Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times

Advertisements

In my opnion, so far, Ameriscot pictures have been the most scenic in this thread so far. And then Natsku from Finland had some really nice pics as well. Most notably a simple path in the woods, which is a very familiar landscape for me as well.

Kathryn from Texas has also great pics of typical suburban life there in the heart of delta.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 07-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: gramer mistace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
In my opnion, so far, Ameriscot pictures have been the most scenic in this thread so far. And then Natsku from Finland had some really nice pics as well. Most notably a simple path in the woods, which is a very familiar landscape for me as well.

Kathryn from Texas has also great pics of typical suburban life there in the heart of delta.
Thanks! It's easy to take scenic photos in Scotland. Beautiful place.

I'm enjoying all the other photos as well. I will try to remember to get some photos of the town nearest to me.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:

Gotta love those paths in the woods

Went to Tampere today and took a few pics, shall post them when I can be arsed to.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Not exactly local. The plaque where Scotland's hero, Sir William Wallace, was executed in London in 1305.

A train station in Perthshire

A village down the road from us. These are the tradtional ferryman's cottages.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times

Today in Vienna. Nope, not an anti-terror operation. Just the police trying to get some hippies out of an occupied building.

Later on they even had to get a tank.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Oh those naughty hippies

Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Early morning drive yesterday;

Earlier last week in the New Forest;

Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 AM

Couple photos from Tampere. Used to live here, nice place.

Fountain at Näsi park which is a park made on a big old rock. The fountain with its statues was the first public work of art in the city, the statues being the maiden Pohjanneito spinning gold thread, grandfather and grandson at a water wheel and grandmother teaching granddaughter to knit. Nice park for summer picnics and winter sledging as it has some steep slopes. There's an old palace at the top of the hill, I think they're going to refurbish it soon. Also a bandstand that was built in the 50s.

Its Flowers Week at the moment, not really sure what that's all about but it seems to be an excuse for festival fun as there was a board which was chock full of events happening in the main town square all week (lots of live music, dance performances etc.). Here's the main square, they brought in a ferris wheel and there was also some big inflatable balls that you can go in the middle of and roll around a bit like the boy in the bubble!

Will be going up to Lappi next to the old family farm, beautiful place and next month I'm off to Turku (so Ariete, if you fancy meeting for a cup of coffee I'm up for it)

Old 07-29-2014, 04:42 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,844 times

The Ferris Wheel is definitely something I remember about Tampere and the Koskikeskus

Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:

Thank you! I have all sorts of "scenic pictures" from my travels near and far, but I've really tried to keep the photos on this thread limited to my "every day life" rather than my vacation life. The local terrain is pleasantly rolling and green but the terrain isn't spectacular - just peaceful and bucolic.

I'm really enjoying the photos from everyone!

OK, typical day - let's see...yesterday, my husband left for a couple of weeks to do a job up in Pennsylvania, so my double life resumes.

I went to a neighborhood bible study for the first time (the first meeting too). It was interesting, since there's a wide range of beliefs. Being new to the neighborhood, I sat back and let others do more deciding what to study. I have my preferences but I don't mind being pushed outside my comfort zone and learning something from another perspective. So anyway...there was a woman there who attends the local Assembly of God church, which is a charismatic sort of church rather than a more traditional type. She said, "Oh I know what I'd like for us to study - the blood moons!" You could have heard a pin drop. I had no idea what she was even talking about. Then this other woman, who attends a VERY traditional, conservative Baptist church, said quietly, "Well, I read that a lot of that information about the blood moons is exaggerated or inaccurate." What the heck - were we going to have two church ladies break out into a fight???? Unfortunately, that didn't happen but we decided not to study blood moons.

Anyway, then I came back home and paid some bills and took care of some business stuff, and then went over to our old house, which is vacant, and swept and mopped and cleaned it (I do that about once a week since it's on the market). Took some new pictures since it's vacant now, and sent them to my realtor to post online. Then I went over to my inlaw's house to check on them (both are elderly and in poor health). They seemed to be doing pretty well.

Someone had brought them a pecan pie and it was one of the best I had ever tasted. Do other countries have pecan pie? I don't know but WOW it was fabulous. It's the most fattening pie you can eat, basically, so I only had a tiny little piece!

We had a huge, but typical, summer storm while I was over there. Lots of dramatic lightning strikes and buckets of rain and loud thunder, but no high winds. We had 60 mph winds with a storm a few days ago, so I was glad we didn't have to deal with that again (I'm still picking up branches out of my yard from the first one!).

I spent a quiet evening at home, doing some reading and then I watched Orange is the New Black for the first time. I watched several episodes and it sort of grew on me.

Today I'm having lunch with a girlfriend at one of our favorite girly restaurants - best salad bar in town and a cute shop attached to it. WOOHOO! Then we're going to go buy some makeup together. I know - frivolous! The air conditioner guy is coming out this afternoon because my upstairs unit doesn't seem to be working well. Air conditioning is an ABSOLUTE MUST here so that's got to be fixed before my onslaught of house guests get here this weekend!

But first I'm going to go to the gym this morning. I'm taking an aerobics class this morning - wish it was yoga but that's later in the day today and I can't be there then. If it was going to be as hot as normal, I'd also walk on the indoor track but thankfully yesterday's storms brought us a "cold front" so the high today will only be about 90F (32C). For the rest of the week, the highs are only going to be in the high 80sF (30C or so). I LOVE THAT! Sunny with highs in the 80s - in Texas in August. Wow, we're really catching a break!

Tomorrow I'm going to go buy some paint for some interior walls, and I'm going to go by the Christian Womens Job Corp and get a volunteer schedule. I love that ministry - it offers job training or retraining for women who have no office skills but who have gotten out of or are getting out of abusive/bad situations and trying to re enter the workforce. Basically, it's helping women to be self sufficient rather than stuck in abusive relationships or on public assistance. It's a great program and when I lived in this area before (ten years ago) I volunteered there. They have a series of classes and then a graduation and then they work with local companies to get the women hired. So cool!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-29-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World