Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 PM

400 posts, read 292,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not American and I can't stand Trump, but perhaps you should go test that out on the ground in both places, and report back to us?

Bonus point if you're female BTW!
I am a female who lives in the middle east and I’m fine thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
I am a female who lives in the middle east and I’m fine thank you very much.
The Middle East is a lot bigger than just Turkey.

I don't have first-hand knowledge of his personal life but it appears that Donald Trump can be a bit of a pig when it comes to his relations with women, but even so he cannot erase 50 or 100 years of progress for women's rights in the United States, which is still more advanced on this front than most any country in the Middle East with only a few exceptions - and even so...

Old 04-24-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Middle East is a lot bigger than just Turkey.

I don't have first-hand knowledge of his personal life but it appears that Donald Trump can be a bit of a pig when it comes to his relations with women, but even so he cannot erase 50 or 100 years of progress for women's rights in the United States, which is still more advanced on this front than most any country in the Middle East with only a few exceptions - and even so...
Firstly, I don’t care about Trump. I still prefer him to Obama or Hillary because at least he seems honest. That’s more important in my book than fake politeness.

Secondly, do you mean US was more advanced in terms of womens rights 100 years ago than the middle eastern countries are now? Countries like Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indonesia have had female leaders. Where is America’s female leader? Or will there ever be one? They were arguing if they should have a woman’s picture on a dollar recently. Something many middle eastern currencies have had for a long time.

Thirdly, women in Turkey were allowed to vote in parliamentary elections much earlier than women in many European countries like France or Italy.

Last edited by Selen; 04-24-2018 at 01:53 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 03:26 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Firstly, I don’t care about Trump. I still prefer him to Obama or Hillary because at least he seems honest. That’s more important in my book than fake politeness.
You are right about fake politeness. The Obamas and the Clintons like to pretend about supporting minorities, immigrants and economically disadvantaged people. Yet, they themselves routinely live in some of the richest, whitest and most exclusive neighborhoods that you will find in America. I heard that the Obamas even have a Wall around their house in Washington DC. lol

That’s the way it is with rich liberals in general. It is all about cognitive dissonance.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You are right about fake politeness. The Obamas and the Clintons like to pretend about supporting minorities, immigrants and economically disadvantaged people. Yet, they themselves routinely live in some of the richest, whitest and most exclusive neighborhoods that you will find in America. I heard that the Obamas even have a Wall around their house in Washington DC. lol

That’s the way it is with rich liberals in general. It is all about cognitive dissonance.
Yes I agree with you.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:

Secondly, do you mean US was more advanced in terms of womens rights 100 years ago than the middle eastern countries are now? Countries like Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indonesia have had female leaders. Where is America’s female leader? Or will there ever be one? They were arguing if they should have a woman’s picture on a dollar recently. Something many middle eastern currencies have had for a long time.

Thirdly, women in Turkey were allowed to vote in parliamentary elections much earlier than women in many European countries like France or Italy.
OK so your country elected Tansu Ciller and at one point (I did not have to look that up BTW) but perhaps you should ask her what she thinks of the situation today? We cannot ask Benazir Bhutto as she was assassinated. Women's rights in Turkey do not appear to be going in the right direction under Erdogan and with the rise of more traditionalist Islam.

Electing women or minorities are a positive sign but they do not always signify that all has been fixed. The Americans elected Barack Obama but if you ask African-Americans about their situation they won't say that solved all of the problems.

That said, I do think Barack Obama and Bill Clinton were better presidents than Donald Trump and George W. Bush. Though as I mentioned, no president of any political stripe can overturn everything that preceded him. We will see what happens with Trump and women's rights like abortion but so far very little has changed in terms of women's rights and it has mostly been about publicity over stupid statements on his part - most from before he ran for president.

And BTW Hilary Clinton did not lose the election because she was a woman. (And more people actually voted for her than for Trump.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World