Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,648,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's another one. Impact as a substitute for Affect. As in "That impacted our planning."

And, of course, we all know about the difference between Affect and Effect.
Well, with affect and effect, at least part of the problem is that we teach the differences between them in ways that are, at best, ineffective, and at worst and more often, just wrong.

"Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

Except, of course, affect can be a noun and effect can be a verb.

Perhaps if we can effect a change in how they are taught, our affect about the state of the language will improve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,273,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
My question was sincere. I wondered whether you felt my use of the word was appropriate. The sentiment I expressed in my sample sentence was also sincere - both as directed at others and directed at myself. And my sense that irony is one part of the family of incongruity was sincere, as well. Not everything that is incongruous is ironic, but everything that is ironic (under definition 3, at least) is incongruous.

Finally, my sample sentence, while sincere, was chosen for being snide, given that this thread's origins and much of its critical content find fault with others, while often erring in the very sentences in which the complaints are made. (And my parenthetical closing was intended to note that I, too, am guilty of such things. I am both pointing out the incongruity (or irony), and pleading guilty to the same.)
Ah. Sorry about that. This thread had gotten so hostile (Over grammar, no less), that I misinterpreted.

Back to the interesting discussion we're having. I tend to reject the substitute of ironic for incongruous, because it's a more recent construction. It's also not very precise.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Well, with affect and effect, at least part of the problem is that we teach the differences between them in ways that are, at best, ineffective, and at worst and more often, just wrong.

"Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

Except, of course, affect can be a noun and effect can be a verb.

Perhaps if we can effect a change in how they are taught, our affect about the state of the language will improve!
Of course, the ultimate irony here is that the use of effect as a verb is really affected. The fact that the usage in question seems to be mostly that of social scientists and politicians should tell you everything you need to know.

Oh, let's take Oceania's lead and reduce the language to 1,000 words.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Ah. Sorry about that. This thread had gotten so hostile (Over grammar, no less), that I misinterpreted.

Back to the interesting discussion we're having. I tend to reject the substitute of ironic for incongruous, because it's a more recent construction. It's also not very precise.
I am less sure of the recentness of the construction than you are, and if you have a source for that, I would love to see it! (Conversely, if I find either one that affirms your sense or disproves it, I will share.)

I am, personally, very fond of Fowler's breakdown of terms of humor from 1926's Modern English Usage"
Online Etymology Dictionary

Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,443,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
You don't need to be paid to speak correctly not to mention average joe using an addition to the above words the F word in between every other word also.
More of a bad habit over taking time to think about your choice of words that are not needed to fill the conversation anyway.
You would probably freak if I told you not every job requires a person to speak well and many jobs require very abbreviated speaking and writing.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Of course, the ultimate irony here is that the use of effect as a verb is really affected. The fact that the usage in question seems to be mostly that of social scientists and politicians should tell you everything you need to know.

Oh, let's take Oceania's lead and reduce the language to 1,000 words.
*smiles*

Only if I get to choose the 1,000!

That could be a fun exercise for students, though. Hmm... I'm teaching a science fiction class this fall! I wonder if I can sneak it into that as an exercise.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:58 PM

423 posts, read 1,534,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You would probably freak if I told you not every job requires a person to speak well and many jobs require very abbreviated speaking and writing.
When I was a Ironworker there was only one word (F) you had to know and use it in different fluctuations and get by, no wonder I gave it up.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Man, can you two give it a rest?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,285,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
I mean, like, you know, really, well....whatever.
I totally understand, dude.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,264,868 times
Get this thread back on topic and drop the hostility or it will be closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing