Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,807,855 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'll give my prospective on this issue because of it's being kinda a more unique prospective.

Well, anyways........ supposably a lot of people say that "loose", which means to knot win, is suppose to be spelled "lose", but, just between you and I, I would of thought that "lose" is pronounced like "lows", like the movie theater chain. I guess for all intensive purposes they just want to make sure they're spelling it right, but it's redeculous, also to, because their just trying to spell it like it sounds.

I guess this just effects me to ware I can bearly except it, but it's a bigger percent of people who do this more then people who do'nt. And don't get two offensive by me, I am not trying to infer that every-one should have a flare for good English, but some times it gives me a head-ache and makes me wanna just go lay down.

That said, its a free country, so I should of just lived and let live, even if my brother and sister-in-laws say this kinda stuff, life's too short, just gotta take one for the team, let it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:41 PM

687 posts, read 2,132,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Walla" or other in place of "voilà."
I have a friend who says "viola!"

Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You're (not your ) dating yourself, today's high school grads can't understand and fill out a job application at McDonalds.
Can't date yourself unless you're schizophrenic

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's one that doesn't get nearly as much consideration as it should: perfect. Very few things in life are perfect, but people throw that word around an awful lot!
I have to disagree with this one. I know my son is not perfect, but he is perfect for me .

"Perfection" is a valuation, and implies the involvement of an evaluator, as well as the object being evaluated. Depending on the perspective of the evaluator, the valuation of the object may vary.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I just learned something new.

Mine is "prostrate gland".
Yep, I see a lot of "prostrate glands" in my field -- pubic health!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
I have to disagree with this one. I know my son is not perfect, but he is perfect for me .

"Perfection" is a valuation, and implies the involvement of an evaluator, as well as the object being evaluated. Depending on the perspective of the evaluator, the valuation of the object may vary.
When my daughter was a little girl, she always said, "this is perftick!" She doesn't say it anymore, but I still do!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
I predict that the next upcoming overused phrase will be "death by a thousand cuts". Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one over the past month.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,157,659 times
I had a friend who used to say, I feel like drinking myself into the state of Bolivia.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,894,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
When one writes "preventative" (e.g. "preventative maintenance") when what is meant is "preventive."
"Preventative" is a word in standard English and is roughly synonymous with "preventive." Are you saying you thought it was incorrect, or just that you don't like the sound of it? It is not incorrect.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,894,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"help but" drives me nuts, too. "I couldn't help but think" instead of "I couldn't help thinking."
Both are correct. The first form is the modal form using the infinitive. You may not like the way it sounds, but I don't believe it is incorrect. Is there an English grammar expert here who can weigh in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing