Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Why would you consider this a shortcoming?
Because I'm interested in history and old structures, as are many people. If you want proof look at the large crowds who gather to see the Coliseum in Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Because I'm interested in history and old structures, as are many people. If you want proof look at the large crowds who gather to see the Coliseum in Rome.
This still doesn't explain why the US being vast and diverse is a short coming.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
I don't see how someone can hate a whole country.
I'm totally agreed here, and by defending the US some would think me a booster. But I don't there is any country in the world that is truly somewhere to hate. All have some good points in addition to negatives.

It would be hard to hate the U.S. because of its sheer diversity. Cities like New York and San Francisco to smaller ones like Santa Fe, Charleston, Savannah, Santa Barbara. Like nowhere else.

And the geographic diversity--Niagara Falls, East Coast/Florida beaches, the huge Mississippi, the desert southwest and Grand Canyon, the California and Oregon coasts, Alaska.
And the variety of food--very good if you know where to go.
And the friendly people.

I could go on but it seems unfathomable that someone would conclude that it is somewhere to hate.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Anyone who literally hates an entire country, especially one as heterogenous in so many categories as the US, is either being intellectually dishonest, or is small minded.

There are plenty of things to reasonably dislike, or even hate, about the US, but an unqualified expression of "I hate the USA" is unlikely to come from anyone with much real life experience much less anyone worth listening to.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Oh, you split the sentence in terms of modifiers- now I understand what you meant. Our history does only go back to roughly the 1500s (if you ignore the American Indians who immigrated from Asia).

Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Anyone who literally hates an entire country, especially one as heterogenous in so many categories as the US, is either being intellectually dishonest, or is small minded.
People who say that usually do so because they hate American politics, its meddling in other country's affairs or the shallowness of Hollywood, or something similar.

Personally, I never heard anyone hate the U.S. after visiting it. Okay, maybe once, but the person was a diehard communist.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Oh, you split the sentence in terms of modifiers- now I understand what you meant. Our history does only go back to about the 1500s (if you ignore the Americans Indians who immigrated from Asia).
Yeah, I can see why you were confused. Should have worded it better.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
This still doesn't explain why the US being vast and diverse is a short coming.
I don't, I worded it wrong and I can no longer edit the sentence. Vast and diverse is a positive, the lack of a long history was the negative.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
I don't, I worded it wrong and I can no longer edit the sentence. Vast and diverse is a positive, the lack of a long history was the negative.
I think your perception is wrong. If a country lacks a specific quality say "old historical ruins" that isn't a negative, its just not a positive for that particular item. The Netherlands isn't a bad or uninteresting place just because it doesn't have a Grand Canyon. I just wouldn't go there for their outdoor activities. I would go there and appreciate what makes the Netherlands interesting as oppose to building a check list of items then rating a place negative just because it doesn't have everything I want.

On a side note people have been living here for thousands of years long before Europeans should up. So there is ancient history here, it may not be to your interest but it does exist.

See Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde as an example

Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I think your perception is wrong. If a country lacks a specific quality say "old historical ruins" that isn't a negative, its just not a positive for that particular item. The Netherlands isn't a bad or uninteresting place just because it doesn't have a Grand Canyon. I just wouldn't go there for their outdoor activities. I would go there and appreciate what makes the Netherlands interesting as oppose to building a check list of items then rating a place negative just because it doesn't have everything I want.

On a side note people have been living here for thousands of years long before Europeans should up. So there is ancient history here, it may not be to your interest but it does exist.

See Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde as an example
So we're allowed to say positive things about a place, but negatives are forbidden?

Technically history is the record of recorded events. The natives had no writing system, therefore the USA's recorded history began when the Europeans arrived. And somewhere like Cliff Palace, although very interesting. Hardly compares with what can be found throughout the rest of the world. Even in Mexico.

For example, although in the UK we have Stonehenge, it is considered prehistory since all we have to go by is archaeology and speculation. Technically our history began when Julius Caesar invaded the island in 55BC and recorded what happened.

Last edited by Razza94; 06-21-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World