Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM

83 posts, read 206,891 times

Advertisements

You will get just that at FanStory, honest criticism. Good luck gkleoni1!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,345,822 times
I sent you a private message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM

69 posts, read 132,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Yes, which makes me feel a little silly because that assumes someone would actually want to copy my ideas but you never know. I am not afraid of some good honest criticism; in fact that is exactly what I want.
I've never known another writer who was ripped off like that. Once you post it, it's a public record that it's your work.

And another thing, most of us think our ideas are better than someone elses...just sayin.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
I've never known another writer who was ripped off like that. Once you post it, it's a public record that it's your work.

And another thing, most of us think our ideas are better than someone elses...just sayin.
As I recall, Marion Zimmer Bradley's last Darkover novel was never published because a 'fan' claimed it was really her idea, and that MZB had ripped her off. Since she's now deceased, no one will ever read the book that wasn't.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 PM

295 posts, read 1,180,772 times
I am right there with you! I am trying to get back into writing after being blocked for various reasons for years. I am terrified of showing anything to anybody but I do want to one day have a book published so I guess that I will need to overcome this fear.

Right now I am writing children's stories and working my way up to short stories before attempting the novel that I know is in me.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
As I recall, Marion Zimmer Bradley's last Darkover novel was never published because a 'fan' claimed it was really her idea, and that MZB had ripped her off. Since she's now deceased, no one will ever read the book that wasn't.
I don't know about anyone else, but I trust electronic time and date stamps. No idea is completely original, they've all been done before in some form. Copy seven words in a row and you are a thief, but write about vampires vs slayers and you are fine and how many times has that been done?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,010,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
No idea is completely original, they've all been done before in some form.
Well my ideas are 100% original, never been seen before and the best thing ever to boot! LOL

I do know my fears are not exactly founded in anything factual. I do want/need feedback but I do also think writers can get inspired by some else's written word and I just want to be cautious. Or maybe that is just the excuse I use to avoid a harsh critique?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well my ideas are 100% original, never been seen before and the best thing ever to boot! LOL

I do know my fears are not exactly founded in anything factual. I do want/need feedback but I do also think writers can get inspired by some else's written word and I just want to be cautious. Or maybe that is just the excuse I use to avoid a harsh critique?
You can get critiques from absolutewrite, a really good writer's site, but you will need to develop a tough hide first. They don't hold back.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,302,133 times
Quote:

No, I know what you mean. I feel pretty much the same way. Don't think my work is that spectacular, yet I do have some pause about posting on the internet with something that hasn't yet been "officially" copyrighted. Especially a short work like a poem or song. (Yes, I understand that just writing it gives you the copyright really, but I mean actually "registered" and all officially.)

Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
No, I know what you mean. I feel pretty much the same way. Don't think my work is that spectacular, yet I do have some pause about posting on the internet with something that hasn't yet been "officially" copyrighted. Especially a short work like a poem or song. (Yes, I understand that just writing it gives you the copyright really, but I mean actually "registered" and all officially.)
You don't want to get a copyright on a novel....no you don't...think about it and see if you know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing