Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,323,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Both are correct. The first form is the modal form using the infinitive. You may not like the way it sounds, but I don't believe it is incorrect. Is there an English grammar expert here who can weigh in?
Wasn't just that I didn't like the sound of it. My very strict secretarial school English teacher told us it was wrong...but she likely no longer walks this earthly realm. It could be acceptable now. I am going to see what I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Both are correct. The first form is the modal form using the infinitive. You may not like the way it sounds, but I don't believe it is incorrect. Is there an English grammar expert here who can weigh in?
Found these. One calls it non-standard, the next two say it's illogical but acknowledges it has been in use for a while and probably isn't going away.

Can't Help But

Lynch, Guide to Grammar and Style — C

Can’t Help But Cringe at This Construction « Everything Language and Grammar

I will stick with the more standard form. In that secretarial school, we were grilled on the rules of grammar--one error could make your letter "unmailable". Language changes through usage, though, and I've already lost on another hated misusage: using "loan" as a verb, as in "He's going to loan me money" instead of "He's going to lend me money." Loan as a verb has become acceptable usage, apparently.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,894,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Found these. One calls it non-standard, the next two say it's illogical but acknowledges it has been in use for a while and probably isn't going away.

Can't Help But

Lynch, Guide to Grammar and Style — C

Can’t Help But Cringe at This Construction « Everything Language and Grammar

I will stick with the more standard form. In that secretarial school, we were grilled on the rules of grammar--one error could make your letter "unmailable". Language changes through usage, though, and I've already lost on another hated misusage: using "loan" as a verb, as in "He's going to loan me money" instead of "He's going to lend me money." Loan as a verb has become acceptable usage, apparently.
Well, I'm with you in that I don't like having to accept something just because it has come into common usage. My bugaboo is "impact" as a verb: "The new budget will impact all employees." AGH! It should be "The new budget will have an impact on all employees." Another one is "gift" as a verb, as in "the deceased gifted his estate to his child."

Makes me want to scream.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm with you in that I don't like having to accept something just because it has come into common usage. My bugaboo is "impact" as a verb: "The new budget will impact all employees." AGH! It should be "The new budget will have an impact on all employees." Another one is "gift" as a verb, as in "the deceased gifted his estate to his child."

Makes me want to scream.
I hate "gifted" and "gifting" also, and I think I already said that on this thread, but it makes me feel good to say it again!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 AM

5,873 posts, read 11,972,803 times
Quote:

Makes me want to scream.
I work with a large corporate group that has a terrible propensity to turn nouns into verbs. The two that make me cringe the most are "We need to solution that" and "Wait until I receipt it in the computer before you take it". You cannot convince them these two words are not verbs.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Quote:
"Preventative" is a word in standard English and is roughly synonymous with "preventive." Are you saying you thought it was incorrect, or just that you don't like the sound of it? It is not incorrect.
I think it is incorrect.

from the Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage (1985) by William and Mary Morris:

" 'Preventative' is not a correct word. The form does exist as a mistaken variant of 'preventive.' It is what linguists call 'an irregularly formed doublet' and should be avoided. It is listed in the 'Oxford English Dictionary' and some American dictionaries but 'preventive' is always given as the preferred form. The great English word expert H.W. Fowler remarked that "'preventative' is a needless lengthening of an established word, due to oversight or caprice." Perhaps Americans have fallen into the habit of using 'preventative' because of its similarity to 'representative,' but it represents a serious trend in American speech. The use of 'preventative' for 'preventive,' of 'filtrate' for 'filter,' of 'experimentalize' for 'experiment,' and of 'finalize' for 'end' seems to be a part of a trend toward the elimination of simple, precise words in favor of flowery, pretentious gobbledegook."

Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I work with a large corporate group that has a terrible propensity to turn nouns into verbs. The two that make me cringe the most are "We need to solution that" and "Wait until I receipt it in the computer before you take it". You cannot convince them these two words are not verbs.
Oh that's horrible!!! How do you keep from jumping off a bridge? This is why we can't allow even a couple of words to get misused -- it opens the door more and more and pretty soon, people like those in your company are using every noun as a verb!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think it is incorrect.

from the Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage (1985) by William and Mary Morris:

" 'Preventative' is not a correct word. The form does exist as a mistaken variant of 'preventive.' It is what linguists call 'an irregularly formed doublet' and should be avoided. It is listed in the 'Oxford English Dictionary' and some American dictionaries but 'preventive' is always given as the preferred form. The great English word expert H.W. Fowler remarked that "'preventative' is a needless lengthening of an established word, due to oversight or caprice." Perhaps Americans have fallen into the habit of using 'preventative' because of its similarity to 'representative,' but it represents a serious trend in American speech. The use of 'preventative' for 'preventive,' of 'filtrate' for 'filter,' of 'experimentalize' for 'experiment,' and of 'finalize' for 'end' seems to be a part of a trend toward the elimination of simple, precise words in favor of flowery, pretentious gobbledegook."

Well, you've got me then because Fowler is someone I admire a great deal.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,681,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Someone in that group needs to grow their vocabulary!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Someone in that group needs to grow their vocabulary!
Can't rep you again, but that was a good one. Laughed out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing