Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times

Advertisements

Not if you have a trade certification in a shortage area. Last time I checked the UK had a shortage of high integrity pipe welders and high voltage overhead line repairmen. So you are welcome if you happen to have what they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

400 posts, read 422,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari616 View Post
To all the people on here that say that it is easy to get into Canada it is not. I know, I've looked thoroughly. Say you want to study there well, you have to have a large amount of money to support yourself and pay your tuition and bills WITHOUT the need of a job. That isn't far? Because not everybody is rich. Also they say you can not cross the border with more than $10,000 then you have to exchange it at a bank for Canadian money. And if you do get in, you have to make a list of EVERYTHING YOUR BRINGING! For example: 1 blue tank top, then you have to put the cost or close to it.

There is just a lot of things you have to do, and its gonna cost a LOT. I'm not kidding. The only people that could get into Canada are people with career already and have lots of money.

Yeah...our corrupt government just wants the rich to pump money into the only vibrant sector of our economy; Condo construction and printing money to support the real estate market.

Canada is passe...get to Australia asap. That country is exposed to Asia far more than we are, and their weather is excellent too. When (not if) the USA crumbles, we'll be sideswiped by the fallout. I'm looking to bail from this frozen tundra as soon as my personal situation permits.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
This thread has so much misinformation in it. Several pages of people saying "CANADA!" just because of it's location and they speak English. Anyone in the US wanting to move to Canada thinking it will be easy is in for a big shock.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
This thread has so much misinformation in it. Several pages of people saying "CANADA!" just because of it's location and they speak English. Anyone in the US wanting to move to Canada thinking it will be easy is in for a big shock.
^ yes.

It's actually quite easy for Americans to move to China.

1. Find a job over the internet. This is pretty easy to do if you're willing (or want to) teach English. If you work in any other field, you can also likely find some work... or, just go to teach English and network.
2. Interview for job over Skype.
3. Get invitation letter. This will likely be for an "M" or "Z" visa.
4. Either take the invitation letter to an agent (which you can find easily online), or if you're in a city with a Chinese consulate (LA, SF, NYC, DC, Chicago, etc) make an appointment to turn it and the appropriate visa paperwork in, along with your passport.
5. Wait a few days.
6. Receive your passport along with your new visa.
7. Buy a ticket to China.
8. Someone from your new job will likely meet you at the airport and deliver you straight to whatever accommodation they are providing you. Most places will provide Westerners with "Western style" (read: modern) accommodations.
9. Start working and making 3-10x the national average per month.
10. ... PROFIT!! Obviously.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I always tell people. Canada wants refugees, doctors and millionaires, not "Average Joes" immigrating there.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
If I was forced to leave the US, I'd want to go to Australia.

Canada is too cold and is too similar to the US.
England was would be nice as well, but again the weather is not so amazing.

I have no desire to immigrate, but if I had to...then I'd be vying for Oz.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 980 times
Getting a visa to Australia might be easy. I am a citizen have lived here most my life except four an a half years in the U.S. from Melbourne. The economy is not so good at the moment. I have been of out of work two years. I have over fifteen years work experience and qualifications am now completing my bachelors degree.There are so many internationals here with visas that can't get jobs. So think twice about it. Australia has nice weather but that's about it. I lived in New York for two years and was getting work, but was just scrapping by.With my bachelors degree hoping to go back and try my luck again,i have greencard through marriage. Working in the U.S New York may be tough, but at least life is exciting, can't say that about living in Australia.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:16 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
They are not as stringent if you want to come and work but if you have any aspirations to stay a long time (or become a citizen), forget it. Nonetheless, they have a huge demand for skilled workers - that is why 1 out of every 7 people there is not Swiss.
How hard is it for an American Physician to follow the Swiss laws and legally work and live in Switzerland? Do Swiss folks in general understand English ?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaga bond View Post
For the short term, and with a college degree and not a lot of experience in a field, I'd say Japan, Korea, China, and Thailand, teaching English. Japan is the safest choice, the others I hear complaints from ESL teachers all the time. However, very few Japanese understand English, perhaps the least in developed Asia.

Best bet for countries like the US with many English speakers would be Canada and Australia. Canada if you want to be closer to family/friends, Australia if you want better weather.

In Europe, perhaps the northern European countries, but you will definitely need a plan. I personally think Sweden is the best bet overall. It may be easier in eastern European countries, perhaps teaching English, but many are not doing well economically and have crime, drug, and gang problems. Teaching English in France may be an option as well, but I hear you have to fight quite hard to find other work as they almost always favor French citizens and you need to be fluent in French.
I have heard the general work environment in Japan is so demanding that you apologize from your work mates for taking your legal vacations - and there is hardly any concept of a sick day off.

Japan, I think, has the highest population ratio of elederly/retired people, which has caused an upside down pyramid shaped economy where the least number of young people have to work super extra hard to sustain the highest percentage of againg population/retirees.

Dating is also minimum since folks can't keep up with the work comittment - onanism is the way for many males.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Japan also has the highest rate of death at work place.
People just never get to go home I guess. It's just work, work and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World