Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well I've always known for a lorry is. Maybe it's the fact there are also so many English people in Perth?

Well they used to be called 'Smith's Crisps'...I mean I just find it hard to believe people not knowing what 'crisps' are in Australia.
I'm sure some would interpret "crisps" as "British for chips" - but I don't think everyone would necessarily make that connection right away. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone other than British expats actually using "crisps" and certainly "lorry" in daily conversation, though. Certainly not where I've lived: Vic, ACT and NSW. Smiths must have ditched that marketing line for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
I see a lot of replies to easthome: please note that he didn't start the thread, I did. The first 3 pages are from another thread where this conversation was rather off-topic. Sorry I didn't clarify earlier.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
I'm sure some would interpret "crisps" as "British for chips" - but I don't think everyone would necessarily make that connection right away. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone other than British expats actually using "crisps" and certainly "lorry" in daily conversation, though. Certainly not where I've lived: Vic, ACT and NSW. Smiths must have ditched that marketing line for a reason.
I just edited my post. Hard-pressed? It might be getting less commoner (maybe due to american influence), but it's certainly still in common parlance.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,411 times
Quote:
I just edited my post. Hard-pressed? It might be getting less commoner (maybe due to american influence), but it's certainly still in common parlance.
But fading fast? At the supermarket I see:

"Smiths"
"Red Rock Deli chips"
"Thins Chips"
"Kettle chips"
"Natural Chip Company chips"
"CC corn chips"
"Samboy chips"

Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:

"Smiths"
"Red Rock Deli chips"
"Thins Chips"
"Kettle chips"
"CC corn chips"
Yes it might be reflecting a change in terminology, but to think there is anyone over the age of say 25 who doesn't know they're also called 'crisps.' I think the trend is sometimes to move away with the traditional British to the American term/pronunciation. The term 'elevator' is also catch on.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
Lot of spelling differences, for instance, in England I might go to the garage to get some new tyres for my car, and pay by cheque. In the US I would go to a garage for some new tires and pay by check.

And there are numerous other such examples.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no such thing as 'American English', its just 'English', just because you can't spell 'some' words properly doesn't make it a different language! . There is also no such thing as Australian English - if you think there is then perhaps you could repeat your post but this time using 'English English' and then again using 'Australian English'? It looks to me like EVERY word you used is just 'English' (including the term soccer which is actually an 'English English' word).
Although it is just "English", saying American/British/Australian English, etc. telling one which variety of words, spelling, pronunciation, etc. that one is using.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:00 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Lot of spelling differences, for instance, in England I might go to the garage to get some new tyres for my car, and pay by cheque. In the US I would go to a garage for some new tires and pay by check.

And there are numerous other such examples.
In the UK one might hire a car whereas in the USA one will rent a car.

I have an Australian friend (that I met in China) that we correspond by email. I quite often I have to verify with her the meanings of some of expressions she uses (in written email) as they are not used in the USA but obviously quite common in Australia.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:

"Smiths"
"Red Rock Deli chips"
"Thins Chips"
"Kettle chips"
"CC corn chips"
"Samboy chips"
We won't ever call them chips as we refer to the potatoe things as chips.

It would lead to and cause constant confusion.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Yes it might be reflecting a change in terminology, but to think there is anyone over the age of say 25 who doesn't know they're also called 'crisps.' I think the trend is sometimes to move away with the traditional British to the American term/pronunciation. The term 'elevator' is also catch on.
We use elevator as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World