Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times

Advertisements

Florida

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 04:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Today was a normal project day at our house - meaning that I have had really ugly clothes on all day and never bothered to put on any makeup or even put in my contacts! And I'm a mess, but the entry way and garage look really great!

We bought a house about two months ago. The house has great bones, but needed some updating. So we've been having fun doing the cosmetic stuff - it's a lot more fun than doing things like replacing toilets or roofs! Anyway, for the past two days we've worked on sprucing up the entry way.

Here's what it looked like before:

And now!

So - this was my view for most of today. My husband is a GENIUS by the way - he switched out the door hardware like a pro!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Today was a normal project day at our house - meaning that I have had really ugly clothes on all day and never bothered to put on any makeup or even put in my contacts! And I'm a mess, but the entry way and garage look really great!

We bought a house about two months ago. The house has great bones, but needed some updating. So we've been having fun doing the cosmetic stuff - it's a lot more fun than doing things like replacing toilets or roofs! Anyway, for the past two days we've worked on sprucing up the entry way.

And now!

So - this was my view for most of today. My husband is a GENIUS by the way - he switched out the door hardware like a pro!
A truly beautiful home.
Great to see all the pics from around the world i feel i have been travelling.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 PM

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM

more of Tasmania, Near by beach and Kookaburra in my garden they pull worms up from the ground most of the day.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:44 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

And now!

Well done! Very pleasant colours.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
The place looks good KathrynAragon!

Living in an art town you tend to come across random art projects from time to time like this series of bird houses along one of the cross country ski tracks.

There's a few art galleries too, the big one focuses on modern art and changes each year, went in this year on the free day during the 'art weeks' we have every summer. I got an interesting picture but its slightly NSFW so I guess I can't post it. There seemed to be a dick theme this year..

Here's the cafe up the top of the 'mountain' - open for the first time in about 30 years. Unfortunately there's not much of a view from there any more as the trees have grown too tall and its not allowed to cut them down as the whole mountain is protected but its still nice to sit there and have a cup of tea and a slice of cake (one of the ladies makes her own gluten free swiss roll which is delicious). I go there every few days as I love the walk up.

And these are the steps up the mountain - last time I walked up those I almost had an asthma attack! Sticking to the paths from now on.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I love all the pictures (and thanks for the nice comments on my house project, y'all!). Keep 'em coming!

I also think we can use "word pictures" to describe our typical days as well. I have "two lives." One is when my husband is home (as he is now) and the other is when he's out of town working (which is a LOT).

On days that he's home, we both enjoy doing work projects around our place. There's always something to do. Typically we sleep in till about 7:30 or 8 am, then get up and after sharing a pot of coffee and planning our day, we hit the ground running. I try to get a smoothie down my husband but sometimes that's impossible (I'm TRYING to get him to eat a more healthy diet but it's a challenge!).

We line out our day and that usually involves getting out and about rounding up items we need for whatever project we're working on - and it's always something. For instance, this week we worked on the entry way. Today we're going to hang outdoor hose thingies, set out tiki torches, and finish organizing the garage.

Later in the day (or when the summer heat is brutal, early in the morning) we take our two monsters, I mean dogs, for a walk. THEY LOVE IT. They are very common and mongrelly looking mutts that each weigh about 70 pounds. It's all they can do to contain their excitement as we walk around the neighborhood!

I keep trying to get my husband to the gym but so far I'm not having any luck.

If we have no evening plans, I usually make dinner from scratch - lots of southern cuisine - fresh veggies, fresh bread, usually chicken or fish for the meat. I also enjoy cooking Asian foods, which my husband loves. And recently, I started collecting vintage and antique cook books, so a couple of times a week I try some sort of weird recipe from those and we both get a kick out of that! I enjoy cooking.

This evening we're going out with friends to listen to some live music and maybe do a few turns on the dance floor, and kick back a few drinks together. Should be fun! We'll probably get in about 10 or 10:30 (we're all middle aged - LOL!), and then we'll watch TV in bed together for awhile. We usually watch old "Friends" reruns, or "Father Ted" or "Black Adder." We love curling up in bed and laughing at silly sit coms before falling asleep.

When my husband is gone, I have a completely different life. I get up earlier, drink more coffee, stay on C-D longer, and do smaller projects. I usually have at least one project going - for instance, the next time he's gone, I'm going to paint a few walls. I'm also going to plant my herb garden - I've already got the space cleared out but my grandbabies and I are growing the herbs from seed (we just moved or I would already have my herb garden up and growing).

I rarely turn on the TV when he's gone. I do a lot more reading in the evenings (when he's home, he's so conversational that I have a hard time keeping up with what I'm reading). When he's gone, I usually finish a couple of books - one or two a week. I also write letters (snail mail) to my far flung grandbabies (in Guam), and I get together more with my parents and my daughter and her family who live about two hours away. We usually spend a weekend together and do something fun with the kids - and with ourselves as well (my family is BIG into home improvement projects so we're always working on something - painting, reupholstering, shopping for just the right thing, etc).

I also go to the gym nearly every day when he's gone and my evening walks are about twice as long, though I can't manage two 70 pound dogs, so unfortunately they are left behind. And I eat SUPER HEALTHY when he's gone too - I am actually an organic/health food nut and if left completely to my own devices would probably also be a vegetarian - not because of ideology but because I'm just not much into meat at all.

Consequently, I usually lose five pounds when he's gone and gain it back when he's home - LOL!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times

Lakeside lunch at Lake Attersee, Upper Austria. Life is good.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
In 2011 there was a Tall Ships Race and one of the stops was in Greenock, near Glasgow. It's a short ferry trip over to that side so I spent a day watching all the ships and boats.

This area used to be the ship-building capital - River Clyde. They built warships, cruise ships, etc. The Cutty Sark, The Queen Elizabeth II, etc. When my husband was a child the schools would let all the kids go down to watch the new ships launched - with the champagne bottle smashed against it, etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World