Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

Quote:
Many people would also be surprised to learn that Jakie Chan also holds Australian Citizenship (His Parents Spent most of their life living in Canberra), no one would claim him to be Australalian however
Didn't know that about Jackie Chan, that's surprising indeed! Especially since his English is rather poor. To me, it doesn't really matter where someone is born - let alone where someone's parents are born - it's more important where they grew up. It's interesting that so many Australian celebrities have roots elsewhere though.
I don't know if Jackie Chan has Australian citizenship (I kind of doubt it unless there was some way to get dual citizenship without him living there) but he didn't grow up there, doesn't live there and can't rightly be said to be a native of Australia as he was born in Hong Kong in 1954 and has spent almost his entire life in Hong Kong.

As a child at the age of 5 he was enrolled in a Chinese Drama Academy in Hong Kong. His father went to Australia in 1960 to work as a chef at the American embassy in Canberra when Jackie was 6 y.o., however Jackie didn't go to Australia with his parents, he didn't join his parents in Australia until 1976 and that for only a very brief time and then he soon returned to Hong Kong again. By that time he already had several years under his belt as an actor because he started his acting career in Hong Kong at the age of 5. He started his film career in 1971 in the Hong Kong film productions industry and has continued to soar upwards and onwards with his acting career, his martial arts and his many other accomplishments.

Jackie Chan has had a particularly impressive and very diverse education, career, personal accomplishments and lifestyle. He speaks several languages, including American Sign Language.
Jackie Chan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know if Jackie Chan has Australian citizenship (I kind of doubt it unless there was some way to get dual citizenship without him living there) but he didn't grow up there, doesn't live there and can't rightly be said to be a native of Australia as he was born in Hong Kong in 1954 and has spent almost his entire life in Hong Kong.

As a child at the age of 5 he was enrolled in a Chinese Drama Academy in Hong Kong. His father went to Australia in 1960 to work as a chef at the American embassy in Canberra when Jackie was 6 y.o., however Jackie didn't go to Australia with his parents, he didn't join his parents in Australia until 1976 and that for only a very brief time and then he soon returned to Hong Kong again. By that time he already had several years under his belt as an actor because he started his acting career in Hong Kong at the age of 5. He started his film career in 1971 in the Hong Kong film productions industry and has continued to soar upwards and onwards with his acting career, his martial arts and his many other accomplishments.

Jackie Chan has had a particularly impressive and very diverse education, career, personal accomplishments and lifestyle. He speaks several languages, including American Sign Language.
Jackie Chan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this he was, but gave it up and I totally agree with the bolded part, which i stated to effect in my own post.

http://www.dragondynasty.com.au/blog/show/42

Anyway this is getting way of course, and I realize I should have never posted that in the first place

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-05-2013 at 02:01 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 03:10 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,216,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Let me help you...here are some Canadians you might know

Pamela Anderson
Excuse me but roots of Pamela Anderson are orginally from Finland

Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
You left out India which has a huge movie industry tied to music. Show me a Hollywood actor with more fans than Amitabh Bacchan or Sharuhk Khan.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Excuse me but roots of Pamela Anderson are orginally from Finland
What difference does that make?? She's still Canadian!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What difference does that make?? She's still Canadian!
Pamela Anderson is definitely more Canadian than Finnish.

That said, she's probably best described is one of those Can-American (or Canadian-American) Hollywood celebrities of which there are many.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pamela Anderson is definitely more Canadian than Finnish.

That said, she's probably best described is one of those Can-American (or Canadian-American) Hollywood celebrities of which there are many.
Born in Canada, birth registered in Canada = Canadian.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Born in Canada, birth registered in Canada = Canadian.
People change nationalities all the time and in many case "become" another nationality. Anderson has American citizenship in addition to Canadian. Legally at least that makes her both.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People change nationalities all the time and in many case "become" another nationality. Anderson has American citizenship in addition to Canadian. Legally at least that makes her both.
'Legally' perhaps, but lets be honest the reality is - she is Canadian, Arnold Schwarznegger will always be Austrian no matter how hard he tries!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
'Legally' perhaps, but lets be honest the reality is - she is Canadian, Arnold Schwarznegger will always be Austrian no matter how hard he tries!
Especially with that accent LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World