Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's CBD feels bigger/busier: Sydney's or Toronto's?
Sydney 39 52.00%
Toronto 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM

468 posts, read 616,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Toronto can keep their sub-zero winters...even in winter you can bask in glorious sunshine under a clear sky in Sydney, the temperature 20 degrees, or even go to the beach (it's chilly but still doable). Snow and ice is nice, but I wouldn't want to live with it.
Now now, each to their own, constant sunshine and heat does have its drawbacks, believe me. I'd like Sydney to get a bit colder in winter actually, the sun never seems to retire. I think there is something romantic about a city in the freezing grey winter weather. Plus, the fashion is so much more admirable.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Now now, each to their own, constant sunshine and heat does have its drawbacks, believe me. I'd like Sydney to get a bit colder in winter actually, the sun never seems to retire. I think there is something romantic about a city in the freezing grey winter weather. Plus, the fashion is so much more admirable.
Well Sydney actually gets a good mix of cloud and sun imo, it's not constant sunshine. Plus summer in Sydney isn't actually very hot, barely hotter than Toronto and cooler than cities like NYC. Late winter and spring is the sunniest time of year by percentage.

Romantic maybe from afar, but not when you have to live there. I think few would be as romantic about it as you.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Grey is not a particularly romantic backdrop I'd say. But sparkling white freshly fallen snow definitely is!

But big fluffy snowflakes, especially when they fall when it's dark - those are absolutely awesome. One of nature's truly magical spectacles.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Romantic maybe from afar, but not when you have to live there. I think few would be as romantic about it as you.
People tend to get blasé about the weather they have and the advantages or charms of it. This applies to the visual beauty of snow-covered landscapes. Although November is pretty dreary, grey-brown and cool rainy around here so at this point a lot of people here are ready for snow to brighten things up.

Also, I have neighbours and friends here from tropical places and they all say that people here take much more advantage of the warm weather season we have because back home, there isn't anything special about warm sunny weather.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People tend to get blasé about the weather they have and the advantages or charms of it. This applies to the visual beauty of snow-covered landscapes. Although November is pretty dreary, grey-brown and cool rainy around here so at this point a lot of people here are ready for snow to brighten things up.

Also, I have neighbours and friends here from tropical places and they all say that people here take much more advantage of the warm weather season we have because back home, there isn't anything special about warm sunny weather.
In fact I'm not looking forward to summer. I'd prefer our mild winter to mid 30s and 40s which seem to get commoner every year. Perth's climate is pretty good except when it gets really hot in summer.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 PM

231 posts, read 333,195 times
I've been to Toronto 3 times, long time ago but one was in winter and the other 2 were in summer. The winter pretty much destroyed me, i couldnt possibly live through that year in year out, the place rocks in summer though, love the ethnic neighbourhoods and the vibe around the place...will be there for a week again in August cant wait!

Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
I've been to Toronto 3 times, long time ago but one was in winter and the other 2 were in summer. The winter pretty much destroyed me, i couldnt possibly live through that year in year out, the place rocks in summer though, love the ethnic neighbourhoods and the vibe around the place...will be there for a week again in August cant wait!
*shrug* It's really not much of a hardship when it's native to you, you just dress warmly, know how to drive in the snow, and how to enjoy winter sports. It's just tough when it's alien to you and you don't have habits for it yet.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times
Good comparison. Dead even, at least with my vote.

Sydney's weather is nicer, so it edges it for me. Toronto is still a cool city though. I don't agree that it's boring.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
*shrug* It's really not much of a hardship when it's native to you, you just dress warmly, know how to drive in the snow, and how to enjoy winter sports. It's just tough when it's alien to you and you don't have habits for it yet.
It's largely a question of getting used to it. Many many parts of Canada were settled by a similar population demographic to that which settled Australia.

Of course, even with many winters under one's belt (in a lifetime and also intergenerationally) there are still quite a few Canadians who hate winter.

As there are also tropical climate dwellers who would like a bit of annual relief from the heat (although most would not give it up entirely I presume).

Old 11-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's largely a question of getting used to it. Many many parts of Canada were settled by a similar population demographic to that which settled Australia.

Of course, even with many winters under one's belt (in a lifetime and also intergenerationally) there are still quite a few Canadians who hate winter.

As there are also tropical climate dwellers who would like a bit of annual relief from the heat (although most would not give it up entirely I presume).
We think Melbourne has such a terrible climate but I actually think it's quite nice. People think it always rains (it gets more sun than Toronto), summers are actually similar to Toronto and winters are similar to San Francisco. Snow is almost unheard of in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World