Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the world be better or worse if all people spoke the same language?
Better 19 26.03%
Worse 54 73.97%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 AM

309 posts, read 258,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik Safin View Post
Norwegian 'baby(en)'.
English 'baby'.
German 'Baby'.

Estonian ‘beebi’ – baby.
Finnish ‘vauva’ – baby.
Hungarian ‘baba’ – baby.

French ‘bébé’.
Spanish ‘bebé’.
Portuguese ‘bebê’.
Yes, some words in some languages are similar, so what? I could give you a bunch of words that are totally dissimilar in English and German. That does not mean we should get rid of all languages in favour of a single one (and probably a simplified version of it too, because most people who speak English as a second language, do not master it to the level of understanding poetic language for example). Maybe it would be economically feasible, but do we really as human beings want to measure everything in terms of making money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:47 AM

309 posts, read 258,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Some people actually grow up, and learn to deal with life without partying. They have serious matters to deal with, and do not need frivolous amusements and complications to "make the world better"..
Oh wait, I see some people actually do measure everything in terms of making money.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:11 AM

189 posts, read 222,043 times
Quote:
Norwegian 'baby(en)'.
English 'baby'.
German 'Baby'.

Estonian ‘beebi’ – baby.
Finnish ‘vauva’ – baby.
Hungarian ‘baba’ – baby.

French ‘bébé’.
Spanish ‘bebé’.
Portuguese ‘bebê’.
Here's another words for comparison.

Welsh ‘babi’ – baby.
Irish ‘babaí’ – baby.
Scottish Gaelic ‘baban’ – baby.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times
Would never happen-- that we all would speak only one language. Maybe one day humanity might all "know" a same language, but I believe deep down we have a predilection for forming groups which differentiate from others based upon common local influences, it's an organic, basic expression--to form a distinct community. I think it's a beautiful thing.

Hope I am making sense and I haven't repeated someone else's already posted point.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 PM

189 posts, read 222,043 times
Indo-Aryan languages.

Gujarati બેબ (bēba) – baby.
Marathi बेबे (bēbē) – child, baby.
Hindi बेबी (bēbī) – baby.

Maybe is somebody need to get back to basics?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
I don't get why the world would be so boring - is your stimulation from your native tongue so deathly boring and it's your secondary languages that enliven you? I grant that there is value in the diversity of perspective from the different language structures and that this has influenced cultures.

I would wish for a much more efficient and logical language, alphabet and perhaps numerals. No more 0 o O or i 1 I confusion or perplexing historical convolutions. A clean sheet, modern, constructed language. Esperanto wouldn't be it either - IMHO the alphabet is a compromise. I am critical of diacriticals. :-)

Make the communication process more efficient, reduce the overhead and spend that time and energy on better things. I was going to say something about how the language should be keyboard efficient but will keyboards still be widely-used 30-50 years from now?

People can still have secondary languages - we'd just consider them different kinds of music. :-) I do admire multilingual fluency.

So yes, better.

Last edited by jayway; 05-08-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Which is why I added with Black American idiosyncrasies. Many of the expressions and vocabulary are southern. It's also mostly non rhotic like most southern varieties. Trust me, I have some very "country" family and the differences aren't as big as you may believe.
When I watched the movie Hallelujah(1929) I was very surprised how similar the actors sounded to the so called "Ebonics" since I had also heard before that "Ebonics" was a recent creation.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah!_(film)

Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 AM

338 posts, read 335,122 times
Quote:
Indo-Aryan languages.

Gujarati બેબ (bēba) – baby.
Marathi बेबे (bēbē) – child, baby.
Hindi बेबी (bēbī) – baby.

Maybe is somebody need to get back to basics?
Oh, so now you know about languages in other parts of the world, you didn't seem to do so in the other 21233123.... accounts you posted under before. Stop ****posting buddy, it's against the rules.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The OP said "all humans". I hope he realizes that then all domesticated animals would understand the same language. One needs to account whether that would make the world a better place.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Technically, there is already a universal language, but it hasn't caught on, obviously.

- skbl17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World