Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
For the short term, and with a college degree and not a lot of experience in a field, I'd say Japan, Korea, China, and Thailand, teaching English. Japan is the safest choice, the others I hear complaints from ESL teachers all the time. However, very few Japanese understand English, perhaps the least in developed Asia.

Best bet for countries like the US with many English speakers would be Canada and Australia. Canada if you want to be closer to family/friends, Australia if you want better weather.

In Europe, perhaps the northern European countries, but you will definitely need a plan. I personally think Sweden is the best bet overall. It may be easier in eastern European countries, perhaps teaching English, but many are not doing well economically and have crime, drug, and gang problems. Teaching English in France may be an option as well, but I hear you have to fight quite hard to find other work as they almost always favor French citizens and you need to be fluent in French.
I would watch with Japan that if you want to do ESL that you do your research and go with a reputable organization as there are many fly by night types. An associate of mine royally got screwed over and it cost him a fortune and he had to come home early due to the company he signed up with. So do your homework on that one.

One good option for teaching English that I have heard positives about is the Czech Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
just a reminder

Ten Facts About Tax Expatriation - Forbes.com

Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
All the research I've done to this point shows that Canada is one of the "easier" countries for a US citizen like myself to move to and work. Canada is an interesting case because they admit people based on a points system. The more points you get the better your chances. My uncle tried to get us into Canada years ago but he was unsuccessful unfortunately I wish he had been able to do it. Regarding the UK you have to remember that it is part of the EU countries and it is much harder for a US citizen to get into.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,689 times
I've lived in NY all my life. I hate it. I'm thinking of moving to Canada, cause I've visited both the east and west and liked it a lot. I'm also thinking of looking into dual citizenship for Italy because both sides of my grandparents came from there as well as my father, who came here as a young boy. How difficult would it be to do that without A LOT of red tape?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
I don't think Europeans would be willing to hire Americans, maybe besides the British and Irish, unless you speak the language...

Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Most europeans really do not care if you are Irish, British or American. At least in my experience....

Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Most europeans really do not care if you are Irish, British or American. At least in my experience....
Yes, as long as you can speak fluent language, at least in Poland...

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM

26 posts, read 83,850 times
I cannot understand how anyone can say Canada...there is a very specific List of Careers (you can google it) That Canada is willing to allow in and if your career is not on this list you are Out of Luck. You can apply to move there but there is a long wait. If your career IS on the list there is a long wait to get in, often quite a few years...UNLESS....you are recruited by a specific company that is willing to expedite your paperwork to get you there...or I believe if you will be attending University there majoring in careers on that needed careers list!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
South Korea would be the EASIEST....if you have a college degree, you can teach there easily. CHINA would be even easier, as I don't think they even require a college degree to teach English there, same goes with most of Southeast Asia.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,284 times
Default Boomer asking for HELP!

Being almost 60, with nothing in retirement and talk of social security being lost, what are MY chances of moving to another country and making the rest of my life somewhat successful? I worked for 25 years as a nurse following my husband around this country making a name for himself in the pharmaceutical industry. He got fired for sexual harrassment, we lost everything and are now divorced, leaving me with zilch!! I have no medical ins, much less any other ins, can't afford it. I can't work as a nurse anymore but could work doing something else...where do I move? What direction do I have the best chance? Staying here, the only alternative is suicide. Please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World