Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 AM

401 posts, read 650,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I listen to people rant on about undergrounds and subways, however in reality they often only form part of a cities transport needs.

In terms of London, the regional rail services are far faster and more convenient for getting across the city and Crossrail will have a massive impact, with Thameslink and London Overground. Lets also not forget the Docklands Light Railway and the South London Tramlink, which may be extended in the future. In terms of the Underground it's also being extended to Battersea and has seen massive upgrades to it's infrastructure and rolling stock in recent years, hence the ticket rises.

As for London Bridge which is not in the West End but near where the Shard has now been built to the South of the City directly across London Bridge (not to be confused with Tower Bridge) and which is home to the vast London Bridge Station which is part of Thameslink for regional train services and London Bridge Tube Station. So I am not entirely sure how this area is badly served given that it's not the West End or indeed central Paris but Southwark and lets not forget the area is being improved in terms of transport links and that there have been proposals in recent tears for a new tram system in this area, whilst Peckham and Denmark Hill are now part of the London Overground Network.
It was here more precisely : https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...963a5addd52a99
Not exactly London Bridge but not far (apartments called "think London Bridge Apartments" that's why I said London Bridge)
Had to walk to the Borough Station and it took some time (around 15 minutes)
Still is quite central in London and I think it's technically within Central London, so I think it's fair to compare with Paris.
By comparison the ENTIRE city of Paris is very well covered (even the outer arrondissements like the 18th, 19th or 20th), not only its central and touristic area
Now I'm not saying transportation in London sucks, it's very good, but behind Paris IMO, maybe because the city is more spread out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
It was here more precisely : https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...963a5addd52a99
Not exactly London Bridge but not far (apartments called "think London Bridge Apartments" that's why I said London Bridge)

Had to walk to the Borough Station and it took some time (around 15 minutes)

Still is quite central in London and I think it's technically within Central London, so I think it's fair to compare with Paris.
By comparison the ENTIRE city of Paris is very well covered (even the outer arrondissements like the 18th, 19th or 20th), not only its central and touristic area

Now I'm not saying transportation in London sucks, it's very good, but behind Paris IMO, maybe because the city is more spread out

The City of Paris has a population of 2,249,975 and is well covered, however I hardly think Southwark which has traditionally been off the beaten track in turns of tourism is comparable with much of Central Paris, unless you want to go site seeing in Peckham.

London has a very good system and even if you have to travel 15 minutes to a station there are regular buses.

In terms of Paris inner Paris is well served by the metro in terms of Central Paris but there is not a vast number more Metro Stations in Paris, indeed there are 303 compared to London's 270 with a further 6 new London set to open, in relation to the Battersea Tube Extension and this is without taking in to consideration the DLR (45 Stations)or South London Tramlink (39 Stations) both of which are being expanded. Whilst on top of this London's Regional Railways and investment such as Crossrail, Crossrail 2, Thameslink and London Overground mean that London has one of the best rail networks of any city in the entire world.

It should also be noted that the Paris Metro despite having 303 stations only has a comparatively paltry 133 miles of track, with the London Underground having over 250 miles of track an over 270 stations (with six new ones) opening. Although it should be noted on longer journeys too main stops just add time to journeys and make the system ever more aggravating. This is where rail systems such as regionsl rail, Crossrail 1 & 2, Thameslink and London Overground become preferable.

Comparing Two European Public Transports- The Tube and the Metro

List of London Underground stations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Docklands Light Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tramlink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transport for London - Tube & Rail Map

Last edited by Bamford; 12-27-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 12:49 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,956,463 times
London, New York, Hong Kong and Barcelona.

For a city of it's size, I think Stockholm does too. The metro pretty much takes you everywhere in Stockholm, and even the small outer localities have their own station.
Plenty of bus routes too inside the city and in the suburbs. Suburban rail and trams are also present, the tramline has a total of 71 stations.
Bus route map of inner Stockholm

There are 2 airports in metropolitan Stockholm, with the two others each being 100km away.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The City of Paris has a population of 2,249,975 and is well covered, however I hardly think Southwark which has traditionally been off the beaten track in turns of tourism is comparable with much of Central Paris, unless you want to go site seeing in Peckham.

London has a very good system and even if you have to travel 15 minutes to a station there are regular buses.

In terms of Paris inner Paris is well served by the metro in terms of Central Paris but there is not a vast number more Metro Stations in Paris, indeed there are 303 compared to London's 270 with a further 6 new London set to open, in relation to the Battersea Tube Extension and this is without taking in to consideration the DLR (45 Stations)or South London Tramlink (39 Stations) both of which are being expanded. Whilst on top of this London's Regional Railways and investment such as Crossrail, Crossrail 2, Thameslink and London Overground mean that London has one of the best rail networks of any city in the entire world.

It should also be noted that the Paris Metro despite having 303 stations only has a comparatively paltry 133 miles of track, with the London Underground having over 250 miles of track an over 270 stations (with six new ones) opening. Although it should be noted on longer journeys too main stops just add time to journeys and make the system ever more aggravating. This is where rail systems such as regionsl rail, Crossrail 1 & 2, Thameslink and London Overground become preferable.

The 20th arrondissement has nothing to offer to the tourist yet it is very well served. The same can be said for every other outer arrondissement (double digit arrondissements). Touristic areas in Paris are in the 1st (Louvre, Rivoli, Les Halles, Tuileries), 4th (Le Marais, Hotel de ville, Pompidou, Notre Dame), 5th (Quartier Latin, Saint Michel) , 6th (Luxembourg, Saint Germain des Près), 7th (Eiffel Tower), 8th (Champs Elisées, Madeleine) and 9th arrondissement (Opera, Boulevard Haussmann). The only exception is Montmartre in the 18th.
So southwark around London bridge is comparable to an outer arrondissement.

Now you're comparing the number of stations. There are indeed 303 Metro stations. But you forgot the RER (and transilien) ... which has 509 stations, 33 of which are in Paris. The RER almost works as a express line in Paris.
In addition to that you have the tramway (181 stations).
Total : ~980 Stations
London is not winning here sorry. Neither is NYC. Paris is just very divided between the city itself and its suburbs (just go on Google Maps, you can guess the city limits pretty easily) whereas London and NYC at some point of their history decided to include the suburbs in the city, so the London Tube and NYC Subway serve very large areas whereas the Paris metro lines serve the city and the RER/Transilien/Tramway lines serve the suburbs.
But you have to understand that the RER is massive. It is 587km long. And I'm not counting the transilien.
See yourself

And here's a map more focused on the metro

And the Paris metro is also expending. The line 14 will be expended and 3 new lines will be built. Those new lines will serve mostly the suburbs as the city has enough stations already.

Last edited by ryever; 12-27-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The 20th arrondissement has nothing to offer to the tourist yet it is very well served. The same can be said for every other outer arrondissement (double digit arrondissements). Touristic areas in Paris are in the 1st (Louvre, Rivoli, Les Halles, Tuileries), 4th (Le Marais, Hotel de ville, Pompidou, Notre Dame), 5th (Quartier Latin, Saint Michel) , 6th (Luxembourg, Saint Germain des Près), 7th (Eiffel Tower), 8th (Champs Elisées, Madeleine) and 9th arrondissement (Opera, Boulevard Haussmann). The only exception is Montmartre in the 18th.
So southwark around London bridge is comparable to an outer arrondissement.

Now you're comparing the number of stations. There are indeed 303 Metro stations. But you forgot the RER (and transilien) ... which has 509 stations, 33 of which are in Paris. The RER almost works as a express line in Paris.
In addition to that you have the tramway (181 stations).
Total : ~980 Stations
London is not winning here sorry. Neither is NYC. Paris is just very divided between the city itself and its suburbs (just go on Google Maps, you can guess the city limits pretty easily) whereas London and NYC at some point of their history decided to include the suburbs in the city, so the London Tube and NYC Subway serve a very large area whereas the Paris metro lines serve the city and the RER/Transilien/Tramway lines serve the suburbs.
But you have to understand that the RER is massive. It is 587km long. And I'm not counting the transilien.
See yourself

And here's a map more focused on the metro

And the Paris metro is also expending. The line 14 will be expended and 3 new lines will be built. Those new lines will serve mostly the suburbs as the city has enough stations already.
What's the bus system like in Paris (+Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne)?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
What's the bus system like in Paris (+Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne)?
Autobus d'ÃŽle-de-France
25 000 km long
1450 lines
3.5M daily users
Quite good. I never take them in Paris because the metro is much more efficient (no traffic underground ..) but they can be useful in some suburbs and at night

Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Autobus d'ÃŽle-de-France
25 000 km long
1450 lines
3.5M daily users
Quite good. I never take them in Paris because the metro is much more efficient (no traffic underground ..) but they can be useful in some suburbs and at night
Indeed, the metro is definitely more efficient in Stockholm as well. But that's a lot of lines in the area definitely beats London then

Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 PM

468 posts, read 616,532 times
Certainly not Adelaide. Australian cities really suffer from lack of rapid transit.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Paris metro system....it's definitely super extensive and convenient, you can reach pretty much every spot in Paris(and the surrounding towns) by using it, but it's also super dirty and filled with the smell of pee. The trains were like ovens in July as there was no AC. There was no internet connection either. Oh and the trains don't always tell you the names of the stops. Not user-friendly enough imo. I mean how are blind people supposed to do with it? Or the physically-challenged?
And Gare du Nord was such a nightmare, omg.

I guess I'm just used to our MRT where everything is clean, AC is always on, free wifi is accessible in every station and the staffs are always helpful to the blind or those in wheelchairs.

Last edited by Greysholic; 12-27-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Paris metro system....it's definitely super extensive and convenient, you can reach pretty much every spot in Paris(and the surrounding towns) by using it, but it's also super dirty and filled with the smell of pee. The trains were like ovens in July as there was no AC. There was no internet connection either. Oh and the trains don't always tell you the names of the stops. Not user-friendly enough imo. I mean how are blind people supposed to do with it? Or the physically-challenged?
And Gare du Nord was such a nightmare, omg.

I guess I'm just used to our MRT where everything is clean, AC is always on, free wifi is accessible in every station and the staffs are always helpful to the blind or those in wheelchairs.
It might be extensive in the Centre of Paris but it's not that extensive as a whole, with 133 miles of track compared with London Undergrounds 250 miles plus, and as I have already pointed out in previous posts London has lots of other stations relating to the DLR, Trams and Rail.

Comparing Two European Public Transports- The Tube and the Metro

London generally has a very good transport system even if one poster did have to walk 15 minutes to the tube station in Southwark as there wasn't a tube station conveniently on his front door step, although I am sure there are regular buses linking up with the tube station. Then again a good walk never did anyone any harm in fact quite the opposite and cities are encouraging more people to walk and cycle with new cycle ways planned as a means to stave off obesity.

In terms of South London there are future plans to increase the tram network and there is a good rail network linking to Thameslink and London Overground coupled with existing tube lines. Crossrail 2 will also run North to South across London and will most likely be started when Crossrail itself is complete in 2017.

Last edited by Bamford; 12-28-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World