Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,652,625 times

Advertisements

I see this

"The police can't protect themselves using deadly force against a rampaging criminal thug without being pilloried by the media (and by connection the barking dog chorus we call the general public) and causing destructive riots to happen."

and this related.

"America has never been as racist as it is now, at least in my recollection. Is it possible that the 1960's were worse? Maybe, but the 2010's are sure worse than the 1990's and 2000's were."

Since it's the hot topic in the US right now. I'm not sure if you link the two in the same way. Think about it if you don't.

and this

"The country has "its way" of doing things and WILL NOT BEND THE RULES for immigrants (something America LOVES to do)?"

might be amusing, depending on your qualifications to enter another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,364,337 times
You may also consider changing your handle, in case immigration digs a little deeper.
Many first world nations are guilty of antiziganism, Canada included.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:42 PM

827 posts, read 635,908 times
No offense but if you are a gypsy, potentially you can be a victim of racism in all european country.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,911,707 times
RomaniGypsy, I don't think you understand how difficult it is to move to a country with strict immigration laws. You need a work visa and an employer to sponsor it. To have any realistic chance of finding a sponsor you need a profession which the country in question is short of. For example, the UK has a shortage of geophysicists, geochemists and geologists in the oil and gas industry. Saying you did some physics and math at college will not get you a visa. You have to have a master's degree in geology etc plus some years of experience in the industry to have any chance at all. Furthermore, work visas are temporary and last no longer than 5 years. There is no guarantee you can stay longer than that.
If you really want to move to another country, you need to be prepared to spend the next several years acquiring the relevant qualifications and experience. You have to prove you are made of the right stuff by so doing.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,363,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
No offense but if you are a gypsy, potentially you can be a victim of racism in all european country.
As long as he isn't faking a decease and begging for money, most people won't care whether he is a Romani or not. Heck, most people wouldn't even recognize him as such.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
dear friend, let us not rewrite history. america has never had anything but trials and tribulations and suspicion of the government.
racial hostility has not ever stopped. it is the inevitable result of people excusing their bad behavior and blaming it on you.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,895,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You are wrong

Jus soli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite a few countries apply the ius soli principle and I guess many Americans have dual citizenship because of that.
OK, I stand corrected !!

If *many* Americans have it, then by all probability one of the parents was once or still is a citizen of that country.

Yes, many Americans IN the USA do have dual citizenship and many of those have acquired it later, when they were born in the USA, and did have at least one parent being a citizen of another country.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,720,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Your personal attack is not appreciated and if you do it again, it will be reported.

If I wasn't serious, I wouldn't be posting.

I'm not looking for a nation of "sheeple". I'm looking for a nation where the people know how to use their brains and think critically, and even still they find that their system of government is good and trustworthy. Everybody has to be governed in some way, and there appear to be only two choices - subjugation under a system you don't like, or agreeable submission to a system you do like. An example of the latter would be "communes", which are essentially micro-societies which do things their own way. I recently investigated the concept and found that often they have their own rules and if you wish to join, you have to be willing to do things their way. The difference is, of course, if you don't like "their way", nobody forces you to join and/or be subjugated under said "way". In your country of residence, you have no choice but to be subjugated by its government and therefore the best situation is to have the majority of the residents be both free-thinking AND supportive of the government. After all, it could be argued that North Koreans like their system of government, but that's only because failure to like it often results in death. That's not my idea of a free-thinking group of people.

Yes, I wanted a tough immigration policy. I want that for the same reason why I like small towns where the good ol' boys look upon newcomers with suspicion until they prove themselves. A country with a tough immigration policy is actively trying to protect "its way" and knows, better than America does (apparently), that failure to do so inevitably results in the watering down of "its way" as the country turns into a cultural melting pot where everybody insists upon being able to do things their way. I would not want to go to a country where I didn't want to do things "their way". I've never had a problem moving into such "small towns" because the people who live there will accept you readily after you prove that you aren't going to try to change "their way".

I suggest that you remain silent after asking a question, rather than assuming that you already know the answer despite being a stranger to me. In so doing you would find my response to be that I know two spoken languages - English and Spanish. The fact that I was able to learn a second language with above-average efficiency means that I can learn a third one if need be.

What skills do I have to offer? I'm college-educated in physics, mathematics and computer science. I have teaching and tutoring experience, both in a public school and on a private basis. I'm a really good entertainer as well. I have zero criminal record, I don't smoke nor use drugs, and I don't even drink that much. I have an IQ provably in the "genius" range and an excellent command of the English language. I've even done network engineering and programming, though I'm not interested in getting back into that. I don't know what sets of skills are needed by the powers that be in various different countries, but I do know that I possess more skills than the average immigrant to America.
Why get so upset and offended about strange people opinion on a public forum, I have seen much worst than this. Just calm down and don't take everything people say on CD to heart. You are going to hear pros and cons and comments that will tick you off, it happens all the time around here. Not trying to justify but just saying, you will be fine.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,789,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I see this

"The police can't protect themselves using deadly force against a rampaging criminal thug without being pilloried by the media (and by connection the barking dog chorus we call the general public) and causing destructive riots to happen."

and this related.

"America has never been as racist as it is now, at least in my recollection. Is it possible that the 1960's were worse? Maybe, but the 2010's are sure worse than the 1990's and 2000's were."

Since it's the hot topic in the US right now. I'm not sure if you link the two in the same way. Think about it if you don't.

and this

"The country has "its way" of doing things and WILL NOT BEND THE RULES for immigrants (something America LOVES to do)?"

might be amusing, depending on your qualifications to enter another country.
Oh, I link the two of them for sure. And I don't expect to find any place that will bend its rules for me. If anything, America's main problem is that it has been bending its rules for immigrants and criminals for decades (especially if they're "ethnic or racial minorities")... so far that nobody knows or even believes that America actually has strict rules for conduct and immigration on its books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You may also consider changing your handle, in case immigration digs a little deeper.
Many first world nations are guilty of antiziganism, Canada included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
I'm 25% Gypsy. Had one grandparent who was 100%. I don't look it, so I doubt that I would be automatically pegged as a Gypsy. Since I'm only 25%, why do I identify with being Romani? Well, I've always been a wanderer and a traveler... ever since age 2, if nobody was watching me, I would wander off. These days I'm constantly traveling, as a musical performer no less. That's being a modern-day Gypsy if ever anything was. The only difference is that I commit no crimes. Apparently Gypsies used to be quite adept at swindling and stealing. I couldn't swindle an Eskimo out of an ice cube.

Quote:
As long as he isn't faking a decease and begging for money, most people won't care whether he is a Romani or not. Heck, most people wouldn't even recognize him as such.
Exactly.

Since I'd never heard the word "antiziganism" before, I looked it up. The Wikipedia article said that Gypsies are frequently despised because their economy is made of theft and begging. Well, I have never intentionally "taken" or "stolen" anything unless it met one of the following two criteria:

1) It belonged to someone who had stolen from me or damaged something of mine (this hasn't been relevant to me since 9th grade)

2) It was offered for free (one time I got yelled at for taking what a waitress believed were too many free ketchup and mustard packets at a restaurant... again, in 9th grade)

And I've never begged, a day in my life. Thus, I doubt that from my lifestyle I would be identified as Gypsy.

The funny thing is that the following was in the article:

"In Bulgaria, Professor Ognian Saparev has written articles stating that 'Gypsies' are culturally inclined towards theft and use their minority status to 'blackmail' the majority."

Gee, now doesn't THAT sound familiar?!?! I think America should do what it can to keep out the people who are culturally inclined toward theft and use their minority status to blackmail the majority! Ask any American with an IQ of 100 or more, who these people are, and >90% of them will give you the exact same freaking answer!! Why America isn't as intolerant of this as other countries appear to be, is astounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Why get so upset and offended about strange people opinion on a public forum, I have seen much worst than this. Just calm down and don't take everything people say on CD to heart. You are going to hear pros and cons and comments that will tick you off, it happens all the time around here. Not trying to justify but just saying, you will be fine.
Sometimes people need to be called out so that they are less inclined to repeat their inappropriate behavior in the future. I don't take things personally, especially when they come from someone who doesn't know me but thinks he/she does. I find that more amusing than anything... but it's still inappropriate. It's like farting at a restaurant. Amusing to many, but inappropriate to just about all.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,364,337 times
Quote:
But will he be allowed into the country?
After some "unpleasantness", Canada slammed the doors shut to Gypsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World