Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 PM

693 posts, read 1,040,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I have really wanted to share a few samples here to get some feedback but I guess I am feeling overly protective of my writing. Anyone else feel that way? I guess it pretty silly but I think what if someone take my idea and runs with it? Any suggestions on ways to get feedback from other writers? Maybe if it were not online I would feel more comfortable. TIA
Not knowing what your genre is . . . there are several professional organzations where you can submit your work for critique. For example, I am a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators. It is a world wide organization and they have monthly critique meetings in various cities around the nation. Another benefit to belonging is that there is an online message board that not only provides a ton of information, but is open to manuscript submissions for critique.

I don't know of any one website that can provide an all inclusive list of reputable organizations, but the book "2009 Writer's Market" published by Writers Digest Books is a great resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM

225 posts, read 574,761 times
I've been in a few workshops and am very selective about readers. Not everyone is good at critique. Plus you have to be careful about putting your work online in forums - there are literary magazine editors who consider that publishing.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
The only caveat I'd give would be this direct quote from City Data's Terms of Service:

By registering and posting on City-Data.com's Forums you grant owners of City-data.com forum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to license, use, modify, or publish your posts in any media and manner whatsoever.

If you hope to some day publish a particular piece, it might be best not to post it (or excerpts from it) here.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,491 times
I have learned that I can't make everyone happy. When writers create, we have to become channelers, sometimes. I have a problem writing believable dialogue, so I often read it out loud. A character might have terrible grammar, so I use it. I envy writers who can describe something so well that I feel like I am there, and I especially like reading a story that I never want to end. Writing from a past era can be tricky, too. Writing can help keep the mind sharp. (she said, getting a gold star and graham crackers from her teacher)

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I have really wanted to share a few samples here to get some feedback but I guess I am feeling overly protective of my writing. Anyone else feel that way? I guess it pretty silly but I think what if someone take my idea and runs with it?
I know someone that this has happened to, I have to say it does make me think twice.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,491 times
Writers develop little quirks, and habits. No one can write exactly like we do in the long run. No one can come up with the same characters. We fingerprint our work. Many writers take great pains to use obscure words, and do it well. Some of us are fixated on tiny details that may escape the average reader, but delight that one lone reader who adores what we do. Why would some of us ever need to plagarize when we have a whole world living inside our heads ? My characters have to eat, and walk on carpets. They don't just get folded away. When I'm writing, they are part of my life, as well. I find myself at a buffet staring at strangers, thinking : "Dang ! He looks like Roger, the gay jeweler who hates the new mannequin".

Old 07-12-2009, 02:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Why would some of us ever need to plagarize when we have a whole world living inside our heads ?
And yet some still do... You not understanding why they would need to doesn't seem to stop them from doing it.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
I've been in a few workshops and am very selective about readers. Not everyone is good at critique. Plus you have to be careful about putting your work online in forums - there are literary magazine editors who consider that publishing.
yup, that's another concern I've been hearing a lot. from my understanding, publishers prefer to have the rights to a story first, and if it's "published" online, it can no longer get those first rights. but I've never gotten a straight answer about this b/c the folks I've been asking are a bit older and not quite sure how the 'net will influence this

me, personally, I don't plan on posting any writing samples here. I like CD, but there are a few too many trolls floating around to make me comfortable posting something like that here. I'm lucky to have access to critiques via my school and classmates/professors, though I may check out other, more restricted sites like the Writer's Digest one and the one sailorgirl mentioned (I'm also trying to write a few childrens' stories)

Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I am a little overprotective of having strangers read too much of my writing.. I guess I just can't handle rejection without being hurt..

Maybe my family will try to publish some of it after I am no longer available for comment

Maybe They can even a few bucks from it

Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 PM

136 posts, read 300,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I am a little overprotective of having strangers read too much of my writing.. I guess I just can't handle rejection without being hurt..
I love criticism as to my writing, good or bad. I will listen attentively and try to intuit how the critic is seeing my work...that may help me to improve (in the long run) or give me brand-new ideas. Criticism doesn't hurt me, it helps me grow.

We all need to keep "Dear Reader" in mind! They buy (or reject) the finished product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing