Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 AM

18 posts, read 28,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Pretty much all this.

Latin America is like 1000x more racist than the U.S., so forget that.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:17 AM

177 posts, read 194,199 times
Quote:
Pretty much all this.

Latin America is like 1000x more racist than the U.S., so forget that. Just watch a telenovela and you'll learn all you need to know about skin color in Latin America. In Asia you would be regarded as an odd curiosity, and that's if you're lucky. Arab world is terrible for blacks. So that leaves sub-Saharan Africa, which is generally dirt-poor, and probably would think an African American is an outsider anyways.

The U.S., for all its faults, is probably the best place for an African American. Canada, maybe Australia and some Western European countries would be possibilities too, but none are majority nonwhite.
No, this pretty much not all this.

I think its telling that a thread like this can go on and on between people who have clearly limited travel experience, yet are willing to talk about what they clearly know little about and get away with it, because of the similar ignorance of the people they are talking with.

The bottom line is, regardless of where you go to live in the world, your living conditions are subject to your financial situation relative to the country you will live in. As a black man/person, you can escape racism almost completely, if you have enough money (Read: power).

So lets talk about countries mentioned. Theres obviously a huge lack of knowledge about the African continent as its clear few, if any posters have actually been there. Internet geniuses via google doesn't work in the real world and a copy paste from Wiki or some other source simply shows that some posters haven't entered university level education.

The first places that come to mind are the Caribbean and some African countries - in both places you will need a higher income than average. You will experience no racism in a majority black country where white faces are rare. Its just something that doesn't happen. Its something that as a black person is immediately noticeable and why presumably, people that have made such a move, report it positively.

You will be looking for African Countries that have a majority speaking English and which have ex-pats or a retirement community there - this is an increasing level of both African and Caribbean countries.

Contrary to some people's understanding of Africa, Sub-Sahara African isn't 'black' and North Africa, isn't Arab. That is a very simplistic understanding and a general sign of ignorance. In all North African countries, there is a significant section of the community who are indigenous 'black' Africans. How they are treated depends on their social status. Similarly, Arabs are all over the continent and come in various shades, colors and cultures.

You'll find trying to attach American cultural similarities to other countries is more or less impossible; there is nowhere in the world quite like America; this is not necessarily a good thing when you are choosing to move; people tend to be universally suspicious of Americans until they meet them individually; the type of arrogant and ignorance-based condescension shown by some posters in this thread is the type of stereotypes of Americans that people despise the world over.

Assimilation to other's countries is important for an American to do - not to compare the country to your own, or live in an enclave, but to embrace the local customs, language, people and you will get the best out of the experience. Remember that European countries have had a huge impact on many of the places you will be considering and those countries will share more similarities with say, Britain or France, than what you might assume. Even a country way off the beaten track with hardly a white face anywhere. With that in mind, remember that European Culture and American Culture is vastly different; you as a black American man, have more in common with a White American (and vice versa), than with anyone else on Earth.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:08 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post

I think its telling that a thread like this can go on and on between people who have clearly limited travel experience, yet are willing to talk about what they clearly know little about and get away with it, because of the similar ignorance of the people they are talking with.
Yet the ironic thing in your statement is that you reveal you are actually the not well-traveled one.

Anyone who thinks there is no difference in race relations around the world, and that a black man is treated the exact same in Mexico as in Sweden is obviously completely ignorant of how the world works.

The OP can move wherever the hell he/she wants. But I guarantee there isn't such a country on earth. Any majority-minority developing world country on earth that isn't majority black will be very racist against blacks. This is definitely true in Latin America, the Arab World, and Asia.

Probably the least racist countries on earth are the U.S., Canada, Australia, and certain Northern European countries. Yet they are always cited as the most racist, because they are the only countries where such matters are even discussed. The concept of race-based equality would be viewed as bizarre in most countries

Go somewhere like Mexico and the most popular candy has basically a mascot of a monkey-like black man, where your skin color determines your status in life, where job advertisements list the acceptable skin colors for applicants, and where it's totally acceptable to call people "darkies" and the like. This is reality in much of the world. And Mexico isn't even unusually poor, backward or racist. It's an above-average country in terms of income and human development. Go to Guatemala or Yemen or Myanmar and you'll get some real backward BS. Not PC but the truth.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
I hope he leaves, maybe he can swap out his US citizenship wherever he ends up. I bet there would 1,000 people in line hoping to make the exchange.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
I worked or lived in over 25 countries. These countries in Europe, Middle East, Asia and South America.

I arrived in Bangkok, Thailand and on 20 November, 1970, as a young Army Officer. I love Thailand. However, the white soldiers, sailors and Marines just infected the Thai people as much as they could with racism as they did in Europe and the rest of Asia. However, many Thais would not go along with this.

When I lived in Bangkok, Thailand, there were African-American businesses, such as restaurants and night clubs/bars.

The last time I was in Thailand, it had changed for the worse in many ways. Asians love to emulate, "Westerners
(whites)." The Thais, have destroyed their country for the sake of money. They have in many ways, forsaken their culture. If I would decide to live in Thailand, it would be in the North and maybe the south of Bangkok. I could easily live in Bangkok, because I have friends there.

I worked in Indonesia for nearly four years. The Indonesians can be somewhat racist, however, deep down inside they (Indonesian Men) hate white men. This is due to the oppression they suffered under the hands of their colonial master, the Dutch. This is the same with Malaysia. I had a excellent time in Indonesia. Maybe, I could live there.

Middle East: I lived in Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi. Saudi Arabia is not a good place for anyone but Saudis and all Middle Eastern people have a dislike for Saudis. Abu Dhabi, is OK for work, but to live there, no thank you.

South America: I worked or lived in Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Argentina. These are some of the most racist countries and people in the world. not, in the U.S, manner, but in a social economic manner. I no longer care for most, "Latins" at ALL! When I told a young black man about my experience in Brazil, as usual with black men, he did not believe it! However, I did not have a problem in any city of Brazil.

I moved to Brazil! I wanted to live the rest of my life in Brazil, however, this country as EVERY SPANISH / PORTUGUESE SPEAKING COUNTRY, has the following problems: corruption, crime, inequality, class struggles, theft on a massive scale.
I lived in Salvador, Brazil. I loved the area. It was Black, African and I had a great time there. I also worked in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, many years before, I moved to Brazil.

I also wanted to re-locate to Medellín, Colombia. I received my special visa, however it did not work out for many reasons; as with Brazil, I would have a very hard time importing my stereo equipment and my hundreds of CDs.
If I cannot have my music with me, then, I will not move there. Plus, the corruption in Colombia is horrible!

I was in a restaurant in Bucaramanga, Colombia and the stares from some of the Latin males was shocking!

Maybe, I could live in Uruguay. It is very , "European." Very little corruption, slower, quiet, nice people.

I am looking forward to visiting Cuba. I love the food and music. I want to visit East Cuba, because of it's African history and rebellion against the Cuban ( White) government is the 1920's and 1930's. I could not live there.

Europe: for me Germany Austria, Northern Italy and Southern France, maybe Denmark. However, Europe is now in turmoil. Not a good place to be.

All in all, once most people of the world, meet, African Americans, they are in awe of our willingness to learn, our respect for their culture and our humility. If you remain the way, most countries/people are willing to accept you. DO NOT BE THE UGLY AMERICAN! Respect the WOMEN and culture!

I now live in Tampa, Florida and still want to re-locate to another county.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:35 AM

155 posts, read 206,860 times
Anywhere but America

Old 09-10-2016, 10:16 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
My friend is full African American (dark skinned). She is very pro afro culture and wanted to study abroad in Brazil due to how many black/mulatto people live there. She studied in an area called Bahia. she came back from her experience shocked. She didn't realize how racist brazil was. Apparently when she was in "white areas" she would get looks by people, and unlike the mixed race black people in the USA, she found that the light skined blacks/mulattos in Brazil were just as racist towards her as the white brazilians were. Maybe it was just the region she was in....maybe she was taking herself too seriously, but she came back to the US with a newfound respect. This is the same girl that proclaimed she thought white Americans were the most racist people on earth, not the case anymore......

Having said that, I do think that south america/central america/ect. would definitely be the best fit for a mixed black person...and probably would be the best fit for a full black person as well. One would have to factor in income and nationality...I think if an upper-class African American and a lower class Jamacian moved to a certain country the American would be treated A LOT better than the Jamacian.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:54 PM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Quote:
Yet the ironic thing in your statement is that you reveal you are actually the not well-traveled one.

Anyone who thinks there is no difference in race relations around the world, and that a black man is treated the exact same in Mexico as in Sweden is obviously completely ignorant of how the world works.

The OP can move wherever the hell he/she wants. But I guarantee there isn't such a country on earth. Any majority-minority developing world country on earth that isn't majority black will be very racist against blacks. This is definitely true in Latin America, the Arab World, and Asia.

Probably the least racist countries on earth are the U.S., Canada, Australia, and certain Northern European countries. Yet they are always cited as the most racist, because they are the only countries where such matters are even discussed. The concept of race-based equality would be viewed as bizarre in most countries

Go somewhere like Mexico and the most popular candy has basically a mascot of a monkey-like black man, where your skin color determines your status in life, where job advertisements list the acceptable skin colors for applicants, and where it's totally acceptable to call people "darkies" and the like. This is reality in much of the world. And Mexico isn't even unusually poor, backward or racist. It's an above-average country in terms of income and human development. Go to Guatemala or Yemen or Myanmar and you'll get some real backward BS. Not PC but the truth.
Sorry nonsense,

Japan for me as a British Nigerian has always been fine.

You spoke of Yemen and the Middle East. Have you ever seen a Houthi? Google "dark skinned yemenis" the average American would consider them black.

Ditto UAE and Egypt was fine for me.. Again have a look at pictures of dark Emiratis or former Egyptian premier Anwar Sadat at before showing your level of ignorance...

The only thing I would agree on is that Latin America is very racist. But I doubt that anyone thinks that it isn't these days. Even Brazil has a bad reputation for Racism as everyone knows poorer areas are more brown, whilst wealthy areas like Barra da Tijuca and Ipanema are almost lily white.

I would agree with some of the posters here. Most Racism in non-white nations sadly has a lot to do with the level of white western influence. Notions of racial superiority don't really seem to hold sway in much of Asia or Africa. Beyond xenophobia (a fear of someone who looks different to you, which can be overcome surprisingly quickly even in say Japan if you appreciate social mores). Never have I been physically threatened for being black in the Middle East, Far East, South East Asia (not India) or Africa. I have been physically threatened, beaten or chased in Scandinavia, America, Germany, France and rural parts of the UK.

A good test I always ask people, find me local stories of a black person being beaten to death on account of their skin colour in said non white nations? Bar Latin America it is a lot less common in the regions I have cited than in Europe or America assuming it has even happened at all..

I recall the return of Emirati Mohammed Majid in 2012 who was embraced by the minister of the interior when he was freed by kidnappers. His dark complexion mattered not one iota and I thought I have never seen such behaviour by western statesmen to their darker skinned naturalised citizens.

Last edited by nograviti; 09-10-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 04:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quite a lot of African Americans are now calling Medellin, Colombia their home and the number is on the increase...

From minute 2:30

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 09-11-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 07:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
If I started a thread looking for the best white country for a white person to live, I'd labeled a racist by the second post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World