Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you support?
Palestine 58 28.16%
Israel 148 71.84%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 07:13 AM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times

Advertisements

Given the choice between Palestine and Israel, for a long time I was indifferent as a way to not take sides on this messy controversy. Plus, through the years I made friendships with several Arabs from various countries (Christians and Muslims) and with a few Israelis and Jews. Then I slightly supported Israel on the basis that it has created the most economically successful society ever seen on that land in such a short time. Then this has me supporting Israel all the way.

You see, the current ambassador of Israel to the Dominican Republic (Daniel Biran Bayor) is coming to an end. You might say there is always an end to every ambassadorship in every country. True enough. He has said he has great admiration for the DR, something I took rather serious from him considering that isn't much heard from any ambassador. This week he went to a Dominican TV show which is basically a commentary and interview type of show owned by Julio Hazim, the old guy seen there, a Dominican of Lebanese descent (the Christian type, not the Muslim types who are most of the Lebanese nowadays). He has always given a pro-Arab stance and brought more than typical Dominican-Arabs to the show as a way to promote them due in no small part to his Arab ancestry, but invited the Israeli ambassador anyway. Truly impressive. I noticed this:

https://youtu.be/QRQqafGkZQ4ç

He talks in that interview (in Spanish) of Israel, the Isreali-Arab conflict, of the admiration he has for the DR, etc. Great, but look at that pin. I have seen ambassadors from many countries attending Dominican TV programs and when a few wore flag pins it never had more than one flag, that of their country. The Israeli ambassador has a pin of two flags, that of Israel and that of the Dominican Republic. That folks made my support of Israel to go all the way. The guy has said he has an admiration for the DR and that he will return to the DR very soon after returning to Israel once his ambassadorship ends, but he's not saying it, he's also showing it in many ways including with something so subtle as a pin.

It should also be noted that it seems he's wearing a guayabera shirt, which is also native of Latin America (several Latin American countries claim it was invented on their shores, the DR being one of them. Where in Larin America it was invented, there are several Dominican designers that have a line of guayaberas of their own creation.) If this is so and the guayabera he is wearing is of Dominican origin, that's another point in favor of Israel in my book.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-15-2023 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: t it seems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 09:16 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times
I'm generally a progressive but I cringe whenever I see progressives in the West support Palestine - a state that's against every single progressive value. Israel isn't perfect, but it's at very least a successful democracy (though I'm not sure how long that's going to last) and is LGBT friendly.

If you want to support the underdog/victim, you should support Taiwan. You literally won't find a more perfect victim on this planet.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

If you want to support the underdog/victim, you should support Taiwan. You literally won't find a more perfect victim on this planet.
I don’t see Taiwan as victim (underdog? Absolutely.) but I support Taiwan 10000000000000%.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I don’t see Taiwan as victim (underdog? Absolutely.) but I support Taiwan 10000000000000%.
Merci. But of course we are victims. We just don't whine about it and go about things pragmatically.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
Two factions of people believe Their God gave it all to Them. As long as this irrational and illogical factionalism persists, the followers will persist.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:35 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
I'm generally a progressive but I cringe whenever I see progressives in the West support Palestine - a state that's against every single progressive value. Israel isn't perfect, but it's at very least a successful democracy (though I'm not sure how long that's going to last) and is LGBT friendly.

Israel is a democracy with Judaism privileged. Pakistan is a Democracy with Islam privileged. Can a country that is not secular be a true democracy? How successful a democracy can it be if it's judiciary is compromised?

The West does not always have progressive values. US still has capital punishment, and allows states to impose restrictions on abortion. Many progressive countries have banned capital punishment and have unrestricted rights to abortion.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:38 PM

1,858 posts, read 798,204 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqLBbko0OU

Old 06-18-2023, 11:00 AM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Two factions of people believe Their God gave it all to Them. As long as this irrational and illogical factionalism persists, the followers will persist.
The other option is to take a more atheist-like approach. That is no one gave the land either group and everything is decided by fighting for the land and who wins the fight. Well, despite loosing, the Palestinians don't agree with the results which, according to them, belongs to the Palestinians and that's that.

As long that both think it belongs to them and not to the other group persist, the followers will persist.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Israel is a democracy with Judaism privileged. Pakistan is a Democracy with Islam privileged. Can a country that is not secular be a true democracy? How successful a democracy can it be if it's judiciary is compromised?

The West does not always have progressive values. US still has capital punishment, and allows states to impose restrictions on abortion. Many progressive countries have banned capital punishment and have unrestricted rights to abortion.
Lmao @ calling Palestine a democracy.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:05 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Lmao @ calling Palestine a democracy.
Too bad you cant read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World