Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,304,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I have really wanted to share a few samples here to get some feedback but I guess I am feeling overly protective of my writing. Anyone else feel that way? I guess it pretty silly but I think what if someone take my idea and runs with it? Any suggestions on ways to get feedback from other writers? Maybe if it were not online I would feel more comfortable. TIA
I feel the exact same way. And to be honest, I think its justified. The best thing to do would be to have friends and family review it first and then maybe take a class and have the professor give you feedback.

Good luck.

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,344,063 times
I shared part of my 'book' with some online friends and I was told it was good and that it was very interesting but for some reason I didn't really think they were serious (maybe they were just saying that to be nice). So in my case, I'm not getting anywhere by sharing what I wrote, I need to find a person who'll be totally honest but not in a mean cruel way, positive criticism is one thing but being torn apart is another.
Since then I haven't really written anything. Some days I think I have an interesting story to write and other days I feel it'll just be another person's life story..

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,281,786 times
You know, I don't like sharing writing samples with a bunch of strangers. Not because I lack confidence, not because I'm worried that somebody won't like it, but I want to make sure it's going in front of careful readers.

Critique groups can be good and useful, but too many of them have one of several problems: 1) The people in it want to rework your story into their image, 2) The people in it have trouble separating the plot, narrative, and characters from their own personal prejudices, or 3) One or two members are far too wrapped up in the idea of thundering their judgment down on others in order to make themselves look like better writers. In short, you've labored for a couple of years to write your novel. Do you really want to subject it to a gangbang?

When writing my first novel, one of the main characters was having an affair. There were no descriptions of sex, but it was pretty clear what he was doing. My first critique group never could give me a coherent set of opinions. One woman couldn't get past the fact that the man has an affair and never gets caught--in other words, she wanted a morality play. Another person wanted more sex in the novel, despite that really not being the point. Another person wanted a happier ending, etc. etc. etc. At first, I worried that I wasn't reaching these people. So I took it to a friend of mine who is a writer, and she said, "Oh, no. This is good stuff." She gave me helpful pointers, and really helped my manuscript.

That's why I prefer individual readers who understand that their job is to help the author most effectively express their point, not put their imprimatur onto the book itself. And the critique group I belong to now is one of real writers, not aspiring ones.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 PM

68 posts, read 88,296 times
Posting in a public forum such as this is a great way to have your work and ideas stolen...try an online writer's group or community instead where you are dealing strictly with other writer's who understand the importance of copyright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing