Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the world be better or worse if all people spoke the same language?
Better 19 26.03%
Worse 54 73.97%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Most sources disagree with you.
Funny how we can understand them then. You do realise that most of the American/British words are the same, it is only a minority of words that are different.

Because of travelling and American television we know what these words mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Funny how we can understand them then. You do realise that most of the American/British words are the same, it is only a minority of words that are different.

Because of travelling and American television we know what these words mean.
You're just not understanding the usage and the terminology. The phrase is American English, not American language. At no point has anyone in this thread said it was a different language, you're just reading what you want. The way the same language is spoken between the US and UK has differences. That's what's meant by "American English". I cannot believe I must explain this as I would to a child.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM

338 posts, read 334,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
English has no dialects...
Don't make me prove you wrong as I easily can. This post smells of "english is not a "sophisticated" language" stuff. Because there is so much diversity and uniqueness everywhere else.... (Europe)

Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
Don't make me prove you wrong as I easily can. This post smells of "english is not a "sophisticated" language" stuff. Because there is so much diversity and uniqueness everywhere else.... (Europe)
If I go 70km southwards I find an Italian spoken in a different accent, with different verbs, words and constructions and even different pronunciations.
Now find me how on Earth there's such a gap between two English varieties.
Italy alone has probably more dialects and regional variations than the whole Anglophone world combined.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're just not understanding the usage and the terminology. The phrase is American English, not American language. At no point has anyone in this thread said it was a different language, you're just reading what you want. The way the same language is spoken between the US and UK has differences. That's what's meant by "American English". I cannot believe I must explain this as I would to a child.
You don't understand what people are saying, there is simply no such thing as 'American English' not really, it is simply the same language therefore its 'English'. Canadians don't try and claim that the world is speaking 'Canadian English' neither do Australians, New Zealanders or Jamaicans yet the English spoken in the US is not any more different to English than the language spoken in these countries. In fact there are just as many differences between the English spoken in different parts of the UK as there is between the US and 'other' Anglo English speaking nations, there is no such thing as 'Yorkshire English', 'Cornish English', 'Scottish English', 'Mancunian English' etc, it is all simply 'English'.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
In Italy, every region has a pretty distinct dialect/language that can often be unrecognizable to someone coming from another part of the country, grammar rules, words and verbs completely change and i have a difficult time understanding anything.

All of the anglosphere which is formed by quite a few countries there isn't as much linguistical differences as here in Italy or even Germany (i'm not sure of this but that's what i was often told)

Old 05-15-2015, 10:28 AM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
Quote:
If I go 70km southwards I find an Italian spoken in a different accent, with different verbs, words and constructions and even different pronunciations.
Now find me how on Earth there's such a gap between two English varieties.
Italy alone has probably more dialects and regional variations than the whole Anglophone world combined.
The varieties in Italy are different languages, not dialects.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The varieties in Italy are different languages, not dialects.
Dialect is a social term which has no value at all in linguistic.
It's said that a language is "a dialect with an army and a navy" (that means a state-sponsored language).
American English is just a different accent with some different words and a few grammar rules which doesn't hamper any understanding between someone from NY and someone from Edinburgh.
To give you an example, in Italian to say "Give him that" you say "Daglielo", in my dialect it is "Daghelo a elo/ela".
Different words, different declensions, different pronunciations.
There's simply much more variety within Italy than in the Anglophone world (or in France for what it matters).

Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 PM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
Quote:
Dialect is a social term which has no value at all in linguistic.
It's said that a language is "a dialect with an army and a navy" (that means a state-sponsored language).
American English is just a different accent with some different words and a few grammar rules which doesn't hamper any understanding between someone from NY and someone from Edinburgh.
To give you an example, in Italian to say "Give him that" you say "Daglielo", in my dialect it is "Daghelo a elo/ela".
Different words, different declensions, different pronunciations.
There's simply much more variety within Italy than in the Anglophone world (or in France for what it matters).
That is what makes American English a Dialect rather than a Language.

Dialects are distinct, yet mutually comprehensible varieties of the same language. American English has mild differences in grammar and syntax and moderate differences in pronunciation, hence why it's a dialect. In fact, American English has its own sub dialects as well which also differ in grammar, syntax and pronunciation from each other.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
That is what makes American English a Dialect rather than a Language.

Dialects are distinct, yet mutually comprehensible varieties of the same language. American English has mild differences in grammar and syntax and moderate differences in pronunciation, hence why it's a dialect. In fact, American English has its own sub dialects as well which also differ in grammar, syntax and pronunciation from each other.
Dialects do NOT exist from a linguistic point of view, it's just a political construct with no real linguistic meaning.
American English is an accent or a variety of "British" English, but it's not more different than Liverpool English (which sounds way different).
Plus, my dialect is part of the Venetian family, yet hardly a Venetian can understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World