continental region of Europe, including a total of 50 countries, is overly generalized too much in those topics, and some false stereotyping for an entire continent.

Some countries of Europe would be able to compete with USA very well for how much people appreciate, like, and respect those countries, quality of life, and how much they want to live in or visit those countries.

France vs. USA would be a close competition, France would rank well, and especially France/Italy/Spain vs. USA, or Austria/Switzerland/France/Italy/Spain vs. USA, so a 1 country, 3 countries, or 5 countries of Europe comparing instead of including too many countries and a total of 50 countries. I love all of these countries. However, I would probably vote for those European options.

I wonder why there wasn’t an Asia vs. USA topic, but this is another topic to not start, so hopefully nobody begins this topic.
Wow I actually agree with you.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
First of all, the United States is a very large country population-wise.

Hollywood has been the king of the entertainment world for a very long time, since the silent movie days. During the Golden Age of Hollywood (1930s and 1940s) the product was excellent. Now, not as much, but I'm sure that is true in other countries, too.

Nowadays, Hollywood movie studios produce blockbuster action movies that are popular the world over. I think that a comedy (from any country) might not translate well to other countries, because of cultural differences. But most anyone can understand an action movie. Hollywood also seems to have the outrageous amounts of money to make such films!

Notice I'm not talking about quality here. I'm talking strictly about what can make a film, television show, or music internationally popular. I'm not saying that they singers or films are necessarily better than they make in other countries. Quite frankly, there is a lot of crap out there now (especially on television!)

English, for better or worse, has become the international language. So the music of someone like Madonna is very popular around the world. Someone who sings dance-oriented music with a good beat will be more popular internationally than someone who sings country or rock or who only sings in French, for example.

The only true international English-speaking phenomenon that never really became that popular in the USA is Abba. Yes, they had some hits, but nothing like they had in Australia, for example. But for awhile they were the biggest musical act in the world. Notice that they sang in English, not Swedish. That was critical.

One non-American film that was a huge, surprise hit in the United States was "Crocodile Dundee". Of course, it was in English. "The Gods Must Be Crazy" was also a surprise hit (did my mother love that film!)

I've noticed that truly popular international phenomenons have to be especially popular in two places: the USA and Japan (apparently Japan is the second biggest market in the world and they are very loyal fans to their favorites!)

I do think that social media (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube) is playing a big part in making music more international. Notice the giant success of Gotye and Kimbra on "Someone That I Used to Know". I think YouTube really helped that song, especially because of the striking video.

Also, "Gangnam Style" by Psy is so successful mostly because of YouTube! I laugh so much at the video! It was obviously not totally serious.

And of course Adele is a phenomenon.

I think we will see a more international flavor to music in the future!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
First of all, the United States is a very large country population-wise.

Hollywood has been the king of the entertainment world for a very long time, since the silent movie days. During the Golden Age of Hollywood (1930s and 1940s) the product was excellent. Now, not as much, but I'm sure that is true in other countries, too.

Nowadays, Hollywood movie studios produce blockbuster action movies that are popular the world over. I think that a comedy (from any country) might not translate well to other countries, because of cultural differences. But most anyone can understand an action movie. Hollywood also seems to have the outrageous amounts of money to make such films!

Notice I'm not talking about quality here. I'm talking strictly about what can make a film, television show, or music internationally popular. I'm not saying that they singers or films are necessarily better than they make in other countries. Quite frankly, there is a lot of crap out there now (especially on television!)

English, for better or worse, has become the international language. So the music of someone like Madonna is very popular around the world. Someone who sings dance-oriented music with a good beat will be more popular internationally than someone who sings country or rock or who only sings in French, for example.

The only true international English-speaking phenomenon that never really became that popular in the USA is Abba. Yes, they had some hits, but nothing like they had in Australia, for example. But for awhile they were the biggest musical act in the world. Notice that they sang in English, not Swedish. That was critical.

One non-American film that was a huge, surprise hit in the United States was "Crocodile Dundee". Of course, it was in English. "The Gods Must Be Crazy" was also a surprise hit (did my mother love that film!)

I've noticed that truly popular international phenomenons have to be especially popular in two places: the USA and Japan (apparently Japan is the second biggest market in the world and they are very loyal fans to their favorites!)

I do think that social media (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube) is playing a big part in making music more international. Notice the giant success of Gotye and Kimbra on "Someone That I Used to Know". I think YouTube really helped that song, especially because of the striking video.

Also, "Gangnam Style" by Psy is so successful mostly because of YouTube! I laugh so much at the video! It was obviously not totally serious.

And of course Adele is a phenomenon.

I think we will see a more international flavor to music in the future!
We'll see, I have yet to see English speakers embrace songs in other languages in a big way, as is common in non-English speaking societies. If you're French speaking, you probably sometimes here songs in Spanish or Brazilian Portugese on the radio sometimes, which is exceedingly rare if you are an English speaker.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

I completely agree. Great points here! Don't forget about Ace Of base. Another Swedish group who's songs were in English and they charted in almost every country. DJ Bobo, a Swiss artist, his songs are in English and he's charted in almost every country as well. Both fit that English, dance style you mentioned.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Lmao you post facts and everyone gets all butthurt.
Wahhh!! stop the flag waving! Wahh wahh!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lmao you post facts and everyone gets all butthurt.
Wahhh!! stop the flag waving! Wahh wahh!
Sorry im late for the flag waving guys. I ran into traffic.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
As you get older, humility will develop naturally. It also has a way of helping you see things clearer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Sorry im late for the flag waving guys. I ran into traffic.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As you get older, humility will develop naturally. It also has a way of helping you see things clearer as well.
That makes sense, i'm only on here during the summer...once I start class I wont be on here as much.

Im amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World