Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,300,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
This sounds so perfectly logical. Does anyone know why the United States of America doesn't do the same? Honestly I think this country would be a lot better if Lady Liberty dropped that lamp and closed the "golden door" unless you were a highly skilled professional.
cheap immigrant labour is good for big business , its also the backbone of the agri economy in the usa , who do you think works on dairy farms in america , poor mexican immigrants , its why the republican party ( the party of rural america ) speaks out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to immigration from mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 AM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
This sounds so perfectly logical. Does anyone know why the United States of America doesn't do the same? Honestly I think this country would be a lot better if Lady Liberty dropped that lamp and closed the "golden door" unless you were a highly skilled professional.
That would go against the inscription that has been on the Statue of Liberty for decades.

Personally, I think that America today is as good as it's ever been in spite of its problems. It's still not as interesting as Europe, but hey at least we're working on getting there.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:07 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That would go against the inscription that has been on the Statue of Liberty for decades.

Personally, I think that America today is as good as it's ever been in spite of its problems. It's still not as interesting as Europe, but hey at least we're working on getting there.
Why isn't the US as interesting as Europe, if you ask me the US better than Europe in a lot of ways.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,350,619 times
Quote:
Well, it's actually far from easy to immigrate legally.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,339,092 times
Quote:
Is there a country out there where:

-To be on welfare, you are required
to work the hours of a regular job if you are physically capable of doing any
kind of beneficial work?

-Crime is so low that even in the big cities,
you don't feel like you must have a security system, or even really good door
locks, in order to have little to no worry about the safety of your
dwelling?

-It's easy to get a well-paying job? (or, put differently,
that ALL jobs are sufficiently well-paying such that someone who does good work
for 40 hours per week will be able to live comfortably without having to be
"hand to mouth", "paycheck to paycheck", etc?)

-"Being who and what you
want to be" is encouraged and rewarded, so long as it doesn't result in
inconvenience or harm to others?

-People actually care about each
other's well being more than they care about the almighty [unit of money]?
(After all, when the Wal-Mart owner family is worth over $100 BILLION
collectively, and so many of their workers can't afford basic necessities that
there are food drives going on at Wal-Mart to help needy Wal-Mart workers,
SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!)

-The prevailing culture is one of RESPECT, for
people such as law enforcement officers, teachers, and most importantly,
PARENTS?

-You CAN immigrate to the country but it's harder to get in
than it is to get into the USA? (As in, they weed out the chaff and only let in
people who give every appearance of being the law-abiding and productive
type?)

-The prevailing opinion of the people is that they DO like and
trust their government?

-Racism is minimal or nonexistent?

-The
country has "its way" of doing things and WILL NOT BEND THE RULES for immigrants
(something America LOVES to do)?
Well, I live smack in the middle of a city of millions, and I rarely lock my door. Never had any problems, unless you count the meter reader who walked in while I was sleeping and scared the crap out of me.
I do think we care about each other, and that's why we have socialized medicine, tax-payer funded mat leave, daycare and higher education. These things should be available to everyone, regardless of ability to pay.
We don't always agree, but I think we have more respect for the government that the people of the US do.
It's very hard to get in, and ironically, won't bend the rules for you. Unless you have special skills we need, you're not getting in.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, I live smack in the middle of a city of millions, and I rarely lock my door. Never had any problems, unless you count the meter reader who walked in while I was sleeping and scared the crap out of me.
I do think we care about each other, and that's why we have socialized medicine, tax-payer funded mat leave, daycare and higher education. These things should be available to everyone, regardless of ability to pay.
We don't always agree, but I think we have more respect for the government that the people of the US do.
It's very hard to get in, and ironically, won't bend the rules for you. Unless you have special skills we need, you're not getting in.
Australia & Canada are very similar... it is very hard to get in here, and we have similar social policies/safety nets.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,860,710 times
In reality it's hard to get in legally here as well. I just wish they'd enforce our laws and deport the illegals when caught like they are supposed to do. And I am not against immigration LEGALLY. My mom came from Norway over 50 years ago and I brought my wife here from Colombia. That was a PIA and a long and expensive waiting process only made easier as I was spending a lot of time in Costa Rica with her while waiting for approval and the interview.

In regards to these other country's that state their immigration is so difficult, could it be that they are not right next door with such a large border to a poor and impoverished 3rd world country with millions of ILLEGALS pouring across the border every year in which case their laws are easily enforced? Curiously, how would the policy's be affected if that were the case? Would they just start turning a blind eye as they do here or would they be able to enforce the existing laws and give them the boot?

I wish they would strictly enforce the laws on the books in this country. Otherwise it's just a slap upside the face to all those doing it correctly and legally!

Old 12-07-2014, 05:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,411,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
In reality it's hard to get in legally here as well. I just wish they'd enforce our laws and deport the illegals when caught like they are supposed to do. And I am not against immigration LEGALLY. My mom came from Norway over 50 years ago and I brought my wife here from Colombia. That was a PIA and a long and expensive waiting process only made easier as I was spending a lot of time in Costa Rica with her while waiting for approval and the interview.

In regards to these other country's that state their immigration is so difficult, could it be that they are not right next door with such a large border to a poor and impoverished 3rd world country with millions of ILLEGALS pouring across the border every year in which case their laws are easily enforced? Curiously, how would the policy's be affected if that were the case? Would they just start turning a blind eye as they do here or would they be able to enforce the existing laws and give them the boot?

I wish they would strictly enforce the laws on the books in this country. Otherwise it's just a slap upside the face to all those doing it correctly and legally!
I agree with some parts of this. As far as deporting all of them, good luck rounding up 11 million people.

Europe is not at all immune to Illegal immigration. Many immigrants from Eastern Europe go illegally to the western countries. Albanians and Roma are among them and they make it up through France and all the way to the UK.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM

376 posts, read 1,867,824 times
Many countries today are facing similar migrant issues. The UK, is a small island that is being swamped with legal and illegal immigration.

As for the OP, you will not find the perfect place. We can list all sorts of stats. It's all about how you perceive things to be. One persons, paradise, might be another's hell.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:26 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,868,436 times
Rather than the USA closing it doors for anyone, all they need to do is stop giving children from *illegal* immigrants, citizenship !!

As far as I know, The USA is the only country where this is possible, correct me if I am wrong !
Some of our children are born in *foreign* (to us) countries (due the the type of work I do) and none of them have dual citizenship !

You stop giving children from *illegal immigrants* citizenship, you may cut in half the amount of illegal immigration ... I think ...

Other than that, one poster called the country the OP was looking for Fantasyland.
I thought it was called LalaLand ...

I doubt if there really is such a country where *all* those *wishes* of the OP are present!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World