Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The U.S is a diverse country founded by immigrants from all over the world... along with Canada and Australia.

These three nations should take a good chunk in and let Europe and Japan do whatever they want, even if that means taking the Trump route (which is already facing legal issues in the U.S)
The immigrants these three nations took in the past are extremely different than the refugees of today from Syria. Europe can keep every single one of them. Hopefully the US remembers who was hidden within the Russian Jews in the 70's. NY's crime rate spiked up and the Russian Mafia was born in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Japan won't take them because a) it's already very crowded, more so than any European country as it's very mountainous and b) Japanese people are xenophobic and racist.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,287,482 times
[quote=Pruzhany;47096955]The immigrants these three nations took in the past are extremely different than the refugees of today from Syria. Europe can keep every single one of them. Hopefully the US remembers who was hidden within the Russian Jews in the 70's. NY's crime rate spiked up and the Russian Mafia was born in the US.[/QUOTE

the american invasion of iraq and more recent intervention in syria caused this mess , " you break it , you own it "

Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

the american invasion of iraq and more recent intervention in syria caused this mess , " you break it , you own it "
Yet there was no Iraqi refugee issue. Syria was not a mess caused by US, the US didn't break Syria thus the US has nothing to own there. The US could leave Syria today and nothing would change. Syria is a proxy of Iran. Russia wants to stick it's nose there, lest them. The EU wants to stick their not there, let them.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:29 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think refugees from the Middle East want to go to Japan, if they have a chance to go to Western countries.

Although Muslims and Christians have been hostile to each other for a thousand years, these People of the Book know something about each other, at least.

Not to mention that there are many Christians in those countries and that Middle East was the cradle of Christianism. I would take Christians first, Lebanese, Palestine, Egyptian and Syrian Christians have a good record of assimilation in both Americas. Steve Job's parents were Syrian, Carlos Slim is Lebanese.

Europe's population is falling fast and countries will needs immigrants if not, nobody will pay retirement pensions and the countryside will become deserted. I would not mind Middle East christians, they are the main ethnic stock in Italy, also important in France and Germany and they have been here during the last 2000 years.

They have been part of civilization during millenia before many new European countries.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You call bombing and creating a war in a country that never asked for help and that never attacked the US (Iraq) 'helping?'

That's a strange way of helping.
You do understand the history of Iraq before 2002, right? You are writing as though it was the land of peace, love and happiness. A place that had excellent relations with its neighbors and a place that only wanted to be best buddies with with the West. Saddam Hussein was such a benevolent being. Also, what did Iraq have to do with the start of Syria's civil war? Seems to me that it was a product of the Arab Spring (which itself has been deemed a product of America's "do nothing policy"), but let's blame the US for Syria anyway. It's always in vogue.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...policy/409537/

Japan would prefer to die pure than to integrate others into their culture. Just the way it is.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I am not even white but I am tired of Europe and the US always getting heat for not accepting refugees or immigrants while countries like Japan usually don't get called out for not accepting them either. I mean I know that the US and Europe played a role in what is going on in the Middle East and these countries colonized other parts of the world but Japan was also a colonizing power throughout Eastern Asia. If they are not accepting refugees, can't Japan at least take in immigrants from these former colonies just like England, France, and Holland take in immigrants from their former colonies?

Also the prime minister of Japan said that the falling birth rate is a problem in Japan that needs to be addressed before accepting refugees but won't accepting them help with that in the first place?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-refugees-in
I always find it annoying that Japan gets signaled out, which isn't even a refugee country, and is extremely far removed from the Middle East itself.

Why not put pressure for Saudi Arabia, for example, to open their doors? Or most of its neighbors? Or random places in Asia? India or China perhaps which already have a billion people each, could take refugees? Or the large nation of Brazil perhaps that is an immigration nation?

Instead, it is always North America, Europe...and then completely RANDOMLY some assumption or guilt trip on JAPAN of all places...completely glossing over the rest of the world.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I always find it annoying that Japan gets signaled out, which isn't even a refugee country, and is extremely far removed from the Middle East itself.

Why not put pressure for Saudi Arabia, for example, to open their doors? Or most of its neighbors? Or random places in Asia? India or China perhaps which already have a billion people each, could take refugees? Or the large nation of Brazil perhaps that is an immigration nation?

Instead, it is always North America, Europe...and then completely RANDOMLY some assumption or guilt trip on JAPAN of all places...completely glossing over the rest of the world.
China and India both took much more refugees than Japan.
Japan is a developed country and has much fewer poor people.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You do understand the history of Iraq before 2002, right? You are writing as though it was the land of peace, love and happiness. A place that had excellent relations with its neighbors and a place that only wanted to be best buddies with with the West. Saddam Hussein was such a benevolent being. Also, what did Iraq have to do with the start of Syria's civil war? Seems to me that it was a product of the Arab Spring (which itself has been deemed a product of America's "do nothing policy"), but let's blame the US for Syria anyway. It's always in vogue.

[URL]https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/10/middle-east-egypt-us-policy/409537/[/URL]

Japan would prefer to die pure than to integrate others into their culture. Just the way it is.
I do know the history of the region, which is why I was 100% against that war when it happened. The country was being held together like glue, even if by a dictator. There are many factions (obviously) that would break apart, splinter, and this would create chaos and political instability. It was predicted by scholars back in 2003 that the war and its effects would become a perfect breeding ground for Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, and that is exactly what happened.

The strategy of groups like ISIS is to take advantage of political instability, they did so in Iraq and also with the political uprising in Syria. Groups like ISIS have strategized to enter during distress, wreak more havoc by bombing and terrorizing civilians, then take control of regions. They have been quite successful. They use their 'religious war' as an excuse but in reality they want full control of the region.

Try to sugarcoat it all you want, the Iraq war was a poor decision.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Brazil has taken in refugees. Last time I was in Rio the place I stayed at was run by a Syrian refugee and he had other Syrians staying there.

At this moment, I don't think they can bring more people in. Brazilians are struggling economically and very unhappy with their government. They just impeached a President and people are very demanding of their government at the moment.

But now that I think about it, if countries like Brazil, India and even Mexico can take in some refugees, Japan should too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World