Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times

Advertisements

Well, I just used the apartment to get some sleep and the location was perfect to get to work and to LKF.

Hong Kong has some superb beaches, forests and hiking paths for the weekends. Plus, I never had to cook for myself since there were amazing eateries on literally every corner. Probably my favourite city on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 01:46 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Still could never life there.. I could only live in America if anywhere.

I don't like isolating myself in countries thousands of miles away with completely different laws etc. imagine what would happen in an emergency

Old 08-02-2014, 02:01 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
A couple of other daily life/weekend shots:

Meat shopping for the BBQ at the Jordan MTR station:

BBQ at Shek O:

BBQ at Shek O 2:

Stanley:

Another market in Central:

A Thai/Chinese restaurant at which I was a regular... Unfortunately it closed after Chinese New Year... For whatever reason... Non-stop Bob Marley music.

View from the 10000 Buddhas Monastery towards what I believe was a pagoda of a buddhist cemetery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Still could never life there.. I could only live in America if anywhere.

I don't like isolating myself in countries thousands of miles away with completely different laws etc. imagine what would happen in an emergency
I certainly wasn't isolated Plus, I can't really think of an emergency that would have been a major issue in Hong Kong. Doctors/police/immigration officers spoke English, I had proper health insurance and people had my Chinese cell phone number. So there was nothing to worry about in my books.

Last edited by viribusunitis; 08-02-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 06:12 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I was looking at uni's in America and alot of them are in these wee small towns with nothing in them. For me at least the definition of small and rural is different to an American.Alot of these Universities are in these towns with nothing in them about 500 miles from any actual city. I'm not a city dweller but that would kill me.

Maine is the worst.
Not only that but a lot of college towns look almost exactly the same in terms of how they are laid out and they definitely lack character in my opinion.

Lawrence, Kansas, Ames, Iowa and Stillwater, Oklahoma are very similar

Old 08-02-2014, 06:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
NO INSULTS!

People, please don't indulge in criticizing the lives and lifestyle choices of others - that's not what this thread is about. People love where they live, or things about where they live, for a myriad of reasons, most of which are pretty personal. Let's please try to rise above nitpicking the choices of others.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Not my every day life right now, but it will be for two months this coming winter Koh Samui, Thailand where we visited earlier this year for a wedding. Loved it so much we are renting a bungalow there that is near a beach - across the road.

One of the thousands of shots I got while there:

Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
NO INSULTS!

People, please don't indulge in criticizing the lives and lifestyle choices of others - that's not what this thread is about. People love where they live, or things about where they live, for a myriad of reasons, most of which are pretty personal. Let's please try to rise above nitpicking the choices of others.
Although tempted, I resisted!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Not really my everyday life now, but it once was. This is where I went to camp when I was a boy. I recently looked it at just like this on Google Streetview and noticed the signs had changed. It now belongs to a church group. After doing some research, I found out the camp was foreclosed on. On one hand, I'm sad to hear that, but I also found out these new owners periodically open up the camp to the public during the summer. I haven't been there in 12 years, so the idea of going is pretty tempting. I should do it before summer is over, swim in the same lake I swam in almost everyday in the summer of years. So many memories... I could walk this place blindfolded. It is on the edge of what is almost continuous wilderness. It certainly felt that way if you hiked east off the campground, as we would often do. You could conceivably hike from the camp and eventually hit the massive Wharton State Forest without passing through any towns.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.81839...62.87,,0,12.34

Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM

308 posts, read 398,529 times
Western Norwegian summer - Pelting rain and thunder! Whoo hoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTl...ature=youtu.be

Why was I out in the middle of nowhere during a thunderstorm, you ask? I was out cutting down saplings along a forest path, deer hunting season is coming up and we want people to walk along specific paths, away from the fields of fire. The other guy was smart and left fifteen minutes before the floodgates opened.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:55 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
A couple of other daily life/weekend shots:

Meat shopping for the BBQ at the Jordan MTR station:

BBQ at Shek O:

BBQ at Shek O 2:

Stanley:

Another market in Central:

A Thai/Chinese restaurant at which I was a regular... Unfortunately it closed after Chinese New Year... For whatever reason... Non-stop Bob Marley music.

View from the 10000 Buddhas Monastery towards what I believe was a pagoda of a buddhist cemetery:

I certainly wasn't isolated Plus, I can't really think of an emergency that would have been a major issue in Hong Kong. Doctors/police/immigration officers spoke English, I had proper health insurance and people had my Chinese cell phone number. So there was nothing to worry about in my books.
Lol I was like "Holy **** none of these looks like Austria AT ALL" then I saw Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World