Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
yup... I'm still looking forward to our street food date
dude...there are tons of food trucks this year..I have to eat my words so to speak

Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times
I think a lot of it is sheer population size. The US has 330 million people, which is five times more than Britain, nine times more than Canada and about 13 or 14 times more than Australia. There's only about 360 million native English speakers and probably something like 270 of those million live in the US.

The vast majority of people who speak English as their first language are American and with modern technology it's only natural American music will dominate English speaking countries. In fact even as far back as the 1950s American music was popular in Britain and Canada (probably Australia too?)

Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It is hard to beat Justin Bieber.
Probably because that punk kid has a big body guard.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Ha - so now we're world class eh lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
dude...there are tons of food trucks this year..I have to eat my words so to speak

Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I tried to think of Australian celebrities but not many came to mind. Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett... who else? Canadian celebrities seem a bit more prominent (Justin Bieber, Michael Buble, Celine Dion) but I don't think there's much of a difference.
Paul Hogan, Heath Ledger, Simon Baker, Naomi Watts, Geoffrey Rush, Eric Bana, Olivia Newton-John, Judy Davis, Russel Crowe, Natalie Imbrugliaa, bands like Easy Beats, AC/DC, Savage Garden and the Wiggles.

There is not much difference with the number of Canadian celebrities and Australian ones btw.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Paul Hogan, Heath Ledger, Simon Baker, Naomi Watts, Geoffrey Rush, Eric Bana, Olivia Newton-John, Judy Davis, Russel Crowe, Natalie Imbrugliaa, bands like Easy Beats, AC/DC, Savage Garden and the Wiggles.

There is not much difference with the number of Canadian celebrities and Australian ones btw.
I've only heard of the ones in bold, and isn't Russell Crowe from New Zealand?

I forgot Kylie Minogue, Mel Gibson and Miranda Kerr. There are actually more Australian celebrities than I initially thought

Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:

I forgot Kylie Minogue, Mel Gibson and Miranda Kerr. There are actually more Australian celebrities than I initially thought
Right about Crowe.

That's the problem, a fair number of Australian celebrities were not born there.
Olivia Newton-John was born in Cambridge, England.
Mel Gibson born in NYC.
Bee Gees all born Isle of Man, UK.
Nicole Kidman born in Hawaii.
Most of AC/DC, born in UK.
Naomi Watts, born in UK (her dad was a roadie for Pink Floyd).

Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:

He Immigrated to Australia from NZ a young age, like a lot of other Australian celebrities, Including Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman (both of them were born in the USA), a good list of Australian Celebrities that were actually born in the UK is few pages back.

Some other potential ones that were missed from the British/Aussie list is Hugh Jackman, he was conceived in England but born in Australia and Hugo Weaving (Possibly best know to International Audiences as the Person who played Agent Smith in the Matrix Series) is also an immigrant from England.

Many people would also be surprised to learn that Jakie Chan also holds Australian Citizenship (His Parents Spent more than half their life living in Canberra), no one would claim him to be Australian however, he did all his Drama training, initial film work and most of his schooling in Hong Kong.

Edit:
Sorry BMI, Typing same thing at same time.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-04-2013 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
He Immigrated to Australia from NZ a young age, like a lot of other Australian celebrities, Including Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman (both of them were born in the USA), a good list of Australian Celebrities that were actually born in the UK is few pages back.
I checked his Wiki page. It says Russell Crowe was born in NZ, moved to Australia when he was 4, moved back to NZ when he was 14, moved back to Australia in the early 1980s (when he was in his late teens, early 20s). He was denied Australian citizenship in 2006 and 2013 because he had spent too much time in other countries.

Quote:
Some other potential ones that were missed from the British/Aussie list is Hugh Jackman, he was conceived in England but born in Australia and Hugo Weaving (Possibly best know to International Audiences as the Person who played Agent Smith in the Matrix Series) is also an immigrant from England. Kylie Minogue herself is the child of English immigrants, at least she was conceived in Australia however.

Many people would also be surprised to learn that Jakie Chan also holds Australian Citizenship (His Parents Spent most of their life living in Canberra), no one would claim him to be Australalian however
Didn't know that about Jackie Chan, that's surprising indeed! Especially since his English is rather poor. To me, it doesn't really matter where someone is born - let alone where someone's parents are born - it's more important where they grew up. It's interesting that so many Australian celebrities have roots elsewhere though.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
I checked his Wiki page. It says Russell Crowe was born in NZ, moved to Australia when he was 4, moved back to NZ when he was 14, moved back to Australia in the early 1980s (when he was in his late teens, early 20s). He was denied Australian citizenship in 2006 and 2013 because he had spent too much time in other countries.

Didn't know that about Jackie Chan, that's surprising indeed! Especially since his English is rather poor. To me, it doesn't really matter where someone is born - let alone where someone's parents are born - it's more important where they grew up. It's interesting that so many Australian celebrities have roots elsewhere though.
Completely agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World