Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
- Visit an American "County Fair" (or State Fair), if it's the season. Enjoy the contests/ exhibits of livestock (animals), plants, the contest for the largest vegetables/ fruits, the best flowers, the best handicrafted items, the stage entertainers/ musicians, the snack foods, framed art by local artists, the booths (exhibit tables) of local organizations, politicians running for election, the school science fair projects. the carnival rides, ferris wheel.

- Attend a demolition derby http://en.wikipedia.org/Demolition_Derby - great fun for the family of all ages. Uniquely American.

- Attend a fundamentalist or modern praise-style worship service. Especially an African-American congregation. In N.Y. City, some bus tours take visitors to a Harlem (black peoples) church, and Europeans find the worship very interesting and inspiring, although they may not fully understand English language.
These are GREAT ideas. I especially love the ones about going to the fair and going to an AA church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 AM

15 posts, read 19,336 times
Seriously, visiting the red light areas, gambling places or even drug places in some countries are good activities for tourists to know more about the places.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Get the hell out of central Paris.
And go where exactly?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why is this tacky?
Because it almost doesn't sound like something most Canadians actually do because it involves multiple stereotypes, like maple syrupe and snow haha. I'm also not sure if most people here have done this at all.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
To get an idea of daily life in Taiwan,I'd recommend:

1.Simply cross the streets here,you'd get a great idea of how murderous the drivers here are.

2.Stand right in a busy area and observe the motorcycles.It's like the Niagara Fall of stinky CO2 emission.

3.Convenient stores.I wouldn't recommend night markets because we don't go there on a daily basis(at least the people I know don't),while convenient stores are almost like daily necessities.

4.If you happen to have a Taiwanese friend who speaks great English,ask him or her to explain what the news presenters are saying,you'd get a perfect idea of how vicious and disgusting politicians could get and realize how ****ed up this country is.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Because it almost doesn't sound like something most Canadians actually do because it involves multiple stereotypes, like maple syrupe and snow haha. I'm also not sure if most people here have done this at all.
OK, but I am not sure that makes it tacky. Maybe stereotypical. Certainly in the area I live in, most everyone has had maple syrup taffy on the snow.

But stuff like this isn't really any more tacky than other things that have been mentioned on here like the battle of the oranges, patriotic parades, schools sports with scantily-clad cheerleaders, etc.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Attend one of our hundreds of festivals, from the International Jazz Festival (biggest in the world), to the International Fireworks Festival to Just for Laughs to Les Nuits d'Afriques to the Circus Arts Festival.
Go to the Main for our famous smoked meat. Catch a Cirque du Soleil show on their home turf under the Big Top.
The Plateau for fresh bagels right out of the wood-burning ovens. Stroll through Old Montreal and watch the musicians, jugglers and artists. Have crepes for brunch at a terrace at Place Jacques Cartier. See the wildlife at the Biodome. Take them up to the cottage in the Laurentians to do some fishing or kayaking.
The list is endless.
Oh. How could I forget? I'd take them to Montreal's vast underground city. Since it's an island, we can't build OUT, so we build down.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
Chew betelnuts from betelnuts stores, flirt or even grab their txxs, this service is included in the price of betelnuts. Do not spit the betelnuts, wrab them with papers and throw them in bins like a good westener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
To get an idea of daily life in Taiwan,I'd recommend:

1.Simply cross the streets here,you'd get a great idea of how murderous the drivers here are.

2.Stand right in a busy area and observe the motorcycles.It's like the Niagara Fall of stinky CO2 emission.

3.Convenient stores.I wouldn't recommend night markets because we don't go there on a daily basis(at least the people I know don't),while convenient stores are almost like daily necessities.

4.If you happen to have a Taiwanese friend who speaks great English,ask him or her to explain what the news presenters are saying,you'd get a perfect idea of how vicious and disgusting politicians could get and realize how ****ed up this country is.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit_is_red View Post
Chew betelnuts from betelnuts stores, flirt or even grab their txxs, this service is included in the price of betelnuts. Do not spit the betelnuts, wrab them with papers and throw them in bins like a good westener.
Ew,lol.
I don't think tourists would want to chew betel nuts though,it's gross.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And go where exactly?
Anywhere. In Paris, take the metro or RER get off at random stop. I tend to do that when I visit a foreign city, take a subway/tram/suburban rail line, get off at the terminus or somewhere in the middle and check out the area. Then stop at a bar, cafe or restaurant and people watch. Maybe enter a few shops or the local supermarket.

Ok that sounds dull. Not daily life but maybe more interesting, get to an annual village fest (usually in summer). Odds are there will be regional music and dance shows (for example sardanes in French Catalonia), some kind of a sport competition and a party on the main square in the evening. Maybe also a market with local products. As a tourist the folk show might be most interesting event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World