Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 AM

174 posts, read 516,939 times

Advertisements

"Dude, I mean, dude, I never hear such things dude"

Where did the word, "dude" come from anyway?

The Mexicans have a similar word, "Guey" - it literally means "ox" (or so I'm told).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
May I add another? The spelling of no one is not noone. Okay, done again.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:15 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Did you notice Michael Phelps has a 23 year old lisp when he talks,
Did you notice the clip on Michael Phelps that explained he had severe ADD and his teachers never thought he would be able to concentrate enough to succeed in life? At that point I would believe a lisp would be the least of any mother's worry... isn't it wonderful for him he is so succesful in his career and proved everyone wrong?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
To be honest with you, here in England those expressions you listed get used very often as well. I agree with you though, they do begin to wear thin after a while.
Interesting, I never heard a English person repeat "like" "you know" and the others to the insane point of Americans do.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM

372 posts, read 849,549 times
If the point of vocabulary is to aide in effective communication, does it really matter what words, errors, lisps, catch phrases, etc are used as long as the meaning is conveyed?

Language is a way for the masses to convey meaning... Aside from poets, writers, musicians and orators it's not used as an art form by the general public. Arguing over the small details of everyday conversation is like criticizing a laborer's brush stroke while they paint a house from an artist's point of view. Nobody gives a hoot as long as the house gets painted.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
If the point of vocabulary is to aide in effective communication, does it really matter what words, errors, lisps, catch phrases, etc are used as long as the meaning is conveyed?

Language is a way for the masses to convey meaning... Aside from poets, writers, musicians and orators it's not used as an art form by the general public. Arguing over the small details of everyday conversation is like criticizing a laborer's brush stroke while they paint a house from an artist's point of view. Nobody gives a hoot as long as the house gets painted.
Nope, poor use of the English language will never be accepted for many jobs that involve commutation also.
Whens the last time you heard a news broadcaster used repetitively the abused words above and keep his job?
Getting your point across with excessive use of such words is insane and is evidence of poor understanding of the English language, like you know dude?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 AM

That's exactly my point. You're talking about someone that is paid to speak... not "average joe" talking to his buddy about the woman he saw at the bar the night before. The news anchor is hired because of his public speaking and appearance skills.

I've also never seen an NBA star that was under 6' tall with a beer bell, but that doesn't mean it's not acceptable for the masses.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
That's exactly my point. You're talking about someone that is paid to speak... not "average joe" talking to his buddy about the woman he saw at the bar the night before. The news anchor is hired because of his public speaking and appearance skills.

I've also never seen an NBA star that was under 6' tall with a beer bell, but that doesn't mean it's not acceptable for the masses.
You don't need to be paid to speak correctly not to mention average joe using an addition to the above words the F word in between every other word also.
More of a bad habit over taking time to think about your choice of words that are not needed to fill the conversation anyway.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Oh yes, I love how every month or so someone comes on here and is a self proclaimed language expert.

It is your and only your opinion that those wrods are useless and are not part of an intelligent conversation.

I suspect you do not know any other languages as you would understand there are many words and rules in English that are not required for communicating, which all in all, that is the only purpose of language.

All languages except for Latin are constantly changing, that is the way they are and thats the way they always will be. English now is not the same 100 years ago and will not be the same 100 years from now, get over it.

Be careful my friend, your on the edge of a personal attack here

Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
You don't need to be paid to speak correctly not to mention average joe using an addition to the above words the F word in between every other word also.
More of a bad habit over taking time to think about your choice of words that are not needed to fill the conversation anyway.
Perhaps I'm not effectively conveying my thought process, and I should refer to latest edition of Elements of Style. My point is that just because you deem one way of speaking or writing as "correct", doesn't mean that everybody should share in your methodology. If the purpose of spoken language is only to convey a meaning, then it makes no difference how you do it.

If I'm talking with a friend casually, and he throws out a series of double negatives while ending his sentence in a preposition, I'm not going to call him out if my human mind was able to interpret his intended meaning. I may ask for clarification if I didn't understand something, but by the end of the conversation his meaning is conveyed. Conversations don't exist in only words, rather in a situational context. Somebody can be verbally telling me one thing while their body language is saying the absolute opposite, and the meaning can still be interpreted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing